Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

doing anything fun this weekend?

• 25-04-2005 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭

apart from study that is?

iv a 21st in doyles on friday so looking forward to that! :p

anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Yup, one of my friends is coming back from a 6 month stay in the US, so there'll be some kind of gathering on friday or saturday night..it'll be quite the pissup I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Nope nothin.

Last weekend however I spent my driving out west.. partying, dancing, karaoke all til the wee hours.. sleeping in a bouncy castle with 15 other people.. having a sing along, swim, game of football and being fed to the point of bursting by our culchie host's mother..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

You might try the Croquet tournament this weekend. Or high Mass in the Chapel. You missed the Regatta last week and the rugby is over for the season for the firsts on weekend matches. teh scar in College park will probably put the lid on any races or first Cricket.

there is a load of stuff on beginning Friday for the Hamilton Mathematical institute.

Oh then again it seems you are only interested in alcohol related events. Maybe that is whay recent student health reports (during student health week no less) showed students are interested in sex drugs and drink? Give the publishers a medal for telling us something we didnt know.

Pardon me for suggesting something non mainstream and conformist to that model. Believe it or not some people like to walk in the park, play sports, go to church and other such events which dont involve getting stoned drunk or having sex. And some of those people are teenage students. One does not have to subscribe to the philosophy that life is about a transition form innocence to experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Wow. congratulations. you posted in a pissed off manner for no apparent reason.

Medal?
    Pardon me for suggesting something non mainstream and conformist to that model.

you are pardoned, as long as you decide not to take offence at how everyone else spends their weekends? other wise my next reply will be "student night here here and here - pardon me for suggesting something mainstream and fully conformist to that model".

in other words - chill winston :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

i do aggree with you ISAW when you say that people need other recreational outlets apart from the pub, other interests etc and many of the posters above do actually have interests outside the pub including myself, but then who has the right to throw the first stone?!

its as bad to judge people you don't know based on a few random statistics from the media (and they are always picking on students!) and a few random posts. well i guess we could all go play croquet and sing ring a ringa rosey, but what's wrong with having a few pints with some good friends instead once in a while? and who said anything about a sexual/ drug taking orgy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

I like Isaw leave him alone.

I missed the regatta unfortunetly, got unexpectedly delayed.

Oh then again it seems you are only interested in alcohol related events. Maybe that is whay recent student health reports (during student health week no less) showed students are interested in sex drugs and drink? Give the publishers a medal for telling us something we didnt know.

I haven't had an alcoholic drink in about 2 months actually..
    Pardon me for suggesting something non mainstream and conformist to that model. Believe it or not some people like to walk in the park, play sports..
    I think you'll find that that describes the best part of the student body..Most students have a fairly responsible attitude to drinking/sex, because if they didn't, they'd all fail their exams and be pregnant/have serious cirrhosis of the liver..

I don't know what exactly prompted your rant..maybe your peers have a bad attitude to alcohol (are you an engineer by any chance?)? Either way, maybe you should be aware that the drinking problem in Ireland is not just confined to students; it's endemic in our society. And I'll leave it up to a sociologist (stargal perhaps?) to suggest a solution..

crash_000 wrote:
    you are pardoned, as long as you decide not to take offence at how everyone else spends their weekends? other wise my next reply will be "student night here here and here - pardon me for suggesting something mainstream and fully conformist to that model".

in other words - chill winston :)

I was wondering if someone would boil over. I was just having a poke, but there is a serious underlying point. Slagging aside, I accept that people work hard and need time off but it doesent always have to involve drink drugs or sex. Going by recent reports I am concerned. Particularly in the possibilities of STD's.

snorlax wrote:
    its as bad to judge people you don't know based on a few random statistics from the media (and they are always picking on students!) and a few random posts. well i guess we could all go play croquet and sing ring a ringa rosey, but what's wrong with having a few pints with some good friends instead once in a while? and who said anything about a sexual/ drug taking orgy?

It isnt a random stats. The report was done at least six months ago covering a large sample >1000 right across the board. There were problems because it didnt look good for some thirsd level institutes. Maybe also they released it in student health week.

I dont have a problem with what a few do. I was trying to point out that from an Objective point of view everyone doing this and it being mainstream is NOT good. It is not good for men to get pissed four times out of five or women three times. It is just silly a waste of money pathetic and bad for your health. Saying otherwise is a stupid basis for a discussion.

what orgy? where? give me the address!

I like Isaw leave him alone.

I missed the regatta unfortunetly, got unexpectedly delayed.

and ISAW likes Kevin.

