Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone V's O2

Options
  • 26-04-2005 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Im about to buy my first bill phone, and Im trying to decide which is the best network to go with. I use my phone a bit during the day and a bit at night. I text a good bit. I need an allrounder plan, but I cant decide which is the best company to go with. i have been speakeasy for the last 7 years or so, I know I can keep my number if I change networks. I spend 40 - 60 euro on credit a month. Does anyone have any preference or know which is the best value? Has anyone had any bad experiences that I should know about?

Mods - I cant find a phone forum, hope this is ok here....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Last time I've heard O2 were offering far better deals, but Vodafone may have caught up since then.

I find O2 to be a little more reliable than Vodafone but the difference is trivial. There's also the Meteor option.

Look up the price packages on their websites.

Meteor offer free texts to other Meteor users if you spend more than €20 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Persoanally i prefer vodafone. I think they have much better tariff options.
    I have a business one. 75 free mins anytime, 75 phone a friend and i got the text add on for 6 euro. thats €36 a month. Does the job nicely.

Maybe look at talk and text €30 a month. 30 free min 30 phone a friend and 100 free msgs or talk and text plus €50 a month. 100 free min 100 phone a friend and 150 free msgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I've been with 02/Esat for about 6 years now...

I've had a lot of problems with them over the years. Such as overcharging and misinforming me on some of their services.

But I really have no reason to believe that Vodaphone are any better... so I stick with them...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Persoanally i prefer vodafone. I think they have much better tariff options.
    I have a business one. 75 free mins anytime, 75 phone a friend and i got the text add on for 6 euro. thats €36 a month. Does the job nicely.

thats not cheap , lets say for a minute i bought 2 'free' small t630 phones on speakeasy and put one on nightowl and the other on day plan. now i am always off peak and pay no more than 15-19 cent aminute. 75 minutes at 15 cent say is13 euro and another 75 minutes is 13 euro, add on text messages and that is les than u pay. also u are commited to that spend whereas i wouldnt be.

meteor are even cheaper, but their servie isnt great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

lomb wrote:
    thats not cheap , lets say for a minute i bought 2 'free' small t630 phones on speakeasy and put one on nightowl and the other on day plan. now i am always off peak and pay no more than 15-19 cent aminute. 75 minutes at 15 cent say is13 euro and another 75 minutes is 13 euro, add on text messages and that is les than u pay. also u are commited to that spend whereas i wouldnt be.

Fair enough, but that is complicated, I dont want two phones or two phone numbers. I just want one bill pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

joejoem wrote:
    ** Cough ** ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

lomb wrote:

Sounds like a lot of hassle also you have to worry about topping up. Bill phone is so handy. where you get free t630 anyway? Also if you out for the day that leads to the night do you bring both phones? for the sake of a fiver a month?

basquille wrote:

boards.ie/vbulletin > Comp > Nets / Comms

Woops....Im not techy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

I've been with 02/Esat for about 6 years now...

I've had a lot of problems with them over the years. Such as overcharging and misinforming me on some of their services.

But I really have no reason to believe that Vodaphone are any better... so I stick with them...

Interesting im getting the same **** with esat on my broadband.

Ive been with vodafone / eircom for about 8 years.
    I have to say i do think vodafones customer service is top notch at leasy almost all
    of my experiences with them have been.

again im on the 75 mins plus 75 to a friend for 30 euro plan ,
    with a few texts my bill tends to come in around 33 / 34 a month.

c22

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Catch_22 wrote:
    Interesting im getting the same **** with esat on my broadband.
    Oh god yes.. I'm with BT(as they now call themselves) for my broadband as well... it's truly horrible how incompetent their accounts department is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

phones are free, o2 does an upgrade t630 for 89 euro with 80 credit. u can buy a o2 sim for 10 euro with 30 credit, then get the t630 upgrade so it works out that the phone is minus 10 euros.
    no just one number to receive all calls, two phones for making calls at different times of the day or night.phones are so small now that carrying 2 tiny fones, u dont even notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Moved from AH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

joejoem wrote:
    Im about to buy my first bill phone, and Im trying to decide which is the best network to go with. I use my phone a bit during the day and a bit at night. I text a good bit. I need an allrounder plan, but I cant decide which is the best company to go with. i have been speakeasy for the last 7 years or so, I know I can keep my number if I change networks. I spend 40 - 60 euro on credit a month. Does anyone have any preference or know which is the best value? Has anyone had any bad experiences that I should know about?

Ok I would either go for any of these:

Vodafone Talk and Text Plus
    (50e/month, 100 Mins Anytime, 100 call a Friend for Free, 150 texts)
    You can't buy any more text bundles, but text rate reduced from 13c to 10c after 150 used up.

O2 Twenty+ Flat Rate
    (45e/month with:
    40e free calls each month for first 6 months, 20e thereafter with 100 free texts add-on,
    OR
    Free line-rental for first 3 months, 20e free calls a month)
    You can buy another 100 texts for 7.50e each month

Meteor Talk 200
    (40e/month with 200 mins free calls anytime including UK, calls 20c thereafter to any Irish, British number anytime, no text add-ons though, texts 9c, free Meteor-Meteor texts)

This is just based on what you've told me of course...!

Thanks Rach. Is Vodafone better than O2? I suppose its just a matter of opinion, but what is yours?

Advertisement