Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco IPv6 support

Options
  • 26-04-2005 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I've been rooting around the Cisco website but cannot find much in the way of conclusive answers to this question... Does anyone know if the following Cisco gear will support IPv6 (through IOS software updates I guess)?:

(I know in the case of switches its all ethernet to them anyway, but will managed switches like these allow administrators to log into them and manage features like VLANs etc in an ipv6-only environment?)

*Catalyst 2950 fast ethernet switches (24 and 48 port flavours)
    *Catalyst 3524 fast ethernet switches
    *Catalyst 3548 fast ethernet switches
    *Catalyst 6000 router
    *Catalyst 3500XL switch, 24 ports
    *6509 switch, configured with about 160 ports
    *4006 switch, configured with about 240 ports
    *3640 routers, various interfaces (eg ATM, ISDN basic rate, ethernet, etc)
    *Catalyst 3508 GigE switch, 8 ports

As far as I can tell, the 3640 routers do indeed support IPv6 with IOS updates, but the ones I'm having the most problems with are the 2950s and 3524/3548 switches, as they're a bit older.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

If you have a CCO login have a look at the feature navigator:

http://www.cisco.com/go/fn

The only switches you need to worry about are the ones doing layer 3. IPv6 can run over any VLAN, but can only be routed by a layer 3 switch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Lots of your list are layer 2 like 3500XL switches and 29xx series so it is irrelevant unless you have layer 3 switches in which case an IOS flash is needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dunno if IOS flashes will allow you to allocate them an IP6 management address either .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Cheers for your help - the hardware isn't mine and I have no access to it, so I was not sure what was layer 2 and what was layer 3 etc - this is all fairly hypothetical for my final project in college, naturally the college does not want students fooling with their systems!

Advertisement