Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its turn off your telly week!

• 25-04-2005 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

How to start a riot the White Dot way

Good luck lads just avoid pubs with football matches on, eh?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Sweet Jesus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Its websites like that, that make me want to watch telly in public places, just to spite them. I should set up telly's in all the windows and send a picture to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Arabel wrote:
    Its websites like that, that make me want to watch telly in public places, just to spite them. I should set up telly's in all the windows and send a picture to them.

well said! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Why, exactly? I mean, aside from being "non-conformist" or just plain reactionary? I mean, sporting fixtures - fine. But does anyone really need to watch Fair Sh*tty in the pub? Or Big Brother/Survivor/WhateverRealityTVShíte'sPopularThis Month? Honestly?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I'll be doing my best to avoid television this week, but not as part of some grand expression of my distain or anything, just because my thesis is due on Friday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Fysh wrote:
    Why, exactly? I mean, aside from being "non-conformist" or just plain reactionary? I mean, sporting fixtures - fine. But does anyone really need to watch Fair Sh*tty in the pub? Or Big Brother/Survivor/WhateverRealityTVShíte'sPopularThis Month? Honestly?

Generally I agree with you but these days the alternative to telly noise isn't quiet, it is tossers shouting all the dreary inanities of their sad lives into mobile phones. It's a close call but I'd rather the telly, at least there is a chance of something interesting being said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I really don't like televisions in public places.

Airports are particualrly annoying. It's always FOX news or CNN being shoved down your throat and there is rarely anywhere you can sit to get away from the thing.

And if i go to a pub, I go there to have a drink and a conversation... I thought that was the whole point... I really don't want to get a stiff neck from watching some poorly positioned and out of tune television set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The trouble with TVs in a pub, or cafe or other meeting place, is that your eyes are drawn towards it, like a chesty woman in a low cut top. Must be the flashing lights and moving pictures just grabs you attention. I much prefer to go to a pub without a TV. Some decent music in the background is far better, though not thumping loud deafening music like they have in Mollys in Limerick. Man that place is LOUD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

jor el wrote:
    The trouble with TVs in a pub, or cafe or other meeting place, is that your eyes are drawn towards it, like a chesty woman in a low cut top. Must be the flashing lights and moving pictures just grabs you attention. I much prefer to go to a pub without a TV. Some decent music in the background is far better, though not thumping loud deafening music like they have in Mollys in Limerick. Man that place is LOUD.
    Ha.. don't get me started on music in pubs!

I really hate it when you get a seat that is next to or under the telly... and you forget it's there and it suddenly looks like lots of people are staring at you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 smeee

I couldn't turn the telly off... I'd have to talk to the wife

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

i dont really what tv and when i do itsa film that one of us wanted to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Inspired by whitedot's 'direct action' ethos I think I'm now going to have 'don't visit www.whitedot.org week' in protest of their sheer lack of perspective to life, starting ..... now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Prior to the World Cup in 1990 (Italeeeeeee Nineteen-Nineteeeeeeeeeee) there were no tvs in pubs. Now you can't farking go anywhere without a tv. Usually showing golf, portuguese 4 th division football, darts or some other sh1te.

I say NO SPORT IN PUBS.

If you want to watch football do it at home, leave the pubs for drinkers and talkers.

Advertisement