Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre thread depth

Options
  • 25-04-2005 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Do people actually check this, using a zero end measurement ruler, and how often? Or do you just know by eye/feel that it is time for new tyres?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Tread depth isn't the only way to check if you need new tyres, the sidewalls are extremely important, dodgy tread depth can give you loss of traction, dodgy sidewalls can cause a major blowout

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

vector wrote:
    Do people actually check this, using a zero end measurement ruler, and how often? Or do you just know by eye/feel that it is time for new tyres?
    Most tyres these days have tread wear indicators on them. These are 1.6 mm high blocks of rubber located in the tread groves. When the tyre wears down to the top of the block, it's time to change the tyre.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

just use the built in thread indicators myself. not gonna leave it go as long next time. tyres were just on the limit when i checked on a tuesday so i decide i'll buy new tyres on the saturday. driving the wednesday in heavy rain, i lose traction in a corner and slide into a kerb. costing me almost 2 grand for repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

You should be able to pick up a tyre thread depth gauge for a couple of quid.
    Also watch for tyres unevenly worn - particularly dangerous when the inside is worn if you only check the outside middle grooves.
    Flat-spots are another danger - the whole thread has to be above 1.6mm - except vintage cars and motorbikes which are 1mm.

"Bald? No officer. Those are racing slicks"

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Don't wait to you see the indicators. All motoring organisations advise to change at 2mm at the latest. If there is one thing you shouldn't make false economies on, it is tyres!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I am not being pedantic but it is TREAD depth not thread.
    The rough guide is a match head deep, but your tyres are compromised on grip not to mention wet weather ability long before you get to 1.6mm depth
    Just remember that the only sticking you to the road are four patches of rubber each about the size of the palm of your hand.
    Getting maximum wear out of a tyre is false economy, In many other European countries it is more than 1.6mm thats where all the 2nd hand tyres come from.

Advertisement