Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Landrover Discovery

Options
  • 26-04-2005 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

In in two minds of whether to get the new landrover discovery commercial for work or not.

Does anyone have one?
    What are peoples views?

I own a limited construction company and some jobs are from green field on so I need something that is good both on and off road that can also pull a heavy trailer / generator.

Would I be better to buy cash, finance or lease through the business.

Thank you for your responces in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Don't know how good, but :

UGLY
    UGLY
    UGLY

Thats just my opinion though....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It depends what you want to do with it after. If all you're worried about is having the vehicle available for work and some personal use, leasing is probably best. If you want to go down the road of the business buying it, depreciating it on the balance sheet over a few years, then selling it off cheap to a company director (ie you), it's an easy and legal way of channelling some company profits into your personal bank account (assuming you sell it on and pocket the profit after you've transferred it from the company to you) without paying income tax. As for buying for cash or financing it, that comes down to your cashflow, is there something more profitable you could do with the cash? If so, then finance it, if not, you'll make sweet fa in interest in the banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

To be honest, i'd buy a jap 4x4.. in particular the new model Landcruiser. its very stylish.. great for towing and has been proven better than a discovery in the wet stuff.(bbc).A colleague of mine has a 03 discovery and it doesnt tow as well as a merc vito van! Another important thing is the resale value.. far better on the toyota. Trooper may be a bit bland for ya and Pajero hasn't got the spec. thats my two cents anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

If you go for the landcruiser it will be august for a SWB and september for a LWB.

I guess the toyota has 50% of its segment for a good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

I wouldnt go near anything with rover in its name, even if it's not owned by them.

A landcruiser is a much better vehicle. And its a toyota.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't know what the new one is like but my neighbour used to have a 1998 Disco Commercial and during it's lifetime it went through 3 gear boxes. Spent more time in the garage than on the road. He replaced it two years ago with a Nissan Patrol GR Commercial. The Patrol has a 3.0 V6 diesel unit and has plenty of torque. It would pull a mountain from side of the country to the other without hassel.

If you cannot get your hands on a Landcruiser then my next choice would be the Patrol GR.

Advertisement