Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone asking questions...

Options
  • 25-04-2005 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to ask peoples opinions on this.

Friend of mine just bought a Motorola V3 off the net. Main reason was that he wanted a black one and they couldnt be got here..but didnt want it branded either

So he rang vodafone looking for the settings for MMS and GPRS. They asked him where he purchased the phone and he said off the internet and they asked him where on the internet how much it cost. He asked did it really matter and they said yes that unless he gave them that information that he wasnt entitled to any settings from them.

Is this true? Do they need to know where you bought the phone? They also asked him the IMEI number of the phone aswell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

As far as I know that is none of their business and should remain that way, and definetly dont hand over the IEMI Number unless he is registering it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

They won't give him the MMS or GPRS settings untill he does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

vodafone shouldnot have asked those questions as that information is private.
    vodafone are really becoming scammers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭sgske

Just get the settings from http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106942

But i dont see why not just tell them whatever they want to know.
    They will already have your IMEI somewhere because the network sends it to them when you power on your phone.

You should give them your IMEI it will help if your phone is stolen they can block the IMEI so stolen phone cannot be used.

I bought a mobile over the internet last year and i have the vodafone loss/theft insurance so i gave them the cost/imei and whatever they asked and everything was fine.

Theres no rules saying you cant buy the phone from somewhere else and use it with vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

sgske wrote:
    Just get the settings from http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106942

But i dont see why not just tell them whatever they want to know.
    They will already have your IMEI somewhere because the network sends it to them when you power on your phone.

You should give them your IMEI it will help if your phone is stolen they can block the IMEI so stolen phone cannot be used.

I bought a mobile over the internet last year and i have the vodafone loss/theft insurance so i gave them the cost/imei and whatever they asked and everything was fine.

Theres no rules saying you cant buy the phone from somewhere else and use it with vodafone.
    Whats all this sh*te about vodafone approved phones. Are there unapproved phones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bond-007 wrote:
    Whats all this sh*te about vodafone approved phones. Are there unapproved phones?
    Yep. Phones need to be tested with the network to ensure compatibility - all of the operators do it. If the phone isn't approved, Vodafone won't support you on the network (though they will give you the settings).

With the exception of getting to paste their logo over everything, the operators have no good reason to supply phones other than to ensure that the phones they supply work correctly, ensuring that the customer isn't pissed off with the network. Ask anyone who works in Vodafone - if someone's Nokia is playing up, Vodafone gets the earful, not Nokia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

also they reason they ask is too see if the imei is on a barred list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

also they reason they ask is too see if the imei is on a barred list.
    Surly this is automatic? You turn on the phone, it transmits the IMEI to the network, the network checks it against it's database, it forbids the phone from using the network if it's listed as stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

The helpdesk ask for the IMEI purely because the system they use requires this info when they are settings you up for MMS , GPRS and VL.

I find it kinda strange that someone would have asked how much the phone was and were you purchaed it - It is not vodafone policy to ask this information.
    The only reason i can think for asking were you got the phone was they wanted to ascertain if the phone was set up with settings from another network so they could then advise you need to change these to vodafone Ireland settings.

BTW - v3 is a vodafone approved phone .

Surly this is automatic? You turn on the phone, it transmits the IMEI to the network, the network checks it against it's database, it forbids the phone from using the network if it's listed as stolen.

It does.

• Advertisement

Went in to a vodafone shop today and asked for the settings and they said that the V3 isnt capable of MMS messaging. I was like WTF! So i picked up a brocher and showed him where it said it was MMS compatible.

They said again that i was entitled to get the settings because i didnt purchase the phone off them. So i said thats grands no problem i'm sure meteor or 02 will give me them and he quickly changed his tune and said that he'd get them for me to give him 5 mins.

So i went off to meteor to ask them did they have the settings and they said yeah we can get them for you no problem..

Went back into vodafone and they handed me a sheet with the settings on it and i asked them could they put them in and they said no.

I think its disgraceful that vodafone couldnt send me the settings for a phone that they sell but meteor could even when they don't sell it.

Perhaps if they give you the settings, then they are in essence, "Supporting" your phone, even though they didn't sell it to you. If you didn't buy it off them, I don't see why they should support it for you.

They didnt sell it in the colour that was wanted. Meteor and 02 will give me the settings no problem why cant vodafone?

orla wrote:
    They didnt sell it in the colour that was wanted. Meteor and 02 will give me the settings no problem why cant vodafone?
    Policy probably. As I say, perhaps it leaves them with some sort of support liability for your phone if they give you the settings.

orla wrote:
    Went back into vodafone and they handed me a sheet with the settings on it and i asked them could they put them in and they said no.

Have they not given them too you ?

If you still have not got the settings PM me and i will get them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I got told the same in the Vodafone store on Grafton St (Stephens Green end). Was told if I bought a Nokia 6260 off eXpansys I could only use the voice and text features, not MMS or anything else.
    I left, laughing at the guy cos I knew it was bullsh*t.

Vodafone [strike]cannot[/strike]should not allow/tell their store staff to do this.

Why do they do it? They can't possibly have all the latest phones and won't let customers buy them somewhere else..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

my bf bought a fone with out sim a siemens CX65 now vodafone wont give him any of the codes so he can send or receive mms,because the phone is an unapproved phone

*Page* wrote:
    my bf bought a fone with out sim a siemens CX65 now vodafone wont give him any of the codes so he can send or receive mms,because the phone is an unapproved phone

see i could understand that because its an unapproved phone but vodafone actually sell the v3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

orla wrote:
    see i could understand that because its an unapproved phone but vodafone actually sell the v3
    are you a bill pay customer or ready to go?
    I had the nokia 6600 about 5 months before it became approved, only problems I've had with Vodafone is that they kept changing my fone to the wrong one (my old fone) on my profile so I was having trouble with GPRS, a quick call and it was sorted. I'm on a bill so I'm not sure what it'd be like for rtg people.

• Advertisement

Bill...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

orla wrote:
    Bill...
    In that case, call them up and ask to speak with the premier care customer manager, his names <edited>. You'll usually get a better response if him than the guys on the fone, and if you ask to speak to the supervisor, they have to put you through,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

orla wrote:

Now i dont mean to come across as ratty but see how quick you are to go thro about three pages of differentt settings (that ya dont necesarily have to do) about ten times a day for helpless people too lazy to do it themselves.

Advertisement