Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POP3 Server Address for Smart Telecom?

• 25-04-2005 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Does anyone out there know of a POP3 server address for outgoing mail for Smart Telecom. It would be nice to be able to use Outlook with Smart...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

they do not have one, yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

& whats that got to do with anything????

Can,t find the post at the moment but Garfield answered this last week. I think its only a short term problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

ReefBreak wrote:
    of a POP3 server address for outgoing mail

!!!??!
    [pedantic]no such thing,mate:D [/pedantic]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If you're running Windows, get MailEnable and it will do the outgoing relay stuff for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

declans banned for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

Blaster99 wrote:
    If you're running Windows, get MailEnable and it will do the outgoing relay stuff for you.
    Hardly a real solution for many home users.

The fact that Smart Telecom don't have an e-mail solution suggests that they are not really set up yet to take real residential/soho Customers. It is unusual for an ISP to suggest that its users use gmail!
    Combine this with the lack of information on voice services, the lack of a support website, the lack of comprehensive FAQs etc.
    I don't think that there is a hope in hell that they could cope with 5000 new customers a month, the number being talked about elsewhere on boards.ie for "automated LLU".
    Let's hope that they have the good sense to move to address these deficiencies during the period where they are adding handfuls of Customers. It would be a shame to see a loss of the enormous goodwill towards them that was generated by their aggressive pricing and ambitious plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Hardly a real solution for many home users.
    I agree, although for the moment I've downloaded MailEnable and it works fine. So thanks to Blaster99 for the info.

From my quick reading of this MailEnable software. It turns your pc into a SMTP relay right?

I'm not a genius on this SMTP stuff so excuse me if I'm wrong

But since there is no MX record assocaited with your IP (domain if necessary) a few spam filters would mark it very highly and a few ISP's would just bounce the email since it has no records (eg: AOL for example)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I would presume so, however I haven't read up on it yet.
    TimTim wrote:
    From my quick reading of this MailEnable software. It turns your pc into a SMTP relay right?

I'm not a genius on this SMTP stuff so excuse me if I'm wrong

But since there is no MX record assocaited with your IP (domain if necessary) a few spam filters would mark it very highly and a few ISP's would just bounce the email since it has no records (eg: AOL for example)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

MailEnable is incidently both a POP post office and an SMTP relay. Pretty handy piece of software and very easy to setup.

I've only used it where I have MX records setup, but I would have thought spam filters work off the e-mail address?

Nah, alot of spam filters are based on heuristics (sp?) since forging the from email address is so easy a monkey could do it.

Personally I know SpamAssassin (sp again. =/ ) can be/or is configured to do look ups on IP address and the lot because I got it as a warning one day.

Hmm further investigate shows it as HELO and IP addresses are used too. But as I said, I'm not a genius at SMTP and filtering
    Content analysis details:   (17.5 points, 5.0 required)

pts rule name              description
    ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
     4.2 MIME_BOUND_DD_DIGITS   Spam tool pattern in MIME boundary
     4.2 X_MESSAGE_INFO         Bulk email fingerprint (X-Message-Info) found
     0.0 MISSING_DATE           Missing Date: header
     0.6 RCVD_HELO_IP_MISMATCH  Received: HELO and IP do not match, but should
     1.5 RCVD_NUMERIC_HELO      Received: contains an IP address used for HELO
     2.0 URIBL_AB_SURBL         Contains an URL listed in the AB SURBL blocklist
                                [URIs: broadcastadvertise.org]
     0.5 URIBL_WS_SURBL         Contains an URL listed in the WS SURBL blocklist
     3.9 URIBL_SC_SURBL         Contains an URL listed in the SC SURBL blocklist
     0.5 MIME_HEADER_CTYPE_ONLY 'Content-Type' found without required MIME headers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dr_sausage

ReefBreak wrote:
    Does anyone out there know of a POP3 server address for outgoing mail for Smart Telecom. It would be nice to be able to use Outlook with Smart...

Never mind any of the above, the smtp is.... smtp.mysmart.ie
    just enter it with your pop3 into your outlook and your off.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

iano wrote:
    the lack of a support website, the lack of comprehensive FAQs etc.

Smart aupport website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

digitaldr wrote:
    This thread was started almost a year ago.
    Smart did indeed implement an e-mail solution and a support website shortly afterwards.

Advertisement