Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

referrer links - official stance?

Options
  • 25-04-2005 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

ok these type of links are popping up more and more on boards,
    2-3 today alone.

many of them seem to be allowed,

are these type of schemes, and i'm saying that in that its the closest word to scam i can think of without getting in to a debate about whether or not they actually work, allowed to be posted on boards?

i dont think many of the users like to see these things posted, and i for one dont like people surrendering an email address to them.

is there a way for boards, and im sure there is, to block the urls of these as they appear?
    something like the sig police thread, ie, if i see netbux one more time i post it in there, when the admin see it they can block the url fom being linked?

this is of course assuming boards isnt against this spam, but it would allow mods to not be bothered cleaning it up, and users wouldnt be tricked into using it.
    the companies wouldnt get an email address from boards and the *#~@ eho posted it wouldnt get his .00001c america in a check postdated check for 2046

if this is something that is going to be allowed,
    can it at least be made official so that i wont bother reporting the threads anymore.

ps
    this is not in any way shape or form a rant against any mods, i know you guys are busy, but imo it is spam and should be dealt with.

boarders feel free to post why you think refferal links should be allowed.

:):) - smileys to lighten the tone a bit
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You can't block the ip's though as these are individuals using their home computers most likely.

Mind you you can add n*tbux et al to the swear word filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Gordon wrote:
    You can't block the ip's though as these are individuals using their home computers most likely.

Mind you you can add n*tbux et al to the swear word filter.
    which would also stop the link appearing correctly and render it unclickable ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

aye,
    that was one of the things i was getting at.

theres always a new one so if the admins went for it anyone that spots one could post it in a thread like the sig police one and the then it could be added when the admins have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

My official stance is:

If it's your first post, ban, delete thread.

If you've got < 30 posts and you're posting referal links, you're probably spamming. One deleted thread, one PM sent, check other posts from the same user.

If you're a regular and posting a referal link, I'll take a look at it more closely and probably let it slide, though I must say, this doesn't really happen in the comp forum.

Advertisement