BIG HUG!

• Advertisement

Pet wrote:
    I haven't had an alcoholic drink in about 2 months actually..

see one way to reply to this is
    Lets go out on the town and get wrecked! I would discourage that type of reply since it isnt really wise in my opinion.
    I think you'll find that that describes the best part of the student body..Most students have a fairly responsible attitude to drinking/sex, because if they didn't, they'd all fail their exams and be pregnant/have serious cirrhosis of the liver..

I agree and the alcohol policy that was brought in about a year ago wouldnt
    really work unless students actually believed in the spirit of responsible drinking. then again there are plenty examples of "laddish" behaviour (not necessarily all cconfinecx to college I mean why is the front gate closed on weekends and the Nassu St one open?) and some of it among sports clubs.
    I don't know what exactly prompted your rant..maybe your peers have a bad attitude to alcohol (are you an engineer by any chance?)? Either way, maybe you should be aware that the drinking problem in Ireland is not just confined to students; it's endemic in our society. And I'll leave it up to a sociologist (stargal perhaps?) to suggest a solution..

I DONT leave it to others. The younger generation needs to get away from the bad parts of the older one whether that be child abuse, violence, hooliganism etc. If you pack 50,000 twenty somethings into the city centre and give them scant to do but stand drinking (they remoddled the pubs because standers take up less space) to loud music ( makes people drink more) then what can people expect? Well there is that and what we learn from our elders. But packing a load of yobs into a war zone ( and dont tell me you havent witnessed some of the bad behaviour and I dont mean pissing in the street) is not a way to pass on how people should behave.

we used to have nice pubs and we are killing the rural pub and the small pub with the drinking factory culture. even the food now is all to draw in the punters for drink.

I would perfer small pubs with NO TV and NO music unless live and not with amplification. They pay little or no licence or a percent of turnover and the factory pubs pay say half a million a year for therir licence plus a percent of turnover. If you opened up the competition the small pub would be wiped out. We are giveing our young people and our tourists ****E pubs and a minority are riding the wave and will be GONE from the business when the money isnt right. YOU might perfer the loud pub where i spill a drink over you and you over me while we shout at each other and pay six euros for that "great fun" but I dont and i think if ther were more small quiet pubs we could have them open all day with much l;ess trouble.

If you aks me if a fourth generation of a family in the suburbs cares about his pub more than a blow in who began with a nightclub for 1000 plus in say Cork and then came to Dublin to make money rather than provide a service then I will tell you who i think should have a pub.

Well the cafe bar license when it is introdoced should be your perfect solution. Personally i appreciate all - sometimes i want to spend my time sitting outside a cafe drinking coffee with my friends, sometimes i want to wander around the park, sometimes i want to have a nice quiet drink in my local and sometimes i like a night out on the town. i dont know how you can generalise that everyone wants one or the other -
    If you aks me if a fourth generation of a family in the suburbs cares about his pub more than a blow in who began with a nightclub for 1000 plus in say Cork and then came to Dublin to make money rather than provide a service then I will tell you who i think should have a pub.

the one who's a decent manager, who knows how to deal with a crowd at the end of a night, who can keep a night good for all involved? is that the correct answer?

or is it the sentimental "The one who CARES for it" answer taht you were looking for?

crash_000 wrote:
    Well the cafe bar license when it is introdoced should be your perfect solution.
    Beat me to it.. In brussels these places were all there were and they were fantastic. An omellette with a beer and the craic, beautiful combo.

I don't like super-pubs. Loud music, high prices, no atmosphere. TV's I wouldn't agree with taking away. There's nothing better than watching the match down the local with your mates. Other than that however they should be off or on mute..

ISAW question: I enjoy going down to a quiet local with my mates and getting completely buckled. My pursuit of this is victimless. Do you have a problem with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Moving to my new Penthouse apartment (hopefully)
    will take up enough time
    And if some time is left, then I will have a Grill Party

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭kt_hughes

If you're looking for something to do you should head to Voodoo on Thursday night (28th April). Ann Harrington and Egomaniax are playing. They're a great band and you'll be up dancing till u forget exams etc etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Gilgamesh wrote:
    Moving to my new Penthouse apartment (hopefully)
    will take up enough time
    And if some time is left, then I will have a Grill Party
    NOTHING on this earth is better than a barbie at someones gaff with a 6 pack each and trying to better each others culinary skills..... me and a few mates have been trying to outdo each other recently.

I make a mean marinated chicken......;)

except if you get worms from pork not cooked properly!

Hate pork, never eat it........

