Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

42" Plasma but what inputs are best?

Options
  • 26-04-2005 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Ok will prob be investing in a Panasonic TH42PW6B from Richersounds next month (unless someone can suggest something better around the same budget of 2k).

However I'm very confused about the range of inputs. Seems there's only vga as standard on this with scart 'boards' an extra €220 each (why so much?). I often read on here about the superior nature of 'component video'? but have been happily using the s-video socket in my tv upto now.

Not too bothered about the lack of tuner since Sky is being used plus my dvd player, xbox, gamecube etc.

I'd really appreciate advice on which video source would be best and why since I'd like to get the max benefit from the screen that I can.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

The very best inputs into a plasma/lcd are DVI/HDMI, but in this case it may not be an option.

If you're using Sky, you want to get the RGB from the Sky scart into the Plasma.
    RGB is similar to the VGA computer signal (different sync etc) and with some combinations of equipment, a converter can get you from one to another.

Still the simplest will be a SCART boards (or maybe you need the RGB component board) - check with someone whou has one.

If you have a nice DVD player then you want the component out from it.

But here is the problem, while the Plasma is 1900, add 2 boards @ 220 each and you're now at 2300. As far as I know this panel does not have speakers, and attachable speakers for this baby are 500euro+. If you want to wall mount then your really need the speakers, or else a lot of hidden cabling or a mess. If you are not wall mounting then you will need a stand (also not included).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

pH wrote:
    If you're using Sky, you want to get the RGB from the Sky scart into the Plasma.
    RGB is similar to the VGA computer signal (different sync etc) and with some combinations of equipment, a converter can get you from one to another.

This looks pretty good but what is the difference between this converter and an actual scart board for the screen? Would this be noticeably superior?
    pH wrote:
    If you have a nice DVD player then you want the component out from it.

Not too sure if there is component out from the dvd player I'll try and check that out. Component seems to be mentioned a lot is the picture very much better than rgb scart? [edited to add; just checked and I'm pretty sure my dvd does not output component just composite or s-video.] Been trying to read around on google to understand a bit better but am I right in saying component is only an advantage for playing dvds? (i.e. not for sky, xbox etc)
    pH wrote:
    But here is the problem, while the Plasma is 1900, add 2 boards @ 220 each and you're now at 2300. As far as I know this panel does not have speakers, and attachable speakers for this baby are 500euro+. If you want to wall mount then your really need the speakers, or else a lot of hidden cabling or a mess. If you are not wall mounting then you will need a stand (also not included).

Yeah it's bare bones as it is all right but still a good price as far as I'm aware. I'll have to get the wall mount (€150) but will be feeding all sound through the dvd/amp.

If I got the converter you linked to (thanks btw :) ) or just one scart board would it impact picture quality if I just feed a scart splitter into it?

Cheers for the advice :)

Advertisement