Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yikes!!!

Options
  • 26-04-2005 6:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

I was just checking out the options as far as getting an IT degree through distance learning as i work odd hours and wouldnt be able to make it to a class regularly. through Oscail it would cost me about €8,000 :eek: so i checked out open university in the uk and due to their policy of charging irish people more it would cost me approximatley €10,000 :eek: :eek: .
    surely theres a cheaper way of getting a degree without physicaly attending classes. or am i better of just getting a grant packing in the job and going back to college? (i think i might be getting a little too old for that :( )

EDIT:ah maybe ill go open university sure its expensive but learnings important and id probably spend it on drink otherwise (Appx. €10,000 of guinness, sounds like a good night out :D )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yeah - it's not exactly a cheap option, but I guess (like most good things) you just have to make sacrifices in order to get where you want to go.

I shudder to think how much my OU degree has cost me so far!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Hm.

I was doing OU and am now studying full time at the University of Reading. The fees are cheaper, sure, but don't limit your calculations to that. Between lost earnings and paying my way over here my degree will probably cost me the price of a decent house (although perhaps not a decent house in Dublin ;) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

ecksor wrote:
    (although perhaps not a decent house in Dublin ;) ).

for the price of a decent house in dublin you should get your own college never mind a degree ;)

i reckon ill get my mcse first and then see if anywhere will consider it as sufficient to allow me an exemption from the first few modules at least. allthough full time study sounds more and more alluring even if i will be "the old weirdo that sits at the back of the class" :p

cheers folks :)

Advertisement