Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help required! strange happenings...

Options
  • 25-04-2005 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just installed and set up WOW. After about 30 mins of play my pc speaker (not the multimedia ones) is going off like a car alarm! Never happened before with any other game. The game still carries on playing but the noise is very loud and won't stop unless I turn off PC. It does not happen unless I am playing WOW. Anyone else had a similar experience? Any Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

iirc mike that's caused by a virus. Is your anti-virus software upto date and scanning?

Otherwise if after scanning the machine, and finding nothing, try either a) updating the drivers for your sound card, b) checking the WoW site for compatability issues with your soundcard or c) eh, get to love the sound of sirens in the morning ;)

And WoW is damn addictive too btw mate, not as bad as online poker, but close, damn close!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

When you're running WoW hit ctrl+S, it will shut off your WoW generated sound. If the noises stop, you can rule out hardware and its probably something specific to WoW thats causing it. Hope it helps some.

(Ctrl+S to turn sound back on, btw :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭MrShadow

Motherboard uses the pc speaker for warning sounds. Check your temperatures. Could be a CPU Temp Warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Alarms from the PC speaker are generally indeed caused by temp problems. Check your temps, if they're fine, rule that out and move onto something else, but it would be the best thing to check first (as overheating can cause problems like malfunctioning hardware).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

MrShadow wrote:
    Motherboard uses the pc speaker for warning sounds. Check your temperatures. Could be a CPU Temp Warning.

I would suggest you check temperatures and also Fan speeds, they can sometimes throttle too low and set off failure alarms. This can also be caused by plugging the PSU Fan connector into the motherboard fan connector labelled "CPU".

You can use motherboard supplied software monitoring to measure temps and fan speeds or try "Motherboard Monitor" (old software now, may not work on new PCs/mobos).

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

Thanks for the tips guys. Nothing seems to fix it. Temps are fine and so is virus check. I have just disconnected PC Speaker for the moment and am playing away fine now. 'Tis a tad addictive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

What server you playing on Mike?

I'm on Boorhoof. thought I'd try a low population to start with. I don't have much experience with this type of game. I have a horde orc hunter levelled up to 9 so far in a days play. Its name is Stormcrusher.

Make a horde on Bladefist and join Bored of Ie! You'll get all the advice you need! It's a really friendly group.

Apart from me. I'm an asshole.

On Bladefist now. Horde Orc Hunter - Gutshot

Only up to level 7 - very quiet tonight, couldn't find any help for quests.

• Advertisement

I've added you to friends next time you're on I'll (Eland) send you a guild invite. If I'm not on there's loads of others Drakar, Feeder, Ehldas, Vermillion, Sou, Sinnocence, Maylar, Spoon, Zook off the top of my head who'd invite you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

off topic but how do u find bored of ie

Just send one of us a tell in game. Regulars at the moment are Feeder, Mylo, Zook, Levas, Eland, Maylar, Vermillion, Dreal, IrishPsycho, Drakar off the top of my head.

DapperGent wrote:
    Just send one of us a tell in game. Regulars at the moment are Feeder, Mylo, Zook, Levas, Eland, Maylar, Vermillion, Dreal, IrishPsycho, Drakar off the top of my head.

cheers will dig out 208 page manual and send a "tell" :)
    i'm on baldefist an orc shamam vasch ro , and so far I'm not sure what to think !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

at any time you can type /who bored and it will show up all people with bored in their name or guild tag. Then send one of those people a tell and ask for an invite (if you havent already).

staying off topic just wanted to thank feeder the other night for inviting into the guild and giving me some good tips

Advertisement