Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo???

Options
  • 26-04-2005 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Did you notice oldschool Nintendo fans are turning over to Sony?

Why is this? Because us, oldschool Nintendo fans, are fed up with Nintendo's crap. We don't get online games, we don't get good sequels, we never get original games anymore. Nintendo is playing it safe and is just making sequels that are no different from the original. They are already making Donkey Konga 3 and 2 hasn't even come out yet. They see that one game is succesful so they make 100 sequels that are identical to the orginal. Look at Mario Party.

Look at GameBoy Advance, the only orignal Mario adventure game is Mario & Luigi: SuperStar Saga which wasn't even made by Nintendo. All the other Mario games are ports from the Super Nintendo system and they just make them easier and with worse graphics.

Also, the first game released on the Nintendo DS was a port of Super Mario 64. Once again, they are too afraid to take the risk of making a new Mario adventure game. Also, notice that all the Nintendo DS titles are just remakes of old minigames from Atari and other old systems that are out of date.

Nintendo will finally go online with Nintendo DS later this year. Well, they are just 3 years late going online.

Another fact, all Nintendo's sequels are getting shorter and easier and MORE kiddy. Look at the Wind Waker. It was shorter, easier, and much more kiddy then the other Zeldas. Then we get that Four Swords crap where you have to buy 4 GBAs and 4 cables, plus the game to play 4 players in it.

I am sorry, but Nintendo is just making stupid moves, and read Nintendo Power! All the writers are just Nintendo worshipers. They give all the games exclusive to GameCube 5 out of 5s and they just go on on how good the GameCube is in their reviews. If you have to tell someone how good your product is in every issue of your magazine, then your product must be doing bad in sales.

I was a hardcore Nintendo fan since I was 4 years old, but then the give us GameCube then Nintendo DS. Are they trying to lose old fans and trying not to get new ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well I have a broadband modem in my Gamecube and I used to play online alot with it.

Also, Four Swords on the Gamecube is an amazing game and it's very inovative. Alot of people have a GBA and the cable comes free with the game, it's very easy to get some friends around to play it.

I have a PS2 as well as a Gamecube... I only got the PS2 as I found there was a shortage of RPGs and Survival Horror games on the Gamecube.

But you are right about all the revamps on the GBA.. it took a long time for the GBA to start to get some great original titles. And it seems to be going the same way for the DS now too. Although it's not all bad.. Animal Crossing DS is the game I'm looking forward to the most at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Well I have a broadband modem in my Gamecube and I used to play online alot with it.

how does that work?

Jammer wrote:
    how does that work?
    There are official Nintendo broadband and dial-up modems. It fits into a little compartment on the bottom of the console.

If you have the broadband one you can also do some LAN gaming and have an 8 player Mario Kart Double Dash, but you're talking about a serious amount of kit to get that up and running... 2 consoles, 2 TVs, 2 BB modems, 2 copies of the game, 8 controllers... I'd still love to give it a go some day...

I think the only games that feature online play are the 2 Phantasy Star Online games... I was a big fan of Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast, so I had to get the modem really just for that.

There is also http://www.warppipe.com/ which is a piece of tunneling software that can fool your Gamecube into thinking it's connected to another Gamecube on a LAN, when in fact it's connected to another Gamecube over the internet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love my Gamecube but I have to say that Nintendo is no longer churning out nothing but triple A quality titles. They do still make them but there are far too many Nintendo game that are just average. I blame this on the new innovation approach that nintendo have. They really shouldn't be making games with the purpose of making them innovative. The best method is to give their designers far more freedom. Capcom and Konami have recently been letting their designers make games that usually would be laughed out of board rooms if the ideas were presented. Frankly both these companies have been far more successful in making innovative games.

Innovation doesn't sell and doesn't mean good games. Just look at the xbox. I can't name 1 game on it that I haven't played a carbon copy of before. However it's doing rather well and has some decent games that don't do anything new but are still well worth playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

It used to be the case that PS2 hoovered up all the little titles and churned them out and picking up a couple of real classics here and there, X-Box had all the funding but seemed to squander it on sub-standard games but like PS2 served up the odd unbelievably amazing game. It was then left up to Nintendo to give us new and exciting things that nobody had thought of (GBA link-up, a game that involved sailing of all things etc...). It may still be the case in smaller amounts but times are 'a changing, before im going to pass a proper judgement id like to wait for the next generation to get up and swinging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm a self confessed nintendo fanboy. I loved my DS when I got it (and I now have 8 games for it), but since I got my PSP 2 weeks ago, I haven't touched it. Its been Lumines, Mercury and WipEout all the way.... Nintendo really need to pull their finger out and release more quality titles for the DS.

