Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An ISP for someone who travels bet UK and Ire?

Options
  • 25-04-2005 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭

I dont know where to post this so I hope it ok here.

I need an ISP phone number for a UK dial up

Anyone know of a number like eircoms 1892 pay as you go in the UK?
    Its for a business user who is now and again in the UK.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

There are loads of pay as you go ISP's in the UK - check out btyahoo.com, tiscali.co.uk, tesco.net etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭worded

Cheers .........

Any that provide "a free" non subscription dial up?

Like the 1892 eircom with any username and any password?

Will do the research but if anyone knows a free" one off hand cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

nothing is free. 1892 isnt free.
    u are always going to pay local call rates. tiscali, virgin, there are loads, i would go with virgin personally as i think their service was good.

Eircom 1892150150 I agree its not "free" but you can use any user name or password.

Its a non subscription pay per month "free" service where you pay as you go.

So does anyone know number which is the like the 1892 eircom number in the UK?

0845 is the equivelent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

You could use this, this or this! but I think it might be slightly cheaper if you just register your own details with one of the companies buffybot mentioned.

Unless someone here can give you their account details as you will need a username and password for most if not all these isp's.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Its a non subscription pay per month "free" service where you pay as you go.

The concept of "pay as you go" is lost on you, I presume?

ISP info so far is exactly what I needed - cheers,

I have been asked for the easiest solution for this for a friend who will randomly be going to England.

Q1) Is it possible to leave the Eircom in/outgoing servers mail2.eircom.net
    as is or do they have to be changed to the English isps?

Q2) What is the smartest way to do this? Ive just read about Outlook profiles. Is that the answer?

Thanks in advance

just run the isps installation program, it will configure everything. then in my network places, show network connections it will show 2 isps, eircomnet and the new 'default' uk one. right click on eircomnet one and make it default. then when he goes to the uk, right click on say the virgin one and make it default.

it isnt that difficult. just go with virgin, download the program and install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Moved from AH

• Advertisement

Setting up connections is fine - a good one is

start run inetwiz

From that all thats needed is User name password and isp phone number - To establish a connection - Thats cools.

The question is - Will the uk connection accept eircoms in/outgoing mail servers in Outlook when the person sends / receive from UK?

If no the person either swaps the setting in Outlook to the UK pop servers.
    Ive a suspicion that one pop server may have to be changed - i.e. the incoming server.

One easy way to test it is to dial a uk isp long distance from here (+44) - and send/rec from outlook and see.

Cont .......................

Or perhaps an Outlook UK profile and Outlook Ire profile can be set up to swap them automatically. Ive read briefly about Outlook profiles last night

The question is - Will the uk connection accept eircoms in/outgoing mail servers in Outlook when the person sends / receive from UK?
    Yes!
    No!

Absolutely nothing has to be changed in Outlook. The way you send/recieve email has nothing to do with the way you connect to the internet. Just establish your connection to the UK isp and everything else will work the same!

funny u should ask that but when i was in the uk i was able to receive mail in outlook but unable to send it for some reason. cant tell u why that is. (was using mail.oceanfree.net in incoming and smtp.oceanfree.net in outgoing. beats me as to what the problem was

anyway he can always send the mail online by logging in thru interent explorer.

my advice is to switch to a good mail service like gmail, best thing i did. thru countless reloads all my email is still there. outlook express is a disaster in my opinion.

lomb wrote:
    funny u should ask that but when i was in the uk i was able to receive mail in outlook but unable to send it for some reason. cant tell u why that is.
    Actually now that I think of it, some isp's might restrict the use of their outgoing mail servers to a specific country/region only. Eircom might do this I dont know. In any case youd be better off with an international email address like gmail as lomb suggested.

If it is the case that you cannot use eircoms outgoing mail server to send out mail then Id suggest changing it to a Uk isp that allows this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Philbert wrote:
    Actually now that I think of it, some isp's might restrict the use of their outgoing mail servers to a specific country/region only. Eircom might do this I dont know. In any case youd be better off with an international email address like gmail as lomb suggested.

If it is the case that you cannot use eircoms outgoing mail server to send out mail then Id suggest changing it to a Uk isp that allows this.

mail1.eircom.net will only relay mail that originates in their IP pool.

Advertisement