You can get food poisoning from chicken too, thats why I always overcook it slightly...

Might bring some ray wings to the next class BBQ after the exams - they are so good with malaysian spices!

crash_000 wrote:
    Well the cafe bar license when it is introdoced should be your perfect solution. Personally i appreciate all - sometimes i want to spend my time sitting outside a cafe drinking coffee with my friends, sometimes i want to wander around the park, sometimes i want to have a nice quiet drink in my local and sometimes i like a night out on the town. i dont know how you can generalise that everyone wants one or the other -

I didnt- two reports were just publiched on it.
    the one who's a decent manager, who knows how to deal with a crowd at the end of a night, who can keep a night good for all involved? is that the correct answer?

or is it the sentimental "The one who CARES for it" answer taht you were looking for?

The latter. The former who can keep order and get people to have a great time and spend loads of money are the type who took over the FAI and ruined soccer as it was as as national pasttime. Sentiment values and tradition ARE worth something.

Might bring some ray wings to the next class BBQ after the exams - they are so good with malaysian spices!

nothing beats battered cod and chips from burdocks, i wonder what cod would taste like barbequed.

• Advertisement

snorlax wrote:
    nothing beats battered cod and chips from burdocks, i wonder what cod would taste like barbequed.
    it would taste like falling apart into the coals.....

ray has a firmer consistency and tolerates a barbie better....

you could wrap it up in foil and "bake" it on the bbq.

i thought medical type people were trying to turn us off bbqs, with all the food poisoning.

smoked cod is pretty nice, ray is chewy, but don't talk to me about dismembering crabs for a bbq, ugh!

DrIndy wrote:

aldi or Lidl i think had BBQ yokes for holding food on offer this week

ISAW wrote:
    The latter. The former who can keep order and get people to have a great time and spend loads of money are the type who took over the FAI and ruined soccer as it was as as national pasttime. Sentiment values and tradition ARE worth something.

ah yes, i did forget, soccer and pubs are all alike. were you opposed to rule 42 changes as well? (dont say a word ronny :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

crash_000 wrote:
    (dont say a word ronny :P)

YOU might perfer the loud pub where i spill a drink over you and you over me while we shout at each other and pay six euros for that "great fun" but I dont and i think if ther were more small quiet pubs we could have them open all day with much l;ess trouble.

I'm a culchie, so I know all about the death of the rural pub and the repercussions it has..for traditional music and the Irish language as well as everything else. But I can't see a way around it other than government intervention, and we know what a pig's arse they'd make of it if they tried..
    except if you get worms from pork not cooked properly!

Ew, if more people knew how gross and dangerous pork was, I doubt it would even be legal. I can't stand it anyways, it's pure ming.
    i thought medical type people were trying to turn us off bbqs, with all the food poisoning.

Not to mention dioxins..
    ray has a firmer consistency and tolerates a barbie better...

Red snapper is lovely..then again, that tastes like a mouthful of fish bones, so it's not for everyone.
    but don't talk to me about dismembering crabs for a bbq, ugh!

That's the best part! Or playing "tug o' war" with a lobster/shrimp, and then drenching the bystanders with smelly fish juice..hehehehehehe. :D

crash_000 wrote:
    ah yes, i did forget, soccer and pubs are all alike. were you opposed to rule 42 changes as well? (dont say a word ronny :P)

Nope. Hurling was played in college before the GAA was founded.
    Hurling was supported by Landlords.
    150 years ago CRICKET was a fenian game.

Pet wrote:
    I'm a culchie, so I know all about the death of the rural pub and the repercussions it has..for traditional music and the Irish language as well as everything else. But I can't see a way around it other than government intervention, and we know what a pig's arse they'd make of it if they tried..

REgister to vote in college and then writ to or get up to the clinic of your local TD. -Mc Dowell and suggest he bring in whopping big licence fees for factories and small fees for small pubs. They wouldnt be long sorting out the decent pubs from the filthy lucre greasy till fumbling merchants.

Pubs are part of our culture. the problem is that while thres are 400 licenced premises in the city centre i would think you might not even know both of the pubs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Pubs? What's a pub? it's been too long since i've done anything fun, and this weekend will be the same. once all the studying and exams are over, then i investigate the concepts of 'fun' and 'pub'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

kt_hughes wrote:
    If you're looking for something to do you should head to Voodoo on Thursday night (28th April). Ann Harrington and Egomaniax are playing. They're a great band and you'll be up dancing till u forget exams etc etc etc

Isn't Ann Harrington that annoying one from this years You're A Star who constantly had a scowl her face as if the entire world was out to get her........NO thanks...wont be making it to that gig!! I'm going to see a band called Idlewild tomorrow night in the Ambassador...can't wait!!!!

