Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quite a strange thread

Options
  • 25-04-2005 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

i know this is quite bizzare, but does anyone really enjoy when a wino approaches you at the bus station and begins talking utter crap? I love it! :D Last Sunday, a wino approached me and my friends and began ranting on about how to kill a man with a newspaper and martial arts. What a legend he was!

Does anyone know Radio John? Now there's a legend and a half!

I think wino's in Galway should be better recognised... but then again that's just me! I'm frickin' mental.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You're strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Yea I know the lad with the radio, sits opposite the Front Door yeah? And yer man with the symbals opposite powells. Course none of them will ever beat Dennis. Is he dead now? He tried to chase me once after making eye contact but he was so locked I was able to outwalk him.

Yes the red headed wizard is very strange. I was there last Sunday when the came up to us. Red head loved every minute of it, while the rest of us tried to slowly back away. I've seen his collection of photos of homeless people, and believe me when i say he's a strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Fear not... dennis is still alive and kicking... (and swinging punches). I see him around now and again... but words for the wary.. NEVER make eye contact or say a word... Though he is probably sixty years old, he can be nimble when he wants to be.

with regards to Radio John... yes, he is the lad opposite the blue note.. and only once have i seen him sober. There is one wino though whom i have only seen three times... he has crutches and the coolest hat i have ever seen.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

That guy at lynch's castle with the cymbals is unreal!! Anyone any idea if hes released an album yet? he does a wicked bohemian rhapsody on those yokes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Fear not... dennis is still alive and kicking... (and swinging punches). I see him around now and again... but words for the wary.. NEVER make eye contact or say a word... Though he is probably sixty years old, he can be nimble when he wants to be.
    When I was making my Confirmation and all that "Pledge" guff came up, we were shown a letter Dennis had written to the school about his wino ways and warning us not to drink.

I put the document in the same class as the Hitler Diarys.

Lol :D

I would dearly like to see that letter, as I think the man is a frickin' genius. He just stands around all day growling and cursing.

I also think the cymbals guy is cool. He does requests... just ask him to do something... even though he doesn't know most things... but I always give him a euro or two if he starts playing and singing Irish songs.

Though I think most of the winos around are fairly sound, there are some around that are pure EVIL! This one guy called Frankie, approached me and tried to put his hands in my pocket... i had to legger! In retrospect it was kinda amusing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes, there is a bum that wanders around Oranmore and Galway city with a bicycle, whilst in the company of my family we saw him (along with at least 20 others) do the following...

He was leaning against the wall, suddenly his face starts going red, and he leans forward.....evantually stops and shakes out his leg.....bits of shít roll out onto the ground. I swear to god. In the middle of afternoon, weekend, on shop street.

We also saw him taking a píss in the middle of the street, in Oranmore, on a busy afternoon. Not even against the wall, just in the middle of the street.

:eek:

Yes, there is a bum that wanders around Oranmore and Galway city with a bicycle, whilst in the company of my family we saw him (along with at least 20 others) do the following...

He was leaning against the wall, suddenly his face starts going red, and he leans forward.....evantually stops and shakes out his leg.....bits of shít roll out onto the ground. I swear to god. In the middle of afternoon, weekend, on shop street.

We also saw him taking a píss in the middle of the street, in Oranmore, on a busy afternoon. Not even against the wall, just in the middle of the street.

:eek:

Two days ago, I saw the very same man opposite Subway on Forster street, with a Digimon bag. He was chuckling away to himself so I reckon he probably nicked it off some kid. :D He is one of the most bizarre ones, he doesn't even look like a wino, but yesterday he was wheeling his bicycle down the Main street of Oranmore in the middle of the road at about 1/2 a mile an hour, holding a can of Linden Village. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

There used to be a youngish man on a bike who would cycle from the traffic lights at the top of Wellpark down towards Michael Collins Road (not sure if that's Connolly Ave or not) every morning, and when he saw you he'd whelp in joy and raise his fist in the air. I used to interpret it at his joy of commuting so speedily. But he isn't there anymore. Perhaps he bought a car?

• Advertisement

Rredwell wrote:
    There used to be a youngish man on a bike who would cycle from the traffic lights at the top of Wellpark down towards Michael Collins Road (not sure if that's Connolly Ave or not) every morning, and when he saw you he'd whelp in joy and raise his fist in the air. I used to interpret it at his joy of commuting so speedily. But he isn't there anymore. Perhaps he bought a car?

I afraid to say, they are a dying breed. But continuing on about bicycles, there is this one guy around Oranmore, I don't think he's a wino or anything, but every morning about ten past eight, he will cycle in Oranmore village and start praying and shouting at the library, after that he approaches me and tells one of his notoriously crap jokes :p

What's the dead center of Ireland? The graveyard! :D:confused:

He's mad as a hare, but I think he's great. lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I afraid to say, they are a dying breed. But continuing on about bicycles, there is this one guy around Oranmore, I don't think he's a wino or anything, but every morning about ten past eight, he will cycle in Oranmore village and start praying and shouting at the library, after that he approaches me and tells one of his notoriously crap jokes :p

What's the dead center of Ireland? The graveyard! :D:confused:

He's mad as a hare, but I think he's great. lol :D

Oranmore by ten past eight? That's good cycling. I believe I used to meet this nutter in Mervue around 8 when I was coming home from weekend night shifts. Terrible, terrible jokes (Which boxer never loses? An undertaker.), and then off again on his bike singing very, very badly, like a masked superhero without the heroics, or hygiene...