As for the Cube, I think we have some good stuff to look forward to (Zelda and Killer 7 for starters), so I won't be getting rid of it just yet. And I still have to finish RE4, Prince of Persia 2, Paper Mario 2 and Metroid Prime 2, so there is still a bit of life left in the cube for me.

DS needs more work, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ive been a Nintendo fan since I was a wee baby and I still love them and their games... BUT I agree with you. I am losing faith fast. Nintendos fans have grown up...Nintendo hasnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

TmB wrote:
    I'm a self confessed nintendo fanboy. I loved my DS when I got it (and I now have 8 games for it), but since I got my PSP 2 weeks ago, I haven't touched it. Its been Lumines, Mercury and WipEout all the way.... Nintendo really need to pull their finger out and release more quality titles for the DS.

As for the Cube, I think we have some good stuff to look forward to (Zelda and Killer 7 for starters), so I won't be getting rid of it just yet. And I still have to finish RE4, Prince of Persia 2, Paper Mario 2 and Metroid Prime 2, so there is still a bit of life left in the cube for me.

DS needs more work, though...

I love my GameCube .. my brother has a PS2 and about a billion games and you would still be hard to find more triple AAA games in his collection than my GC collection.

The DS though has been a complete bust for me though. I expected at least a couple of top quality games at launch with more following in the proceeding months. So far HMV still has the orignal launch games that are all crap appart from SM64 and Wario. And most of the games on the horizon looks just as crap. Very very disappointed by Nintendo with the lack of games for the DS. I have not touched it in over a month. Probably going to get a PSP from Lik-Sang at the new reduced price (€219+deli)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I reluctantly have to agree with the OP. I've only ever owned Nintendo consoles (I've wanted others, but there's always been friends who had them and I never saw anything that made me really really want one of my own...except with Nintendo gear) and I'm not hugely impressed with recent moves. The Cube has, well, not that many games - a large proportion of them are very good, but that's still not very many games. The Nintendo licenses do seem to be becoming more and more safe (metroid prime 2, luscious as it was, just lost my interest about half way through because, well, it felt like an add-on pack for Prime 1), and not that many other developers seem to want to touch it (possibly because of the constant desire for "exclusive" titles?).

Don't get me wrong - some of the best games I've ever played have been Nintendo games, and sad as it may sound there's games that I still remember and play now (still have a just-about-working SNES with mario kart, mario world, and a few other choice titles :)), but if they keep it up I won't be doing so much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i find it rather amusing that anybody would complain about games being too kiddy, then admit to reading nintendo power in the following paragraph :p

sure the wind waker's graphics were childish, but that didn't make the game any less special to me. and was imo essential, considering what ninty were trying to do with the game - portray what the world would look like from a young link's eyes.
    and just look at the new zelda title if you still feel nintendo are losing it. it looks far darker than any zelda game i've played before.

looking at my gamecube collection, there are only 2 games that i would consider letting go of, they're both multiformat titles...

i've got a lot more to add to this post but i'm in work now ¬_¬
    so i'll just leave it at this;
    if i ever have kids, the first console that i'll use to educate them about the current generation of consoles sure as **** won't be the ps2 or xbox (though they may come later on in retro gaming 101:D)

• Advertisement

tman wrote:
    and just look at the new zelda title if you still feel nintendo are losing it. it looks far darker than any zelda game i've played before.

I think that is part of the point ... the new Zelda game is still a Zelda game. When was Zelda introduced? 1987? Metroid? 1988? Super Mario? 1984? Donkey Kong? 1979? (those dates might be wrong but you get the point). All these games are based on characters and game dynamics Nintendo introduced decades ago. While they are all great games, they are really just updates on a formula Nintendo has been milking for the last 20 years, back when consoles really were "kids" games.

When was the last time Nintendo came up with a truely original game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wicknight wrote:
    I think that is part of the point ... the new Zelda game is still a Zelda game. When was Zelda introduced? 1987? Metroid? 1988? Super Mario? 1984? Donkey Kong? 1979? (those dates might be wrong but you get the point). All these games are based on characters and game dynamics Nintendo introduced decades ago. While they are all great games, they are really just updates on a formula Nintendo has been milking for the last 20 years, back when consoles really were "kids" games.

Well isn't that what everyone is doing. Franchises sell but more importantly gamers will want the next game in a franchise. However unlike other companies Nintendo never disappoint with a new franchise update. Also the Nintendo franchises are almost the only examples of an 2D games being updated successfully to 3D
    Wicknight wrote:

Well recently we have had Electroplankton.