Scruff101 wrote:
    Isn't Ann Harrington that annoying one from this years You're A Star who constantly had a scowl her face as if the entire world was out to get her........NO thanks...wont be making it to that gig!! I'm going to see a band called Idlewild tomorrow night in the Ambassador...can't wait!!!!

*jealous*
    i like idlewild.

i like idlewild.

me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

DrIndy wrote:

you are such a fountain of knowledge - it never ceases to amaze ...

... now, name the only three words in the english language that begin with 'dw' (and you can't look up a dictionary)

dweeb is one of them......

• Advertisement

Dwindle?

hint: the first series of West Wing (which i recently acquired on DVD) gives the answer...

... dwindle is one of the words!

ISAW wrote:
    REgister to vote in college and then writ to or get up to the clinic of your local TD. -Mc Dowell and suggest he bring in whopping big licence fees for factories and small fees for small pubs. They wouldnt be long sorting out the decent pubs from the filthy lucre greasy till fumbling merchants.

Pubs are part of our culture. the problem is that while thres are 400 licenced premises in the city centre i would think you might not even know both of the pubs!

once again you seem to be making the assumption that automatically, all small pubs are good, and all big pubs are bad. i've been to many a ****e small locally owned bar, where the pints have been terrible and the place a dive. i've also been to a fair few large pubs where the pints are great and the actual place has a nice atmosphere. In fairness, you cant automatically divide like that purely because you believe in the "good nature and ideals of the original pub owner" seeing as from most of the (mainly small) publicans i know in dublin, thats a rare-ish breed, at least in Dublin anyway. You can rattle off "oh thats because its necessary for them to compete blahdy blahdy blah" but the mentality of a large number of the publicans i know (and there are a surprising amount) is generally get as much money as you can, and dont let the place get trashed. I am not dissing small pubs, there are an equal number that are locals that take decent care of the punters, but you cant just state, unequivacally, that the small businessman is getting trashed.
    Sentiment values and tradition ARE worth something.

i'll agree with you here ^^, however does being a small locally owned pub mean that you have sentimental values and tradition? not really. not in dublin at least.

hint: the first series of West Wing (which i recently acquired on DVD) gives the answer...

... dwindle is one of the words!

dwarf?

i met president bartlett!

well, he kept insisting i call him 'martin', but he was still president bartlett to me.

was he down in galway when you were down for the usi dissafiliation/affiliation campaign? (or, did you even go to that?). can't believe he is going to be a student in galway! wonder if there is any chance he could be persuaded to run for usi president? - now that would really shake the organisation up!

us president - usi president : they're nearly even spelt the same!

p.s. dwarf IS the second word, congratulations!

• Advertisement

cuckoo wrote:
    i met president bartlett!

well, he kept insisting i call him 'martin', but he was still president bartlett to me.
    Martin Sheen eh? I'd associate him more with apocalypse now and the dead zone..

Where, when?

EDIT: Galway eh? Mad..

Met the president whilst campaigning for USI in NUI Galway (btw, 85% of those who voted went for staying in USI :D ).

We were wandering around in our USI gear, doing the talking to students thing, when we spotted him drinking tea. He was telling us he is thinking about studying something in NUI G, i tried to convince him of the merits of TCD (well, naturally...) but then had to agree with him when he pointed out that the campus is manic and much less peaceful than NUIG's.

Although he was interested in USI's work, i don't think he'd be inclined to take the pay cut and run for USI president - although he'd be a shoe in if he just gave some of President Bartlett's speeches at the various hustings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Dwell being the third word I'm guessing.

If people want to drink and have unprotected sex with strangers, surely that's their own business and you, me nor anyone has any right to pass any sort of moral judgement once they cause no harm to anyone. And the majority of people who drink or have sex don't harm anyone. Unless they are both consenting.

John2 wrote:
    Dwell being the third word I'm guessing.

it was bugging me to figure out what the third word was, i was being stubborn and wasn't going to google it and don't have a real paper-based dictionary to hand to look it up.

John2, for a second i thought the rest of your post was about USI membership :D , then i remembered what course this thread has taken in a meandering discussion of the weekend.

back on topic/
    my weekend so far has involved study and messing around on the internet. bit too much interneting and not enough studying, i'll be working to redress that imbalance...

involved study and messing around on the internet. bit too much interneting and not enough studying, i'll be working to redress that imbalance...

here here

Advertisement