Sarky wrote:
    Oranmore by ten past eight? That's good cycling. I believe I used to meet this nutter in Mervue around 8 when I was coming home from weekend night shifts. Terrible, terrible jokes (Which boxer never loses? An undertaker.), and then off again on his bike singing very, very badly, like a masked superhero without the heroics, or hygiene...

LMFAO!!! :D:D:D

Especially like your imagery about the superhero.

If I recall more of his jokes include:
    "What's the best kind of dog? A Hot Dog!! (Cue insane laughter)"
    "What the highest wind factor in Ireland? My arse!"
    "Where's the biggest farm in Ireland? The Dail! They're always acting the goat!"
    etc...

I've also seen him in Galway city, which as you said before is very good cycling. I reckon, when he's out of sight of people he probably can fly or cycle at the speed of light or something! :p

One time, the guy on the bicycle stopped in the middle of the road, blocking up a huge line of traffic in Oranmore Village outside the libary, and started solemly blessing himself and praying.

After about 2 minutes (which is a LONG time when your stuck in traffic watching this idiot praying, with loads of cars beeping) he just casually cycled off at the speed of a kid on a tricycle

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Two days ago, I saw the very same man opposite Subway on Forster street, with a Digimon bag. He was chuckling away to himself so I reckon he probably nicked it off some kid. He is one of the most bizarre ones, he doesn't even look like a wino, but yesterday he was wheeling his bicycle down the Main street of Oranmore in the middle of the road at about 1/2 a mile an hour, holding a can of Linden Village.

This guy actually owns that bag firstly :P He comes into town every Saturday and is unable to find his way home to Oranmore. He has no family or friends so whenever he comes into town he misses the bus and has noway home. He is a bit crazy in the head and should be in care. Rest assure though he has had that bag for at least a year :P

The other guy you are talkin about who was pissing against the wall is John Mongon the newest addition to galway alcos. He is a traveller and just got out of prison! I wouldnt approach him if I was ye :P

The joys of working in an off licence and bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Met Denis (C******* — don't think its fair to use his full name) in the bookies on Eglinton Street last week, sober and shaven, wearing a jumper, tie, shirt and trousers, looked quite respectable ... he's been off the drink for nearly eight months according to a guy that volunteers at the Fairgreen Hostel.

Think some of ye might be getting Denis mixed up with a guy that was nicknamed Denny a good few years back, don't waant to use his real name, but his initials are WF), and he's a complete ar.sehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

That's good to hear Buckfast :)

Think I saw the man you meant today, he walked past me at the bus stop. I know him to be one of the winos in Galway, did look very respectable though.

Dennis is another man, always wears a hat, has a big ginger beard, growls a lot, just stands around drinking... how else can I describe him? :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

One wino came up to me and a friend outside richardsons,and said did u hear about the frog that broke down in the middle of the road? He then commented that siad amphibian got "towed (TOAD) away", then demanded cash in return for the show!! we gave him a euro. sure at least he was interesting, put a bit of energy into his begging

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

one said to us today.can i have a bite of your chicken? and before we could say anything he said that young people have no sense of humour and stormed off.....

• Advertisement

one said to us today.can i have a bite of your chicken? and before we could say anything he said that young people have no sense of humour and stormed off.....

Lol....

That's pretty damn amusing, and I wouldn't put it past a wino to say that. The thing about the summer is the wino's will either get more common and funny for tourists, or they'll get less common as they go to their private villas in the States to visit their family. :D

Incidently, I saw a wino a few days ago, pick a carton of chicken nuggets from the ground outside the bus station, which was filthy and wet given it had just been lashing rain.

The carton was all soggy and floppy. He rummaged around, found a cold, half eaten, soggy nugget, and ate it at the speed of light.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

he would eat your chicken if ya gave him half a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Funny to hear Dennis is still around. He was doing the same stuff when I was a kid 20 years ago.

ok the new wino of the day!
    sitting on the steps across from footlocker with my friend today taking a well earned break from looking for accomodation with her and he comes up to us.
    first there was a barrage of get off the steps with my replies rangeing from no! to wtf go away.then shaking of hands,thats a good wino!.
    next up he says is she my girlfriend blah blah and i say no just good friends etc and then he says that im a very good looking man and that she is fookin' beautiful and keeps at trying to get us to kiss."sure every1s having sex these days".then it's go on dont ya want her."oh so can i have her so?" i say no shes off limits and then he wants to get us drinks and even asks does she want him to steal her a jacket in the shop.
    to round things up a few minutes later he was like "do you like me" over and over with her saying that she didnt want to be rude and eventually saying no im only 19.eventually another friend comes along and he feels unwanted so he buggers off but he was quite a good encounter as i got called very good looking by a er guy eh yeah.(yes there was more sex and kiss type talk earlier that i wont say)

LOL :D

good to see that Galway's winos are finally showing an interest in the youth of today, (even if it is to say some really pervie)

Speaking of pervie, there is a man, I don't know if he is a wino or not, but he is at the moment, Galway's only flasher. He wears a green trenchcoat and is about 70. I, myself have never seen him, but rumours have gotten back to me from my friends. Who saw him on Shop St. a few monthes back. Next, my mate, who you know as Mobile Infantry was in a shop when a women began telling her friend that some guy, (of the same description) approached her and "showed his package". To top it off, he was seen running down Quay Street, with this John Thomas out, but the other day.

Sick huh?

Not only did I hear of him in a shop, I also saw him.

We were walking down near Quay street and he opened out his jacket, revealing his package, and then closed it again chuckling to himself.

In the middle of a busy public street i mean ffs

Was this recently..?

• Advertisement

No, it was ages ago with Crispo and Joe and a few other lads...near Christmas time I believe it was...

Advertisement