Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking (newbie) Comments

Options
  • 25-04-2005 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

Hi I got a p4 3.0 processor and an mobo Asus p4p800 delux. I can overclock it by 10% and it seem very stable. 20% had many shut downs and stalls.

Can someone explain if its healthy to overclock and will a 10% overclock have a bad effect on my processor?

Any comments please.

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

overclock as much as ya can without the temperature going over 60degrees on full load. That'd be my limit anyway...some people might go over..

what kind of cooling are u using?

My bro gets an 800mhz overclock with that cpu and board, using a zalman 7700. Had to up the voltages a bit, but temps are quite good at 3.8ghz. His case has excellent airflow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have my 3.4 running totally stable @ 4.0 ghz and had my old 533mhz FSB P3.06 @3.65ghz stable.

There are many guides on the web but I'll summarise the basics:

As you have done, up the FSB slowly until you get signs of instability, then up your Vcore slightly (the voltage supplied to the RAM), this will, hopefully make your system stable again, repeat this process.

Now the limiting factors are:

1. Temperature - Increasing the Vcore and FSB increases the heat output of the CPU. Use either your Mobo's Windows System monitoring software or something like MBM5 to monitor the temps once you are booted to windows and stressing the CPU. Maximum acceptable temperatures vary depending on your chips core. As you have socket 478 chip, it will be either a Northwood or a Prescott core, which have vastly different thermal properties. Do you research by using CPU-Z to find your chip type and the find recommended maximums and do not exceed. You can lower temperatures by upgrading your CPU Heatsink. (you do not say what you are using at the moment)

2. Vcore - There is a limit to how much Voltage you can put through your CPU without damaging it. For 24/7 usage with a Prescott no more than 1.5 Volts is recommended, look up the max 24/7 voltage for a Northwood...if you have one.

3. RAM - Your RAM depending on how good it is may only be rated to run at an FSB of 200mhz (or 133 if an older Northwood chip) and may introduce instability at higher FSB's. Open your PC and check your RAMS rated speed, if it craps out at just over 200FSB, you can use you Mobo to create a CPU / Memory divider. Use the forum I mention below to research further.

Overclocking does cause your CPU to degrade quicker than if not overclocked, but this degredation will not be an issue unless you intend hanging onto your current PC for years and years to come.

I find these forums http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/ to be an invaluable place for finding out just about all the information you will need to achieve your max OC. There are plenty of guides etc located here.

Good luck

Inqui

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

My Chip is a Northwood

My RAM is :- 200mhz RAM !gb in total 2 slots

Cooling CPU heat sink and TErmaltake Shark Full Case Dual Fan

Board is 800fsb P4C800 DElux 478 Board

BTW Asus has Ai Technology viewing the Processor and its still not heating to much !

D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Your mobo is fine, the cpu should be grand too
    Drapper wrote:
    My RAM is :- 200mhz RAM !gb in total 2 slots

What is make and model? Unless it is very serious stuff, your memory is most likely your bottleneck

If it is good stuff you could get more but it will be probably need higher vdimm and possibly slacker timings

Your cpu might need some higher vcore as well

As for the longevity of an overclocked cpu, not everyone agrees, but provided your temps are reasonably ok, the technical lifetime of an overclocked cpu is usually longer than it's economic lifetime. Example: a cpu could last for 10 years without overclock. With a heavy overclock this might be reduced to 3 years. If you buy a cpu now, in 3 years time it will be virtually worthless anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Alright, like unkel says if yer RAM is nothing special it won't overclock very far.

But, if your mobo supports it, it may allow you to put in a CPU / Memory divider ie. 5:4

so your actual FSB could be 250mhz, but your memory will only be 200mhz

look for this option in your BIOS

Otherwise you'll have to lash out on some new memory to go further than you have.

Find out the max 24/7 Vcore for your 3.0 Northwood from the website above, and everytime you get instability up the Vcore a notch or 2 until it becomes stable again. Also find the max load temperature your CPU should run at happily and make sure it is not exceeded.

Each time you boot run the Prime95 torture test for 5 minutes and check the stability and the temperatures. You can dl Prime95 from here
    http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/software/systemueberwachung/prime95/
    among many many places.

Your stock cpu heatsink will also limit your OC, you can buy better cooling options for about 30 yoyos from peats or komplett. But your memory should be the first thing you check. Note down the make and part number and do some googling.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Have not had much look with the termal max on the 3.0 gz Northwood !

Anyone know where I might get help ?

My CPu is usually at about 38 degees with no clocking and and is still around that temp with 10% overclocking !

That cant be bad ? see not clocked !

How much into the yelow can the CPU go ? as I've a Shard VA700 BWA case with two internal 12 cm fans !! Anything else I should be using ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

is the asus utility any good?? id use bios overclocking if i were you. Probably more stable

gline wrote:
    is the asus utility any good?? id use bios overclocking if i were you. Probably more stable

I used the Bios, then checked the results but the Ai lets me know whil in the OS whats going on !! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Thermal max depends on the stepping but it's usually 69-71c so take 70 as your max. Ideally you want to keep it under 60c though to allow for changes in ambient temps.

You need to check your load temps. Theres no point checking while idle. Download prime 95 and run the second stress test for about 15 mins to allow it to reach max temp. This program is great for testing stability as well. When you reach near your max overclock let it run for a few hours or overnight to check for stability.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

gline wrote:

Not the most acurate - normally about 5% -10% out on the actual readings-
    I had a p4 3.0ghz 800fsb- Northwood
    Asus p4p800 deluxe (same as yours )
    Zalman 7000Cu -
    1 Gig of (2x 512Mb Gold DDR RAM PC4000 DDR500 OCZ)
    500Mhz, 184 pins, 64 bit, CAS 2.5 4-4-7 set at 2.8v - 2.9v

I was hitting 3.7Ghz no problems with the zalman -

More than likely the memory you have is causing this -

gets some decent memory

• Advertisement
Advertisement