Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV appalling service

• 26-04-2005 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

Beware of the UTV offer of 3 month free broadband - they offer a near non-existence customer service.

I have problems with the router and it is impossible to get though to them from 8am through to 9pm either by phone, e-mail or fax.

They have not replied to even one e-mail - 6 sent since last Wednesday.

I have now written to them canceling the service and the attached phone service - still no reply.

- Note the 99.00 connection fee after 3 months!!!! - not great vlaue when you read the small print.

Its just not worth the agro.

Who's the best in terms of service at a reasonable price.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mcaul wrote:
    Beware of the UTV offer of 3 month free broadband - they offer a near non-existence customer service.

I have problems with the router and it is impossible to get though to them from 8am through to 9pm either by phone, e-mail or fax.

They have not replied to even one e-mail - 6 sent since last Wednesday.

I have now written to them canceling the service and the attached phone service - still no reply.

- Note the 99.00 connection fee after 3 months!!!! - not great vlaue when you read the small print.

Its just not worth the agro.

Who's the best in terms of service at a reasonable price.

What problems are you having with the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

What is going on tonight ?

Speeds on CS+ up and down 186k to 1.1mb on speedtest ....

All over the place - currently 25 mins on hold with over 10 people in the Queue - Is there some general problem tonight ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

just generaly crap!

i am leaving them very soon.

should have gotten 2mb as of start of the month, and didnt.

turns out that althought i had the 16gig limit, we didnt have the lower contention and where never getting our full service!!!

Wanton wrote:
    just generaly crap!

turns out that althought i had the 16gig limit, we didnt have the lower contention and where never getting our full service!!!

I am seriously considering this also - I have had probs since the upgrade - any news on the support newsgroup as to what's happening ? I don't have a newsreader installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

finally got through after waiting 36 minutes was told it was a firewall problem that I had, I told them I had disabled the firewall, then he said I would have to be put through to tech support, told hi I had tried that nyumerous times, he said "there's a long wait" up to 45 minutes!!, I said no thanks just cancel the service.

Asked why there was such a problem with tech support, all he said that I would have to talk to "management" - very disillusioned chap - I doubt he'll be staying for too long!!

• Advertisement

mcaul wrote:
    finally got through after waiting 36 minutes was told it was a firewall problem that I had, I told them I had disabled the firewall, then he said I would have to be put through to tech support, told hi I had tried that nyumerous times, he said "there's a long wait" up to 45 minutes!!, I said no thanks just cancel the service.

Asked why there was such a problem with tech support, all he said that I would have to talk to "management" - very disillusioned chap - I doubt he'll be staying for too long!!

1) Why did you not get through to "Tech" support first ?

2) What happens at 9pm - are all the people in the Queue dumped ?

3) Anybody know what the UTV newsgroups server is ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

3) Anybody know what the UTV newsgroups server is ?

news.utvinternet.com

Carl in the newsgroup is probably the best person to ask for help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

news.utvinternet.ie

PiE wrote:
    news.utvinternet.ie

Thanks guys ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

I needed admin to get password for old ipaccount and get it re-activated. Tech line is never answered within 30 min!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Wanton wrote:
    just generaly crap!

I'm in a similar situation - stuck on 1Mbit. I havn't confirmed whether I am being resold the 48:1 product with a higher cap but I strongly suspect I am. I've rang their tech support twice in the last two weeks and I get the distinct impression it's a case of saying "we'll get that sorted", then ignoring the problem. I'll ring again this weekend and will no doubt be fed some more crap. I don't have a huge problem with long hold times so long as the eventual call is dealt with professionally and my problem is escalated to the correct people and fixed. This is not happening at UTV.

If I hadn't just started a 12 month contract I'd leave asap but I'm stuck unless I can find a way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Yes, they have the most disgraceful customer service support I've ever known. I can never get through, and when I do, they always say they'll call me back and don't bother. They never reply to my e-mails either.

I plan to leave them when my 12 months are up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm in a similar situation - stuck on 1Mbit. I havn't confirmed whether I am being resold the 48:1 product with a higher cap but I strongly suspect I am.

<paranoia>
    This raises an interesting question, prior to the upgrade, I wonder if people who were paying €45 for the 24:1 512k product were really only on the 48:1 512k product, just with a higher cap.

There would have been no way to know, as there is little or no difference between 24:1 and 48:1 and no way to tell from the modem.

That would have been a nice and sneaky way to increase your profit margin (as you would only have to pay Eircom for a 48:1 product). It is only coming to light now due to the speed increases being more obviously different.

Perhaps I'm being completely unfair to UTV and they are only having technical problems with the upgrades. Maybe I should be less paranoid.
    </paranoia>

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bk wrote:
    <paranoia>
    This raises an interesting question, prior to the upgrade, I wonder if people who were paying €45 for the 24:1 512k product were really only on the 48:1 512k product, just with a higher cap.

Perhaps I'm being completely unfair to UTV and they are only having technical problems with the upgrades. Maybe I should be less paranoid.
    </paranoia>

I have been on cs plus since its introduction and I have often wondered about this before as there was no way of knowing if you were really on the plus product (apart from the cap) before the upgrade. But after a day or two of unsteady speeds following the upgrade I have been having fairly steady speeds of about 1.6/1.7 Mbps down and 90 - 100 kbps up and the router shows 2048/128.

Advertisement