Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A request for support

Options
  • 25-04-2005 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

At the moment I'm trying to get some support so we can have a sub board to this one. This sub board would be concerned with investments and the financial markets. The idea would be that this would give us a place to talk seriously about investment options, and about the movements in the financial markets, or the release of economic data and it's proposed impact on the country. It also would provide a place for more serious discussions about economics with regard to the financial markets, and would hopefully provide a good place for people to ask questions and learn about investments, and the financial markets.

I have both a professional and hobby interest in this stuff, and would be quite happy to discuss these topics on a dedicated board :) Vexorg has said that if enough support is shown that he will be happy to set up the board. So what I really need from you guys is to click on the link below and have a look at the proposed board and leave a post indicating support if you are so inclined.

The thread in question is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=246825

Thanks for your time

-Padraig

Cheers to 80project for leaving me post this shameless advert :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The problem with any board that discusses prices of individual shares is that you are exposed to 'pump & dump' merchants, who will try to hype up a share so they can offload their own holdings. Any idea how you could combat this?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

RainyDay wrote:
    The problem with any board that discusses prices of individual shares is that you are exposed to 'pump & dump' merchants, who will try to hype up a share so they can offload their own holdings. Any idea how you could combat this?

Decent moderating would be a start.

I do agree that pump and dump merchants would be a potential problem, but this could be gotten around in a number of ways.

1) Forbid the discussion of specific stocks and only permit discussion about indices, and sectors. I don't like this one but it could be used as a last resort.

2) Have specific stocks discussed, but only from an objective perspective. ie. If someone is advising to buy say AIB, then I would want to see whether the funadmentals agree. If someone just gave his "stock picks" then it should be just deleted. If someone was discussing whether AIB was over or under valued at the moment and could back up their opinion with analysis, then I would see no problem with it.

3) Have a very strict no stock picks policy. Two strikes equals a permenant ban, and if multiple accounts are used to pimp shares then an IP ban. And so on.

4) Have the board invite only, ie viewable to all but only invited members may post in it. Personally I think this would be too elitist and would prevent people new to the field from asking questions, but it could be used if necessary.

All of the above would require a moderator who knows enough about fundamental and technical analysis, to spot the pump and dumps. I know I could do it, and I'm pretty sure others could do it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Good idea nesf, I've given my support on the other thread.

As regards pump and dump merchants, I'd imagine there would be a bit in the board charter advising people to seek independant finiancial advice before making any purchases\ investments yada yadda yadda. Maybe set it so people can only read the thread and have to be set up with posting rights by the moderator so that there are no one-post wonders on the board.

I'd rather it wasn't a private board, people with only a passing interest might not know about it then and I think that when you're starting off you can learn a lot just by reading other peoples posts.

my 2c,

Advertisement