Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking a latop

Options
  • 26-04-2005 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Heh there.

Tried overclock my laptop by upping the FSB from 66 to 100mhz using the intel software from their site. Said it worked but I;m not sure.

I'm using the laptop for music and found that sequences would be out of time the next time I started the program.

Any ideas?

What is the easiet way to OC a laptop.

Specs:
    Dell Inspirion Celeron 433mhz, 256 mb ram, 66mhz mobo.
    tia.
    Mot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Dell laptop's almost every dell laptop i have seen does not have a feature in the Bios to overclock the puter - Why even bother all your going to do is generate more heat anyway.
    Beside's it is a celeron you won't get much out of it.

Bad mobo and Bad Cpu = no overclock or little clock

haven't seen any dell lappy that can overclock come to think of it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In general laptops are designed to conserve power and usually to run slower if overheating or on battery. If you over clock it will generate more heat and if you havent sorted that out it either mean a slowdown or system will burn out faster (electronics don't last forever) or just more unstable because of the heat.

Having in plugged in usualy means it usually runs faster than on battery.

433MHz - if you haven't done it recently, backup wipe and reinstall to a clean OS and apply all patches etc would probably speed it up more than overclocking esp if running windows 98 (if running XP then the license is worth more than the machine and 256 MB is minimum realistic spec)

Advertisement