Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual-purpose LCD-TV

Options
  • 26-04-2005 2:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking of conserving space in my next apartment by buying a Dell 26" LCD-TV or equivalent and using it both for computing and television. However I'm concerned about compatability, heavy usage, and ease of use. For example:
    • I work from home, so the display is going to be running pretty much non-stop for ~16 hours a day, is this going to be an issue?
    • How would I hook it up? The TV feed would come from a Sky+ box, and I'd need to hook up a VCR and DVD player as well. The computer is a 2+ yo Medion, which has a TV card and a SCART socket, but I've never used the TV card and I have an odd feeling that the SCART only operates outward.
    • How would I switch between the computer and the TV? Would I be able to watch TV in a window while working on the computer?
    Any help you can give me to figure things out would be much appreciated.

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

The Dell LCD TV can take a DVI input, so if you have a video card that has DVI out then you can use that directly.

My Dell (not a TV) has a PIP (Picture in Picture) option, so I can play PS2 in a window while I work in the main view. I'm sure the TV has that option aswell. The display is changed by a button on the front of the screen (or remote) and changes what input is displayed on screen, or in the PIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ifyouaskillyou

what price is the dell 26"

i saw some great 30" jvc with pc input tv tuner speakers for around €1800-€1900 was thinking of picking one up its sold more as a tv than a pc monitor but i reckon it should still work well as both

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

WizZard wrote:
    The Dell LCD TV can take a DVI input, so if you have a video card that has DVI out then you can use that directly.
    Yeah, most of them seem to have a DVI input. I'm not sure how the TV signal comes in though; not really a home entertainment guy, just trying to pick it up as I go along. :)
    WizZard wrote:
    My Dell (not a TV) has a PIP (Picture in Picture) option, so I can play PS2 in a window while I work in the main view. I'm sure the TV has that option aswell. The display is changed by a button on the front of the screen (or remote) and changes what input is displayed on screen, or in the PIP
    That sounds good, but I presume you don't have control over the positioning of the PIP, and you would if the signal ran through the computer? I also have a 19" LCD which I don't think is worth selling, and a video card with DVI and analog outs, so I'm thinking I could run dual-head and have the TV on the 19" while I'm working (I'm a news addict).

Assuming the TV signal would be in the clear - would it be? - another advantage would be the ability to record to disk. With that in mind, would it be possible to chain the Sky box, VCR and DVD player with SCART, hook the Sky box up to the computer (how?), and the computer to the display? Or am I asking too much of the equipment? :)
    what price is the dell 26"
    They have them on special offer at €1150 atm, but that's due to expire in two days. They say it's 25% off so if that's the case I'd actually probably head to Komplett or someone. Wouldn't go higher than €1250 or so, a medium display is fine.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Do not use any of the existing LCDs for your full time monitor.. It will destroy your eyes..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

get the dell, theie 3 year warranty is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

the resolution of an LCD TV is far too low to use as a monitor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've decided against the idea, but thanks for the feedback folks, it was very helpful.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Consider the Dell Widescreen TFTs. They have composite video in and stuff and make for a great monitor.

Advertisement