Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house, it never rains but it pours!

Options
  • 25-04-2005 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Guys, I'm in a bit of a predicament.
    I am at a big crossroads.
    I am faced with moving into a place of my own asap, (which I've been psyching myself up to looking forward to tbh), but I have just been unexpectedly laid off from my job!
    I do not want to move into a kip(been there, done that when I was younger), and can just about afford to cover rent/deposit for a place of my own and could get by for the first month - approx 550/600 is the highest I think I could go.
    It would have to be a place of my own, hence the high price. If I started looking to share, it would likely take longer, as most houses "vet" prospective housemates and that whole process would take longer. And anyway, I would really prefer to live alone.
    I really don't intend on being unemployed for very long(but I do need some time to search for a place, make the move and settle in before I even begin to apply for jobs) - 1 month max, but then I cannot guarantee that I will get a job, and even if I do, most jobs pay a month in arrears, so realistically I am going to have to look into getting rent allowance or "supplementary welfare allowance" as it's now called.
    Been looking on daft.ie and the majority of places say "No" for accepting rent allowance. This really narrows my prospects for finding a place, and I'm feeling quite despondent about the whole thing!

My questions:

A. What is the max amount you can rent a place under the rent allowance scheme. It was pathetically low a few years ago, but I believe that they were considering upping the limit to be in-keeping with the high prices for a half-decent flat/apartment.

B. Has anyone been in a similar situation before, that I described above, faced with having to rent without the back-up of an employer's reference to say that you are currently in employment?
    Anyway, I will have to avoid dealing with estate agents, as they would require references.
    I will have to deal with a landlord, directly, and hopefully convince them that I am not one of the stereotypical social-welfare spongers and will be in a position to pay the rent, which I fully intend to be able to do.
    As an aside, last time I rented alone, I was employed, and when that contract ended, and I was unemployed for six weeks, I had a good relationship with the landlady and she was cool about filling in the rent allowance form(despite the fact that rent allowance was also "No" in the ad for the place).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dreamie x x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

If I was in that situation I would wait until I was working again until I rented a place. What if you don't find a job within a month? How are you going to pay the rent?

Why do you need to move asap? Are you living at home? Perhaps you can stay until you have the security of a job?

just my 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Your folks will almost certainly (if at all possible) tolerate you for a couple more months.

If not then chances are they'll loan you a couple of grand for deposit and first few months rent.

Worst case senerio is gettng them to go guarantor on a short term bank loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

approx 550/600 is the highest I think I could go.
    It would have to be a place of my own, hence the high price.
    Depending on where you live, this might be optimistic.
    Been looking on daft.ie and the majority of places say "No" for accepting rent allowance. This really narrows my prospects for finding a place, and I'm feeling quite despondent about the whole thing!
    Part of it is the stereotype of rent allowance recipients, part is tax evasion, part is paperwork.
    A. What is the max amount you can rent a place under the rent allowance scheme.
    It varies from (former health board) area to area. you pay the first €56, but maximum they will pay is about €260-403 per month, i.e. you will have to share with someone. Thats a total of €316-459.
    B. Has anyone been in a similar situation before, that I described above, faced with having to rent without the back-up of an employer's reference
    I get the impression its mostly agents that look for refereences, individual landlords are easier to deal with.

Take a look at this thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=242839&highlight=rent+allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

better off getting this moved to accomodation forum.
    the chaps there should be able to point you in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Dreamcatcher

better off getting this moved to accomodation forum.
    the chaps there should be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks WWM, I was in two minds as to which was the most appropriate board to post on.

Thanks,

Dreamie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Dreamcatcher

kasintahan wrote:
    Worst case senerio is getting them to go guarantor on a short term bank loan.

I may have to go down this road, with parents or sister. I really don't want to, but what are the criteria for this.
    Does the guarantor have to be a home owner etc...?
    Thanks again for any info.

Dreamie.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Moved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

I may have to go down this road, with parents or sister. I really don't want to, but what are the criteria for this.
    Does the guarantor have to be a home owner etc...?
    Thanks again for any info.

Dreamie.

Usually for a loan the guarantor would have to offer collateral (house deeds etc) but on such as small amount the bank would probably just look at credit history.