Wicknight wrote:
    Warioware, Pikimin, Animal Crossing... all recent games, all new ideas. What exactly are you looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 plague

Electroplankton? I know it's on the DS, but was that created by N?

And I think everyone can agree that what we want is a balance. Sure, sequels definitely have their place, but there's a limit to that. A new version mainly to update team rosters, with slightly improved graphics and controls is a joke.

And while kids play games too, N should realise that there are a lot of adults who grew up with N, who would appreciate more mature games, and not a constant barrage of cartoon/childlike games.

Variety is the spice of life, and that's what we'd like. Well, that and for companies to stop releasing completely crap games! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

plague wrote:
    Variety is the spice of life....

yeah! C'mon Nintendo, be more like Sony and Microsoft! That will increase variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I'm sure we'd all love to love Nintendo. Truth is, I hardly touch my Gamecube. 2 good games a year does not make a good console, and it's starting to look more and more like Nintendo don't understand this concept and generally don't give a crap. Not that I'm saying the Xbox is all that great with all it's wishy-washy sports rehash games, but at least I get to use it more (though not for those sports games, i must add).

I'm looking forward to Killer 7, but I haven't seen anything on the DS that even remotely sparks my interest so far, or any other announced Gamecube titles (but we'll see what the next gen console brings).

And for the record, I think the Metroid games are overrated.

Warioware, Pikimin, Animal Crossing... all recent games, all new ideas. What exactly are you looking for?

Wario was introduced on the original Gameboy in the early 90s, Animal Crossing was orignally a game for the NES.

You are right about Pikimin, it was a breath of fresh air from Nintendo ... i would say there were battles long into the night at Nintendo HQ to stop Mario from taking the lead role

My problem with Nintendo isn't that they use franchies (sp?), it is that they force decade old franchies onto new games that could do perfectly well without them and as such lose the opportunity to introduce new characters and stories (StarFox Adventures anyone).

Imagine if Nintendo turned the brilliance of game design of Mario or Zelda to a new game. Imagine how much more interesting it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

It think Nintendo are falling behind because of it's lack of Quantity rather than Quality. Because it takes such a long time for games to be released, people are easily turned to playstation where games are brought out by the barrel full. It really has nothing to do with the same game having sequel after sequel cause alot of other games companies do that anyway e.g. fifa, pro WWE wrestling games, and pretty much all EA games. I have often found myself waiting up to a year for a game from nintendo but sometimes it's worth it.

I know Animal Crossing was a port of a Japan only N64 title.. but I've never heard about a NES version.

And Warioware was a completely original game concept, albeit featuring alot of old Nintendo titles. The title character really didn't have much baring on the game at all and it actually introduced alot of great new characters.

Oh.. I just remembered Doshin the Giant... which was sadly overlooked even by me... maybe they learned a lesson there, and figured new characters aren't worthwhile.

Eternal Darkness was another original title. If not a completely original game, but had enough interesting features to make it stand out..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Wicknight wrote:
    Imagine if Nintendo turned the brilliance of game design of Mario or Zelda to a new game. Imagine how much more interesting it would be.

Maroi and Zelda are Nintendos bread and butter. The Zelda games sell bucketloads and I for one look forward to each incarnation. I have said before that I love Nintendo and every console that I have owned from them always looked like the better choice before buying/console was release. From the nes, snes, n64, to the gamecube all promised more than could deliver. I just hope the "revolution" can surpass my expectation. As for variety, I also play pc games and have an xbox, but never wandered down the ps2 path because every man and his dog has one and getting a go isnt that hard. Long live Nintendo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Wariowaree was a completely original game concept
    Almost... Bishi Bashi Special

And Warioware was a completely original game concept, albeit featuring alot of old Nintendo titles. The title character really didn't have much baring on the game at all and it actually introduced alot of great new characters.

THat is the point. It was a completely different game than the Wario platformers, yet Nintendo fell that everything they do must be tied back to an established franchies. Nearly every game the produce must be tied back to something that worked before, Zelda, StarFox, Mario (especially Mario). As such each new original game concept they introduce loses the chance to actually start something new and fresh.

It is like the difference between a new drama on television and watching a soap like Corrie. While Corrie might have interesting twists and variations of its plot it is still the same characters, same worlds, same formula.

Imagine if every single drama on television had the characters from the original 1960s Corrie! That is how Nintendo feels at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

Right , any more foul talk about nintendo and the handbag will fly!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I secretly wish Sony or Microsoft would buy Nintendo.

Wicknight wrote:
    It is like the difference between a new drama on television and watching a soap like Corrie. While Corrie might have interesting twists and variations of its plot it is still the same characters, same worlds, same formula.

