Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Txt Spk

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

|Referee| wrote:
    Hey Cremo go watch Arrested Development and STFU!

yeh cheers, and i don't like getting private messages like this...

Hair Serum
    so u hv a fkng prb wit th wy I spk,
    U prk
    I ht u
    die die,
    I wan't to see you burn!

can you translate please first, before i begin to protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Now you see, it is the completely pointless use of apostrophes that makes me want to cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Any form of private abuse to any member is a pretty serious offence, I dont we need members like this.

V.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Ah.. this brings me back to the days when IYFEG was the only abbreviation in town (or was it just the only one I remember?). Oh yeah and BOFH was big too...

.. and now what have we ? IMHO, IMVHO, LOL, TBH, TLC , the dreaded txt spk and much much more...bandwidth is plentiful now so no need to compress our messages..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I think I have changed my mind on this one , while txt spk is most annoying , inet abbreviations are part of forums . If you go to another country you learn the language , if you come on the internet , you learn the language . Txt spk is inet kiddies trying to be 1337 :) whereas I believe abbreviations came about from irc( internet relay chat , before any has a go at me ) and have become acceptable on most parts of the inet . To do away with them is to try and be aloof , to pretend that we are somewhere or something else . This is a discussion board on the internet , treat it as such .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

y0u f001$ 80w 4nd 83 hum813 83f0r3 my m4d 7x7 $k!11$

http://www.uni-weimar.de/~schulz3/leetgenApplet/LeetGenApplet.html

parsi wrote:
    Ah.. this brings me back to the days when IYFEG was the only abbreviation in town (or was it just the only one I remember?). Oh yeah and BOFH was big too...

.. and now what have we ? IMHO, IMVHO, LOL, TBH, TLC , the dreaded txt spk and much much more...bandwidth is plentiful now so no need to compress our messages..

In my day, I had to walk 15 miles in the snow until we even got to learn about what txt spk was. You kids these days have it so easy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I stick anyone who can't write properly on the ignore list. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Arabel wrote:
    Also I think TBH is over used here. I've seen some posts with a link and then TBH or even just TBH on its own.

TBH really annoys me. It seems to become part of a standard reply when you disagree with someone:

Q. Has anyone got any Chinese recipes?

A. Indian, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

I too support text speak banning. Kill them all.

No punchline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

while i can handle the odd bit of txt speak, the thing that gets my goat is this penchant for writing the way inner city kids talk

dis, dat, dere etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

so u hv a fkng prb wit th wy I spk,
    U prk
    I ht u
    die die,
    I wan't to see you burn!
    It's the extra apostrophe that just makes it for me.
    while i can handle the odd bit of txt speak, the thing that gets my goat is this penchant for writing the way inner city kids talk

dis, dat, dere etc etc etc
    Don't ever drive through Buttevant (it's in Cork by the way). They probably still have that series of anti-litter signs that I only ever saw there that read "Don't Drop Dat" or something similar. You know, for kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

Reminds me of the Philadelphia ad - mst mt agn smtme ha ha ha!
    drives me nuts, the only time I do any text speak on my phone is when I've run out of characters, then I change the 'to' to 2 and 'and' to '&' but that's about it, I even do the space after the comma, it's just habit, so I agree with everyone else, ban them all!!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

sceptre wrote:
    Don't ever drive through Buttevant (it's in Cork by the way). They probably still have that series of anti-litter signs that I only ever saw there that read "Don't Drop Dat" or something similar. You know, for kids!

It's still there .. along with the potholed main street, the devilish bends, the slow driving muppets, the "double-park your car in the main street" brigade and all the others who make driving through Buttevant such a pleasant experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

parsi wrote:
    Buttevant

*sniggers a la Beavis and Butthead*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

2FAST 2FURIOUS!!!!1

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Pfft. Amp, don't you have some console modders to oppress? ;)

A ban on excessive text speak would be fine as long as no one goes around 12 clicking offenders, but you can't expect people to give up the wonders of irc derived abbreviations (except when preceded with the word "Jesus" *shudder*). Tbh, iirc, lol and imho deserve their own entries in the dictionary. Well, a really extensive dictionary anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I concur with regard to tbh, lol etc.

Text talk isn't to bad, in moderation. But if you have to decipher a post, thats ridiculous. I don't think a ban is useful though, we'd lose half of boards.ie members. Maybe a warning. And a lesson in forum posting etiquette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Maybe you should have a text speak police? Like the sigpo...if you see someone writing extenisively in this gibberish you report them. Or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

i m her 2 say dat who cares bout txt spk, ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

petes wrote:
    Im against it too. Actually I find it easier and faster to type using normal words as I know where they are on the keyboard. If I started to txt type Id be feckin ages making a post. Bannage!!

Where can I get one of those keyboards with words on it? Is it large?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I wholeheartedly condone this product/service/idea.

Ban em all!

Nothing makes me angrier than someone posting up about a problem, and i can't actually understand what they're actually saying. Its rediculous! You'd think they could spare 30 seconds out of their life to write a proper message *glares at his sister* that means you!

Advertisement