Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT broadband - require €125 deposit if you are in renting accommodation

Options
  • 25-04-2005 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Based in Galway city

On 19-Apr ordered broadband + line rental from EsatBT - their new offer of €49.

Received e-mail acknowledging order.

Nothing else in the meantime so decided today to check via their website. Found out that my order status was 'rejected'.

Rang EsatBT customer care. After being bounced around 3/4 different agents, finally got found out why my order was rejected. I live in rented accommodation so must pay a deposit of €125. The payment method is by cheque (!) - no facility online to pay this.

When I signed up initially there was no mention of this either on their web form or the terms and conditions.

Had provided them with my credit card details for payment so I don't see why they need a deposit.....and the only way to provide this is by cheque.....prehistoric.....

Anyone else experience this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Might be an Anti-Fraud measure by BT Ireland, as someone who may have lived their in the past could decide to order broadband and have it charged to your bill (as they would have utility bills and licences etc.. for that address), this is just from my days working for Eircell Vodafone & Vodafone at the time we would have to get additional details from the person wishing to sign on to a Bill Monthly Service.

Im only presuming this is the reason, paying €125 euro via cheque means that they know your serious about the service, its another way of validating that your currently at that residence, it also detairs any past persons from ordering a service which you did not order.

I Would think you will get the €125 euro back or they will not lodge the cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

never heard that.

are you paying by direct debit?
    i know esb and bord gais make you pay a deposit if you wont set up a DD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not so, I pay my esb by cash and they never asked me for a deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 crenacille

Blitz wrote:
    Might be an Anti-Fraud measure by BT Ireland, as someone who may have lived their in the past could decide to order broadband and have it charged to your bill (as they would have utility bills and licences etc.. for that address), this is just from my days working for Eircell Vodafone & Vodafone at the time we would have to get additional details from the person wishing to sign on to a Bill Monthly Service.

Im only presuming this is the reason, paying €125 euro via cheque means that they know your serious about the service, its another way of validating that your currently at that residence, it also detairs any past persons from ordering a service which you did not order.

I Would think you will get the €125 euro back or they will not lodge the cheque.

When I signed up for the offer, I chose electronic billing and provided my credit cards details. Surely this should be enough for me to prove that I am genuine.......

I have spoken with other people (also renting) who use esatbt and this requirement was not needed. At a previous address I used utv broadband and they didn't ask for this either.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Maybe the address is blacklisted?

Happened to me in UK. The previous 2 house owners had run up debts and bailed. Result everyone wanted a deposit, damm near impossible to get a loan (actually a good thing with hindsight).

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

as i said before crenacille im only throwing out possibilities here

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Chalk wrote:
    never heard that.

are you paying by direct debit?

Yes, the ESB asked me for a deposit before, however when I rang back later and got a different lady (much nicer) she didn't mention anything about a deposit and I got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Stay away from Bt if I was you,I was with them for 15 months and nothing but hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

That is strange, i'm renting and I had no problem getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

How did they know that your place was rented?
    Do they ask on the application form, and if they do then you could just answer no, this isint an insurance policy you're getting it is just a company that is providing a service you could lie*

(while I cannot condone providing false information I can acknowledge it as an option)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This just happened to me this morning. While I can understand that BT might be concerned about fraud, there are existing mechanisms for credit checking, and tbh the fee is excessive, especially considering I'm using my own modem.

However that's not what pissed me off. It's only a hundred bucks, and I'll get it back in six months, or when I leave. What does piss me off is they don't call to move the order on. In fact I rang earlier in the week and nobody even mentioned it to me.

In all seriousness, who designed these systems? Please, somebody find out their name so I can murder them in their bed.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

>...I'll get it back in six months...

you'll get your money back? good luck, if you do I guarantee I'll buy you a pint*

*this is a not a guarantee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If I don't get the deposit back within one month of either a) the six month period or b) leaving BT, I guarantee I'll buy you a pint. And there's no footnotes in my post.

adam

Advertisement