Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh start!

Options
  • 26-04-2005 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

Imagine you just bought a house and you are in the market for a home entertainment kit. You have a budget of 1000 – 1500 euros (absolute max 2k incl surround sound kit) for the main display unit (tv, lcd, projector etc), what would you go for?

That’s my situation here, and I am not sure what to go for. I am not big into gaming (occasionally, like once a week, may be, more into PC games) but I enjoy watching movies, usual telly stuff.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Back projection TV's are excellent value at the moment

positron wrote:
    Imagine you just bought a house and you are in the market for a home entertainment kit. You have a budget of 1000 – 1500 euros (absolute max 2k incl surround sound kit) for the main display unit (tv, lcd, projector etc), what would you go for?

That’s my situation here, and I am not sure what to go for. I am not big into gaming (occasionally, like once a week, may be, more into PC games) but I enjoy watching movies, usual telly stuff.

Thanks in advance!!

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Any back projection unit I ever saw had a very limited field of view so unless it's in a corner of a room to allow everyone to see it you won't get the best from it. Once you put it in the corner you then have problems positioning your speakers around it.

My suggestion is to buy a normal 4:3 t.v. for the soaps and the news etc. - maybe a 28" NICAM or there abouts for around 250 - 400 yoyos and get a projector and screen for premium events like DVD - Sky Movies - Sports etc. This option won't leave much for a sound system, but if you treat it like a longterm project over - say - a couple of years you will see (and hear !) the benefits of spending a few quid more for quality products.

LCDs or Plasmas are nice too put the spectacle of a footy game or DVD on a projector on to an 84" or 100" screen is a sight to behold believe me !!!

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

I agree, I am not too keen on rear projection tv myself, I was thinking more like either a good projector that I can use like a normal TV (4+ hours per day), or a 32 or 36 inch widescreen 100Hz conventional telly. But come Christmas when LCD prices start to drop, all huge monstrous CRT sets are going to be a liability!

A combination of both makes sense. Any suggestions on a good projector for movies and stuff?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I have a Sony 44" rear projection and have no problems with viewing angles. My bed is 5 foot off the ground and I watch tv every night from that height ( its about 5 feet back from the tv aswell) without any problems. They are a great set and the new version of mine is going for around €1300 or €1400 at the min. http://www.sony.ie/PageView.do?site=odw_en_IE&page=ProductHome&section=en_IE_Products&productmodel=%2FTV+Projector%2FTVP+Rear+Projection+TV%2FKP-44PX3&productcategory=%2FTV+Projector%2FTVP+Rear+Projection+TV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Okay, I think I will go for a cheap tv (second hand may be) and wait till after Christmas. In the mean time I can amuse myself with a DIY LCD projector or something?

thanks everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Moorsie

"... Any back projection unit I ever saw had a very limited field of view"

It was the case. New DLP ones are apparently superb. Would make sure that it is HD ready also.

Advertisement