Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doing anything fun this weekend?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

kt_hughes wrote:
    If you're looking for something to do you should head to Voodoo on Thursday night (28th April). Ann Harrington and Egomaniax are playing. They're a great band and you'll be up dancing till u forget exams etc etc etc

Isn't Ann Harrington that annoying one from this years You're A Star who constantly had a scowl her face as if the entire world was out to get her........NO thanks...wont be making it to that gig!! I'm going to see a band called Idlewild tomorrow night in the Ambassador...can't wait!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Scruff101 wrote:
    Isn't Ann Harrington that annoying one from this years You're A Star who constantly had a scowl her face as if the entire world was out to get her........NO thanks...wont be making it to that gig!! I'm going to see a band called Idlewild tomorrow night in the Ambassador...can't wait!!!!

*jealous*
    i like idlewild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i like idlewild.

me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

DrIndy wrote:
    it would taste like falling apart into the coals.....

ray has a firmer consistency and tolerates a barbie better....

you are such a fountain of knowledge - it never ceases to amaze ...

... now, name the only three words in the english language that begin with 'dw' (and you can't look up a dictionary)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

dweeb is one of them......

• Advertisement

Dwindle?

hint: the first series of West Wing (which i recently acquired on DVD) gives the answer...

... dwindle is one of the words!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

ISAW wrote:
    REgister to vote in college and then writ to or get up to the clinic of your local TD. -Mc Dowell and suggest he bring in whopping big licence fees for factories and small fees for small pubs. They wouldnt be long sorting out the decent pubs from the filthy lucre greasy till fumbling merchants.

Pubs are part of our culture. the problem is that while thres are 400 licenced premises in the city centre i would think you might not even know both of the pubs!

once again you seem to be making the assumption that automatically, all small pubs are good, and all big pubs are bad. i've been to many a ****e small locally owned bar, where the pints have been terrible and the place a dive. i've also been to a fair few large pubs where the pints are great and the actual place has a nice atmosphere. In fairness, you cant automatically divide like that purely because you believe in the "good nature and ideals of the original pub owner" seeing as from most of the (mainly small) publicans i know in dublin, thats a rare-ish breed, at least in Dublin anyway. You can rattle off "oh thats because its necessary for them to compete blahdy blahdy blah" but the mentality of a large number of the publicans i know (and there are a surprising amount) is generally get as much money as you can, and dont let the place get trashed. I am not dissing small pubs, there are an equal number that are locals that take decent care of the punters, but you cant just state, unequivacally, that the small businessman is getting trashed.
    Sentiment values and tradition ARE worth something.

i'll agree with you here ^^, however does being a small locally owned pub mean that you have sentimental values and tradition? not really. not in dublin at least.

hint: the first series of West Wing (which i recently acquired on DVD) gives the answer...

... dwindle is one of the words!

dwarf?

i met president bartlett!

well, he kept insisting i call him 'martin', but he was still president bartlett to me.

was he down in galway when you were down for the usi dissafiliation/affiliation campaign? (or, did you even go to that?). can't believe he is going to be a student in galway! wonder if there is any chance he could be persuaded to run for usi president? - now that would really shake the organisation up!

us president - usi president : they're nearly even spelt the same!

p.s. dwarf IS the second word, congratulations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

cuckoo wrote:
    i met president bartlett!

well, he kept insisting i call him 'martin', but he was still president bartlett to me.
    Martin Sheen eh? I'd associate him more with apocalypse now and the dead zone..

Where, when?

EDIT: Galway eh? Mad..

Met the president whilst campaigning for USI in NUI Galway (btw, 85% of those who voted went for staying in USI :D ).

We were wandering around in our USI gear, doing the talking to students thing, when we spotted him drinking tea. He was telling us he is thinking about studying something in NUI G, i tried to convince him of the merits of TCD (well, naturally...) but then had to agree with him when he pointed out that the campus is manic and much less peaceful than NUIG's.

Although he was interested in USI's work, i don't think he'd be inclined to take the pay cut and run for USI president - although he'd be a shoe in if he just gave some of President Bartlett's speeches at the various hustings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Dwell being the third word I'm guessing.

If people want to drink and have unprotected sex with strangers, surely that's their own business and you, me nor anyone has any right to pass any sort of moral judgement once they cause no harm to anyone. And the majority of people who drink or have sex don't harm anyone. Unless they are both consenting.

John2 wrote:
    Dwell being the third word I'm guessing.

it was bugging me to figure out what the third word was, i was being stubborn and wasn't going to google it and don't have a real paper-based dictionary to hand to look it up.

John2, for a second i thought the rest of your post was about USI membership :D , then i remembered what course this thread has taken in a meandering discussion of the weekend.

back on topic/
    my weekend so far has involved study and messing around on the internet. bit too much interneting and not enough studying, i'll be working to redress that imbalance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

involved study and messing around on the internet. bit too much interneting and not enough studying, i'll be working to redress that imbalance...

here here

Advertisement