Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving annoyances

Options
  • 25-04-2005 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

i came across two things that irritate me so much today...

1-people who think ramps are pedestrian crosses. admittedly some are, and cars are slowing down at this point but it does not give people the right to march out onto a ramp without looking.

2-people who dont use indicators!!!! especially when your on a busy roundabout and need to know when a chance to get out is coming!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye i noticed number 2 in carlow a lot. nobody ever uses indicators in carlow. its ridiculous. drives me up the wall too when ur waitin for ppl to come round then they turn off early. or if ur watin at a T junction for them to drive past then they turn off, so u didnt have to wait at all!

i blame the schools!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

number two happened me up at the roundabout near tesco/woodies around 5pm, argh!!!! and number one happened me in john sweeny park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye i live up by that roundabout. thats where I was talkin about. the "T" junction I was talkin bout is up past woodies and Aldi. dunno where john sweeney park is though. i dont even drive but as a passenger, it even gets annoyin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

The_B_Man wrote:
    ye i noticed number 2 in carlow a lot. nobody ever uses indicators in carlow. its ridiculous. drives me up the wall too when ur waitin for ppl to come round then they turn off early. or if ur watin at a T junction for them to drive past then they turn off, so u didnt have to wait at all!

i blame the schools!

Agree with you mate, i fcuking hate people who dont use indicators, if i come to a round about and i see someones not using an indicator most times(if its safe enough) il drive out in front of them. :mad:

its not even a matter of courtesy its a matter of safety also!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Indicator thing pisses me off so much! Even if it's broken it's like,bring a torch!

LadyJ wrote:
    Indicator thing pisses me off so much! Even if it's broken it's like,bring a torch!

a torch or a flame from hell satan?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

a torch or a flame from hell satan?!
    Yeah,I just breath fire out my window as I'm turning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

LadyJ wrote:
    Yeah,I just breath fire out my window as I'm turning :D
    Thats what you get for not using protection. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Agree with you mate, i fcuking hate people who dont use indicators, if i come to a round about and i see someones not using an indicator most times(if its safe enough) il drive out in front of them. :mad:
    But if they're taking the second exit then they shouldn't indicate until they are passing the first exit, so, uh, what if you are at that first exit and pull out in front of them :eek: :D

Ppl who don't indicate are a pita. As are ppl who do indicate - but incorrectly - especially at roundabouts - but the rules of the road are ambiguous about this - so it's not surprising really :rolleyes:

Anyway, I never trust peoples indicators - so even if they were indicating I'd wait until they had passed or taken their turn or whatever before I commit to my move. I've lost count of the number of times somebody indicates they're turning left while I'm waiting to get out - but they don't take the turn and just sail on - into what would have been me if I had pulled out :mad:

causal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

LadyJ wrote:

Who needs indicators if you have excellent accelerator response.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

causal wrote:
    Ppl who don't indicate are a pita. As are ppl who do indicate - but incorrectly - especially at roundabouts - but the rules of the road are ambiguous about this - so it's not surprising really :rolleyes:
    http://www.iol.ie/~pt/roadrule.html
    I think that the rules for roundabouts are quite clear.
    1) Indicate before you exit
    2) If taking the second exit, do not indicate right but indicate left after passing the first exit.
    3) If taking the third or subsequent exit, indicate right until you pass the second last exit when you indicate left.

I've never read the actual Road Traffic Act wording.
    The National Safety Council ran a series of ads last year about how to indicate correctly on roundabouts. It seems like those that didn't use their indicators missed it each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

causal wrote:
    Anyway, I never trust peoples indicators - so even if they were indicating I'd wait until they had passed or taken their turn or whatever before I commit to my move. I've lost count of the number of times somebody indicates they're turning left while I'm waiting to get out - but they don't take the turn and just sail on - into what would have been me if I had pulled out :mad:

causal

I am the same. Indicators are not legally binding. If you pull out on the basis that someone is indicating and he does not turn and drives into you, you are at fault not him.

Better safe than sorry.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

The_B_Man wrote:
    nobody ever uses indicators in carlow. its ridiculous.

Carlow must be full of BMW drivers then :rolleyes:

if i come to a round about and i see someones not using an indicator most times(if its safe enough) il drive out in front of them. :mad:

I dont do that myself as I'd be liable if something did happen but I usually just give the ppl a fright if I can by pretending to jump onto the roundabout. They soon get it :)

daymobrew wrote:
    http://www.iol.ie/~pt/roadrule.html
    I think that the rules for roundabouts are quite clear.
    1) Indicate before you exit
    2) If taking the second exit, do not indicate right but indicate left after passing the first exit.
    3) If taking the third or subsequent exit, indicate right until you pass the second last exit when you indicate left.
    If that was all the rotr said it would be quite clear. But it isn't...
    ... if you look at the rules of the road - it also talks about left turn, straight ahead, and right turn. Check out [URL=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/36227/10740.jpg[/URL]

These are two totally different systems, the following 3 statements are not always true:
    1st exit = left turn
    2nd exit = straight ahead
    3rd exit = right turn

That's why I say the rotr are ambiguous.