Imagine if every single drama on television had the characters from the original 1960s Corrie! That is how Nintendo feels at the moment.
    You might as well say why do Marvel keep making comic books about Spider-man and DC keep milking the Superman franchise.

These are major intellectual properties, they are characters that people respond to and will buy games featuring them. I'd understand if the games that were being churned out were a bit rubbish... then they should give it a rest (I'm looking at you, Sonic!) But Mario, Zelda, Samus and all are still delivery high quality games. I certainly haven't grown tired of them.

And Nintendo still experiments every now and then with something new... although it usually fails...

You might as well say why do Marvel keep making comic books about Spider-man and DC keep milking the Superman franchise.

Imagine how bored you would get with Marvel if every new comic book series was simply another series about Spider Man ("Young Spider Man", "Spider Man Buys a Factory", "Spider Man Goes Back to School", "Spider Man Becomes a Wizard") Imagine if Marvel unvailed a new comic book set in ancient Africa about a hero fighting dinosors and it turned out to be Spider Man in a hat, and the first page had a very quick intro about Spider Man falling into a time machine.

Marvel continue the original comic books but they also introduce new comic books with new characters and new worlds. Nintendo introduce new games and stick the old characters into the game, no matter how forced it is to do that, or unlike the original they are (WarioWare or Star Fox Adventures being an example).

Nintendo are just scared sh*tless of letting developers come up with new characters and settings. It seems to you can make any game style you want, be as inventive with style as you want, so long as you stick a Mario character in it at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Dbones

nintendo is always full of great ideas...
    of course they will never really touch the GBA unless it's to make a new version as the GBA will outlast the ds for years...

but lets talk about nintendo's last attempt at a new idea... the virtua boy... overnight all supprt for the Snes stopped... and a year later we had the N64...

anyone think the next system will force nintendo into the handheld market only?

and who would buy rereleased games produced by nintendo for old consoles playable on old consoles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

koneko wrote:
    And for the record, I think the Metroid games are overrated.

ALAS! Someone who shares the same opinion as I!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I posted this in another thread biut it was off topic so i'll paste it here;
    Am I the only one who's missing the logic in this post? Of all the console manufacturers I really fail to see how one could single out Nintendo as having a lack of innovation.

Quote:
    Perhaps you haven't seen the TOUCH screen. For me sony just love to take the nice safe option and thus fail to come up with anything that really challenges the way we play games (eye toy the only exception). I mean I wouldn't be surprised if they stick with their (IMO) inferior controllers for their 3rd console. Ninty constantly challenge the market with new means of interacting with the consol. Conga's anyone? And their controllers have always been a step ahead of the pack because they aren't afraid of change. Who introduced the rumble pack? The analogue stick? The touch screen?

I'm talking about now in todays world. Not years ago. Yes, the nes, snes, gameboy and n64 were great with a lot of innovation but what innovation have they had since? Those consoles had the innovation and were technically superior to their rivals apart from the retarded decission of using cardridges on the n64. It's the other manufacturers that have been providing inovation since then. Touch sensitive buttons, hard-drives, online play, dvd ect while Nintendo continues to live in the past. Now the next gen of consoles have some amazing specs. Sony with their cell processors and blue-ray discs and microsoft with their multi-core processors. Nintendo don't have something to rival this technically and judging from the last few gens they won't have the software to rival it apart from their own in house stuff. How useful is touchscreen on the DS tbh? The psp is a much more powerful handheld and a hell of a lot more practical and attractive than the DS with a lot more features. Dual screens belong in the 80's, Nintendo aren't inventing anymore, they are rehashing old ideas. That's just my opinion. I liked Nintendo for years but lately I really think they have lost the plot.

If they don't change their attitudes and marketing with the revolution I can really see it as the big N's last console. It's going to come down to games and console features. I don't think rehashing mario and zelda will save them this time. Hopefully it is a revolution for Nintendo. One they missed with the last gen of consoles.

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

BloodBath wrote:
    If they don't change their attitudes and marketing with the revolution I can really see it as the big N's last console. It's going to come down to games and console features. I don't think rehashing mario and zelda will save them this time. Hopefully it is a revolution for Nintendo. One they missed with the last gen of consoles.

Your obviously dont know the power that Zelda and Mario have.
    I do agree that the N64 and Gamecube while having brilliant games have stroke out especially the gamecube and fingers crossed that the "revolution" will do well and have a good line up when it starts like a new Mario, SSBM or Mario Kart game not something new and weird that will confuse and turn gamer's away.

Advertisement