Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Recommend a Bicycle

Options
  • 26-04-2005 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Knowledge about bikes = 0
    Budget = 350 yoyos

Reason for buying bike - realised I'm an idiot for taking the car.!

So going into a bike shop would be like a lamb to the slaughter....

Looking for a recommendation for a bike that I would use to cycle in and out of work - distance 3 miles each way.... That's it, the only other piece of information that might be relevent is that I am male - ( a bike with a horizontal bar, I presume ) 6'2" so I need a bike that does not have my back broken...and some comfort...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm no expert but I'd say a Hybrid (a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike) would be best for your situation. At 6'2" you'll need a 22.5" frame. For around the 300 - 350 mark Giant probably do some decent models.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

Thanks leeroybrown, I had a look a this tread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=248540

re your Giant recommendation....one more obvious question - but could you recommend a shop in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

My brother-in-law bought a LaPierre Campus Man for e420 in Cycle Superstore at The Square in Tallaght. http://www.cycles-lapierre.fr/webfiles/Produits/550.htm
    He does 3 miles each way and likes it. Comfortable seat, quick shifters on handlebars. No suspension.
    He removed the carrier and dynamo because he didn't like how it looked (mmm, he'd rather sweat with a bag on his back).

At Cycle Superstore the guy steered us away from the Raleigh P4000.

CycleWays on Parnell Street have a good reputation.
    Commuting Solutions in Rathmines (right in the village) seem good too.

Thanks daymobrew
    Will call in to Cycleways...Is there anything else a naive bike shopper like myself should watch out for.

Made a call to cycleways and they are recommending a

Sp.05 C/roads for my budget....

http://www.cycleways.com/store/store.asp?action=show_product&c=1&p=0&category=100&prodcode=22830

Anybody got any opinions on this make and type of bike...much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Velcrow wrote:
    Made a call to cycleways and they are recommending a Sp.05 C/roads for my budget....

Anybody got any opinions on this make and type of bike...much appreciated
    Specialized are a good brand (Cycleways are the Irish distributor). I have an old Rockhopper and love it.

You can go to the Specialized web site (choose USA as region) for bigger pictures and more information.
    This bike is a hybrid ("Comfort bike" on Specialized site) and perfect for your short commuter.
    It might be capable of taking a rear carrier. I'd love to be able to have one but the frame doesn't have the appropriate holes.

Description from Specialized.com:
    EXPERIENCE: COMFORT STREET
    No matter why you ride, be it for pleasure, fitness, or efficient transportation, you can ride in unsurpassed comfort on a Crossroads, all the while enjoying the journey and surroundings. The Crossroads can take you around the block just as easily and comfortably as it can take you around town. A comfortable upright riding posture and reliable components let you truly enjoy the ride.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tundish

Velcrow -- fwiw, I'm a few days into commuting on a Giant 'Cypress' that I just bought (you saw the "entry-level hybrid" thread I started) and I have no complaints. Saddle is quick-release, i.e. is easy to adjust for height, and the handlebars look almost as easy (up/down with an allan key).

I got it for €300 (see thread) but lights/helmet/locks/reflective gear are also budget factors. I'm 6' and the model I got is fine, but as someone said earlier, check that the frame size suits you.

Thanks for the info daymobrew ... had a look just trying to decide if it is worth the extra 100 yoyos

Tundish where did you buy the Giant 'Cypress' ( read your thread :rolleyes: 'Ferris Wheels' on the Blackrock Road )...and can it accommidate a rear carrier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tundish

Velcrow wrote:
    Tundish where did you buy the Giant 'Cypress' ( read your thread :rolleyes: 'Ferris Wheels' on the Blackrock Road )...and can it accommidate a rear carrier

Velcrow -- The Cypress comes without carrier and mudguards but it can take either/both. I suppose it also depends on the type of carrier or mudguards you buy: you could double-check in the shop before handing over the money.

Yep, Ferris Wheels is on the way to Blackrock as you travel from Dublin. It's right across the road from Booterstown DART station. It's not a big or fancy shop, but it gave me the bike I wanted at a decent price. If you want to check them out, I'd phone in advance to see what they've got in stock.

Realised I need a bigger budget for the bike I want, also it looks like I will need two, man and womans... with this in mind I am seeing if anyone is interesting in trading a bicycle or two for my scooter ( 02 MBK Ovetto ) ... worth a shot, I hope.

I have this posted in the trading section of boards...

http://ww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2685095#post2685095

Advertisement