TBH - the credit union is probably the best place for this type of loan as it's right up their alley in terms of term and amount. They are usually a bit more flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

A. What is the max amount you can rent a place under the rent allowance scheme.
    If you haven't been renting somewhere for six months already you'll get precisely zero until that six months passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

sceptre wrote:
    If you haven't been renting somewhere for six months already you'll get precisely zero until that six months passes.

This is bang on the button. Rent relief rules have been changed so you have to have been renting for 6 months before claiming rent. The reason it was brought in was to stop people moving out of their parents and getting free accomadation that they don't really need.
    I will have to deal with a landlord, directly, and hopefully convince them that I am not one of the stereotypical social-welfare spongers and will be in a position to pay the rent, which I fully intend to be able to do.

Without being mean you are suggesting being a sponger by looking for rent allowance you don't NEED. The idea is to help people who are in need not people who are in want of their own place. The reason the allowance is so small is because so many claim. Not all of them NEED the state to pay.

Stay where you are is the smart thing to do.

• Advertisement

sceptre wrote:
    As best I know this has been withdrawn - you no longer need to be renting for 6 months to get rent allowance. BUT CHECK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

i think the max rent u can pay as a single person on rent allowance is 115euro per week so if u can get a room max rent permonth is 480euro,u get landlord to fill in form healthboard pay 100 ,so u end up paying 20per week ,i think u need 1st to sign up 4 unemployment benefit,to be eligible for rentallowance.its at welfare officers descretion whether to allow any particular person ra.u may not get it if u are only unemployed since last week.u also need to go to council and fillin forms to FORMALLY apply for housing from council,ie u need photo id birth cert pps no..to get on housing list.may be simpler to stay with family if u think u will be getting job soon.and wait til u can afford to pay 4 a larger room with kitchen etc only about 30percent of landlords accept rent allowance.ie wait til u are back in work.if rent is say 140,u,d have to put down on form 115 and pay the rest out of your own pocket.u can get more info see welfare officer at your local health centre.

gamer wrote:
    i think u need 1st to sign up 4 unemployment benefit,to be eligible for rentallowance.
    Not necessarily. Supplementary Welfare Allowance payments (including Rent Allowance) are poverty level payments and while unemployment benefit is one route, it is by no means the only route.
    u also need to go to council and fillin forms to FORMALLY apply for housing from council,ie u need photo id birth cert pps no..to get on housing list.
    Not necessarily. This won't be the case for people already renting, but I'm not certain of the situation for new renters.

I am pretty sure the 6 months rule still stands but certain people can be exempt e.g. woman with a child etc...
    Even if it does not apply it doesn't sound like you NEED state help. You may qualify but morally this is wrong. There are a lot of people who really need this help so just consider that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

if ur not working u shud apply for u.b. anyway ,it makes it alot easier to get rentallowance otherwise welfare will be suspicious ,ub acts as verification ie ur financially in need of rent assistance.ie if u need r.a. then u shud need dole as well.

You may qualify but morally this is wrong.
    For all you know, Dreamcatcher is living with an abusive family member or in overcrowded accommodation. Back off.
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/housing/renting_a_flat_or_house/help_with_paying_the_rent.html
    Rent Supplement is paid to people living in private residential accomodation who cannot provide for the cost of their accomodation from their own resources. Prior to 1st February 2005 there was a requirement that applicant had to be renting for six months in the preceding twelve months to qualify for rent supplement. This requirement has been discontinued.

Victor wrote:
    For all you know, Dreamcatcher is living with an abusive family member or in overcrowded accommodation. Back off.

First off I don't know if you are talking as a moderator or not. I am assuming not.

Secondly from the original post it certainily does not suggest any problem other than desire. In saying that my comments have been balanced by the use of the word need. Dreamcatcher if you really need to move out do so but if not think about what you may be taking away from others. This was always my point and it remains.

Thirdly while the 6 month rule does not apply the following does
    Oasis link wrote:
    From 1st February 2005 applicants must currently be renting accomodation, they must have been able to afford the rent from their own resources when they started to rent and should have had a reasonable expectation that they would continue to be able to afford the rent into the future.

From what has been described Dreamcatcher does not have a "reasonable expectation" that he can afford the rent as he is hoping to get rent allowance before long. Whom ever processes the application for rent allowance may easily still expect a 6 month tenancy before giving allowances due to the vagueness of the new rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Victor wrote:
    As best I know this has been withdrawn - you no longer need to be renting for 6 months to get rent allowance.
    Ah interesting. That was quietly done.

Advertisement