Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent TSB

Options
  • 26-04-2005 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently doing my personal banking with Ulster Bank, and have been for over 10 years.
    Lately I haven't been happy with their service and I've been considering a switch.
    I have a few questions.
    Is there any benefit to staying with the same bank? I've been told it helps, etc... to have a history with a bank, is this the case?
    Is the Permanent TSB offer any good? Are they a good bank in general?
    What are people's preferences banking wise?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Hi,

I recently moved my mortgage from permanent TSB as the new manager in the branch would not give me the time of day when I went looking for a ver small business loan. Even though I have been with the branch for over 15 years and a lot of investments etc have gone through PTSB.

You can be looky if you get a good manager but unlucky also just my 2cents.

Tip.

jjmax wrote:
    Hi,

I'm currently doing my personal banking with Ulster Bank, and have been for over 10 years.
    Lately I haven't been happy with their service and I've been considering a switch.
    I have a few questions.
    Is there any benefit to staying with the same bank? I've been told it helps, etc... to have a history with a bank, is this the case?
    Is the Permanent TSB offer any good? Are they a good bank in general?
    What are people's preferences banking wise?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Hey,

I've been using Ulster Bank for 5 years now and im considering the exact same thing. Ulster bank customer service is terrible and getting a loan is too big a task with them.
    Im going to contact the switcher team on my day off this week and get everything transferred over. The offer seems excellent.

Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

The offer seems brilliant but the whole "ring our switcher team and it will be all done for you" is a bit of white lie, as you actually have to go into a branch with 3 -6 months bank statements and open an account.

Then when you ring the switcher team, they will transfer your account over!

still a good deal imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I left ulster bank too, I went with bank of ireland, the manager has been great, tbh i think, as tippex said, its down to the manager you get

Ah I didnt know that but i've gotta produce 6 months of statements to them for a loan application anyway.

Ulster bank are charging me 2 euro per sheet for the last 6 months of statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

they dont tell anyone that until you ring!
    €2 isnt bad, BOI tried chargin me €3 a sheet!! Told them to stuff it and printed them off from banking 365 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭jjmax

That settles it then!
    Thanks for the input.
    Here's a wee story - I rang my local Ulster Bank recently to get my recent transaction details (I had to setup my Anytime account again). I rang at 4.30, and the girl who answered ( who I recognised as the manager) said they wouldn't be able to do it for me as they'd switched off all the machines for the evening already! I managed to get her to get my details but she did so grudgingly.
    All I have to say to that is - "Farewell".
    I'll pop into PTSB and suss them out.
    I've an account with BOI too and find them extremely helpful, shame they're laying off so many staff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Just one thing about ptsb. Nothing is done in the branches. Everything has to go through head office so things can take longer to get done. If you dont mind the wait then its all good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Tippex wrote:
    I recently moved my mortgage from permanent TSB as the new manager in the branch would not give me the time of day when I went looking for a ver small business loan. Even though I have been with the branch for over 15 years and a lot of investments etc have gone through PTSB.
    I was with TSB (before the merger) since I was a child, and when I set up in business I naturally continued with them. I wouldn't recommend anyone make the same choice, as they're completely unsuitable for business banking on any level.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 markol

I think Bank of Ireland should be boycotted. They are planning large scale layoffs despite recording record profits of 1.4 BILLION or something like that.
    That is dispicable.

• Advertisement

I agree, but where do you go? Certainly not AIB, who are just as despicable as BoI. BoS seems the obvious choice, but they don't have a proper branch network yet, and I need a branch.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I am MAN wrote:
    Ah I didnt know that but i've gotta produce 6 months of statements to them for a loan application anyway.

Ulster bank are charging me 2 euro per sheet for the last 6 months of statements.

duplicate statements surely? they are free otherwise.

did you misplace the originals?

some guy once said - if you staple a €5 note to each of your bank statements you wouldn't lose them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The PTSB are extremely slow to clear cheques. I once waited for 4 weeks to get value on a €150 cheque from sky tv, like wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've been with TSB since my teens, and looking at some of the posts above there are a few things to consider...

1. It's the luck of the draw with the manager, I got a good one.

2. They are more suited to personal banking than business; I've never had any business dealings with them, but like Bond-007 said, stuff like waiting for cheques to clear (esp in foreign currencies) can take a little while longer.

3. Their online banking system is excellent in my opinion, only when you want to set up a new bill payment you have to set it up over the phone, but once it's done the first time, it's in your online account.

I just got a new credit card from them, and it was a five minute process in my branch, and I had it in ten days in the post.

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    duplicate statements surely? they are free otherwise.

did you misplace the originals?

some guy once said - if you staple a €5 note to each of your bank statements you wouldn't lose them

Duplicate yes. I rarely keep statements but 2 euro per sheet is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I am MAN wrote:
    Duplicate yes. I rarely keep statements but 2 euro per sheet is a joke.

The onus is on the customer to retain the statements once they receive them in the post. It is not that difficult to put them away in a drawer or a file - although in some people's eyes, such behaviour is 'anal'.

The bank has to manually reprint the duplicate statements from microfiche - this is a time-consuming process and hence they charge for the work involved.

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    The onus is on the customer to retain the statements once they receive them in the post. It is not that difficult to put them away in a drawer or a file - although in some people's eyes, such behaviour is 'anal'.

The bank has to manually reprint the duplicate statements from microfiche - this is a time-consuming process and hence they charge for the work involved.

I understand that it is easy to put them into my drawer but when you have never needed them for 5 years and have enough waste paper lying around it's more waste paper.
    I know the labour involved in printing them but 2 euro per sheet is still a joke imho.

Mark.

I don't get it. I get about 30 sheets of paper a year from the bank, and that's on a business account with monthly statements, and includes interest notifications on an overdraft. The average personal account would generate, what, 12-20 sheets of paper? Even a busy monthly account wouldn't generate much more than 50. That's not going to take up a whole lot of space...

I hope you destroy those statements by the way, and I don't just mean tearing them in half. I've just had a minimum of six attempts of fraud on my account because of one single stolen statement, and the only reason I caught it is because I'm aware of identity theft issues and watch my account like a hawk. Even with that over €25 worth of fraudulent transactions went though, which I have to chase up now as if it was my fault.

Cut 'em up into little pieces and then burn the pieces, that's what I say. Or put them away carefully in a safe place. That's what most people do, because with all due respect, most people know that they're going to need at least six month's worth at some point in the future.

adam

Advertisement