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

causal wrote:
    If that was all the rotr said it would be quite clear. But it isn't...
    ... if you look at the rules of the road - it also talks about left turn, straight ahead, and right turn. Check out [URL=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/36227/10740.jpg[/URL]

Am I missing something here. The Rules of the road refers to third of subsequent exit, it never mentions left or right. Maybe I'm losing it but I can't see the ambiguity.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Am I missing something here. The Rules of the road refers to third of subsequent exit, it never mentions left or right. Maybe I'm losing it but I can't see the ambiguity.
    You're correct. The rules of the road only refers to 1st, 2nd, etc exits, it doesn't mention left or right.

However, the spirit of the ROTR assumes that, at the very least the second exit is off to the left or straight ahead. Quite often however, the first exit off a roundabout is going straight ahead, and the second exit is in fact a right turn, where clearly the rules, as laid in the ROTR aren't correct. It wouldn't make logical sense to *not* indicate right, if you were taking a second exit which was a right turn.

In a sense, the signals could mean this:

1st exit: I'm signalling left, because I intend to go left

2nd exit: I'm not signalling, because I intend to go straight ahead. However, I am signalling just before my exit so you know that I'm going off. This lets you know that I haven't simply forgotten to use my indicators, and assures you that I am not turning right.

3rd or subs.: I'm signalling right, because I intend to turn right/u-turn.

These interpretations are clearly at odds with the ROTR.

Dude - your observation sucks :eek: :D
    Look at [URL=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/36227/10740.jpg[/URL]
    Do you see halfway doen the page the big red squares with the white writing...
    - MAKING A LEFT TURN
    - TRAVELLING STRAIGHT AHEAD
    - MAKING A RIGHT TURN

- these are the headings accopmanying the illustrations of the roundabout.

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, as causal now points out, the ROTR are quite clearly at odds with themselves, and on the same page! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Lads, I think they are perfectly clear,

A bit of common sense is all that is required here, the first exit can be considered left.

If the first exit is physically straight, then so be it, you would still signal left.

The second exit is considered straight, so do not signal, but when you are just past exit one, signal left.

All subseuqent exits are considered right, so put on the right indicator, but just when you past the last exit before yours, signal left.

So if you want to go around the roundabout 5 times and then go back the way you came, put on the right indicator (because you are not taking either of the first two exits), do your 5 laps, and just when you pass the last exit before yours, hit the left indicator.

Perfectly simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

causal wrote:
    Dude - your observation sucks :eek: :D

That it does :rolleyes:

I was paying attention to the instructions rather then the pictures. Well spotted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Indication is very annoying in this country but one thing thats even worse is the not knowing what to do when on or approaching a roundabout.

Example (apologies if i confuse some people with this description) - roundabout on a dual carriage way... approaching from a lesser road (with 2 lanes) to enter or cross the carriage way. In the left hand lane, you can either turn left onto the carriage way or go straight across the carriage way. In the right hand lane you can go straight across the carriage way or go right, around the roundabout and join the carriage way.
    A perfect example of this is the roundabout at the end of Auburn Ave in Castleknock, which connects to the navan road.

The amount of times people in the right hand lane, who are turning left even though they are in the wrong lane, have almost crashed into me when I try to cross the carriage way from the left lane is unbelievable, even with the massive arrows on the ground telling people where they can and can't go. On one occasion I waved my trusty rules of the road at someone because they thought I was in the the wrong lane.....
    That really, really gets on my nerves....

prospect wrote:
    Lads, I think they are perfectly clear,
    A bit of common sense is all that is required here,
    Common sense isn't that common i.e. what makes 'sense' to you may not make 'sense' to someone else. That's why not everyone uses the system you described
    My common sense tells me to go by exit number because it is most simple and there is no driver interpretation involved.

Both systems work well in certain situations but work poorly in other situations.

And in the absence of clear guidelines from the rotr we are left with ambiguity and uncertainty and we both employ our different systems, equally right (and equally wrong).

causal

causal wrote:
    Both systems work well in certain situations but work poorly in other situations.

I do understand and appreciate your point.
    But what i partly meant, and should have explained it clearer, was common sense on the part of the person making the signal, and the person watching.
    In other words, although our understanding differs, slightly, if i saw you on a roundabout I would be perfectly clear of your intentions, even though i would work it differently.

The problem is people who just make up their own signalling system, or lack there of.....

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dealgan

Indicators ?
    Aren't they the things that you switch on when you're double-parked outside the paper shop, so that other people can see you're blocking the road, andthey'll just have to wait until you come back ?

You know - the funny switch with the red triangle shape on it ?

;)

dealgan wrote:
    Indicators ?
    Aren't they the things that you switch on when you're double-parked outside the paper shop, so that other people can see you're blocking the road, andthey'll just have to wait until you come back ?

You know - the funny switch with the red triangle shape on it ?

;)

You must 'operate' a Blah Mah Wahh
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dealgan

Ah yes, I got the technical term from the owners manual ..

Die Blinkenleiten Tickentocken

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

The worst thing of all has to be those annoying fecks who drive along in the fast lane of a dual carriageway at 60mph... arrrgghhhhh....

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

and outright REFUSING to get the feck into the slow lane... even when you've been behind them for more than 5 minutes :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Or how about a thing I've notice a lot of down this neck of the woods lately,what I call the Poor Mans artic - ie a large 4x4 agricultural tractor drawing large trailers like a dump truck or carrying huge excavators etc doing 20/25 mph and causing miles of tailbacks.Probably running on agri diesel as well,though I'd say very few are farming related.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement