Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JVC-MH30 No Sound!

Options
  • 25-04-2005 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Help please,

I bought a JVC-MH30 DVD recorder on Ebay from one of their approved sellers in Germany. The main use of this machine is to record soccer matches & other sports from my Sky+ onto DVD's to build up a library. It does this flawlessly.
    However, I am just after discovering that when I hook it up to NTL Basic, I can get every station perfectly, except that there is no sound. It even confirms this for me with a little oval symbol in the on screen display.
    I have reloaded the machine from start several times, I have tuned it via smartlink from my TV, I have even adjusted two of the stations manually by single fine increments. In every case the picture is crystal clear the sound is absent.
    A novena will be offered for all contributors

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

As it's from Germany, the tuner is PAL B/G, which has a different audio carrier to Ireland/UK (we use PAL I). But, it should have sound if connected to TV via Scart, I think?

Is there nowhere on the menu's to change System Audio to PAL I?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

When will people ever learn ?!:rolleyes: You get nothing for nothing.

Read the instructions on Page 71 of the Subsidary Settings section in the users manual under the heading : Notes on the left side of the page. this will point you to page 72 with instructions on changing the sound system used by the unit. The manual is available HERE and the ones I browsed were for the models DR-MH30 /SE /SEK /SER.

Get the proper model number from the back of your unit and get the appropriate manual or read the one that came with it. There's a good chance that the model you've bought won't have the option for PAL/I as Byte said above but all 3 manuals I downloaded all referred to the same setting instructions even though they were 3 different models so it's possible . . you never know!

Let's know how you get on !

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

Um, feeling a little stupid but also a little more optimistic. Will follow your advice tonight and let you know. Thanks a lot

Thanks ZENER, but unfortunately the insstructions on page 72 didn't work.

Somehow I have to find a way to change System Audio to PAL I, as byte suggested.

Any ideas (sob!)

byte

After doing some googling, and it seems that it is only Pal B/G and D/K but not I. :(

All I can suggest now, is email JVC at info@jvc.co.uk explaining that you want your German machine to change from Pal B/G to Pal I. Perhaps there is a service menu (unlikely) or, perhaps there is firmware available to flash the drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I suspected as much to be honest but I thought there may just have been a chance. Changing the audio standard from B/G to I would involve replacing a component in the tuner section, something I used to do from time to time for people in a similar situation with VCRs.

Fairly simple to do with those if you know what you're about. If there isn't a "service menu" where this can be changed, which I suspect there isn't, any TV engineer worth his salt may be able to do the conversion for you - be prepared to pay though.

ZEN

Thanks byte & ZENER. Will try the info@jvc.co.uk route and then I think I will go in to a long bout of depression.

byte

Let us know how you get on. If they fail, do as Zener says and get the tuner section modded. Might be a bit dear, but worth it. Ask around a few local electrical stores or something.

Thanks all, tried all your suggestions and they are not totally workable so I have decided to take over JVC and fire everybody.

byte

Ah. Are you looking for staff? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement