Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

momma needs help with this leaving.

Options
  • 25-04-2005 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Ok so all you lovely ppl are preparing for the leaving? so spare a thought for a poor mom. My last baby is also doing the leaving in June.. I need help. He is very sensitive about me saying anything to him.. but,, he really does not open a book. He misses loads of days from school, and I am really worried for him that he wont do as well as he thinks he will.
    I dont want to be nagging him cos to be honest, I really think he will have a good life and be good at whatever he decides to do. at the moment he wants to be a comedian!! he certainly makes me laugh.
    so can any of you people tell me ...
    what drives ye mad..
    or what exactly should i say when I think he should be studying and he is lounging in front of the tv.
    I love this guy to bits.. he is my baby.
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

Do you have a cousin or friend of the family or anything like that who is an utter failure at everything? If so you can use him/her as a motivator. e.g. One of my best mates got something like 40 points in the leaving cert last year. The night before his first exam he was doing everything but studying. When he ran out of things to do one of his younger brothers suggest he should do some study and cram a few things in, but no he sat in his room listening to anoraks (recorded radio programmes) from the 80's. Now he has a job working in a box factory. That's enough motivation for me to start working for the leaving cert. Just point out the options to him. a) Don't study and end up in a box factory or b) study and get into a good course in college so he can persue his dreams of becoming a comedian.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

You have to try and motivate him. 99.99% of wannabe comedians don't make it. In my opinion, he should try and study for the next 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

In my opinion, he should try and study for the next 2 months.

I think she got that already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

Grinds would also be a good option. Is he able for the work and just not studying or is he falling behind and not able for the work? If he's not able for it then I suggest dropping the level he's doing. If he's able for the work then a good months study should be enough time for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    study for the next 2 months.

Unfortunately there is only 6 weeks and a day left... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

Maybe he has study hours at weekend you can book him into in school. I have a friend who is bad studier so his parents do that, he is stuck in school at desk being watched, he has to study. You could tell your son that principle request this if his marks not good (for all I know they are, I mean no offence). My parents go for sharp shock method - study or leave ireland. it works very well. Maybe study or you must leave/work anything. I know you love son but he not able to move out on his own (I again presume) so if you do punish him he will probably appreciate it in long term.

There is always nicer approach, sit him down ask "you not study?" "What if comedian not work?" "what if pay not good?? good leaving cert may be needed to get day job, You don't want to be living off us forever".

Personally I hate when parents don't tell you what they expect, my parents they did "try you best" but then not mean it so I find that annoying.

Good Luck

Advertisement