Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the states [query]

Options
  • 26-04-2005 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

Folks, I wasnt sure where to put this but It will get viewed most in here so .....

Im considering moving to the states in the next year and Im wondering if anyone had any tips on how I would go about moving there and been legal ?

Any other relevant info would be useful !

Thanks Declan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭floyd.pepper

the Guru wrote:
    Folks, I wasnt sure where to put this but It will get viewed most in here so .....

Im considering moving to the states in the next year and Im wondering if anyone had any tips on how I would go about moving there and been legal ?

Any other relevant info would be useful !

Thanks Declan

http://www.emigrantadvice.ie/ should have all the useful information you
    need.

don't be put off my their logo, it's in the game !!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

do you have family in teh states? where in the states are you moving too?
    do you have a visa in place already?
    what plans have you made and when are you moving?
    do you plan on staying with friends or family? how do you plan on making a living?
    some questions to ask yourself and that will help us in the advice to give you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

do you have family in teh states?
    No
    where in the states are you moving too?
    Florida

do you have a visa in place already?
    No

what plans have you made and when are you moving?
    I hope to move in the next year and i seeking info at the moment.

do you plan on staying with friends or family? how do you plan on making a living?

I plan to stay with a friend and I would like to get a job in telcomms over there.
    some questions to ask yourself and that will help us in the advice to give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

There's many different visas you can get. The most common one is the H1b visa which is given mainly to those with a university degree. You must sort all the visa issues out well in advance. They are accepting applications for the H1b visas now (since the start April) and there are issused in october. There is a cap on this visa so get your application in early. My advice is email as many companies as possible for a job. It depends on the area of work you are in but it can be difficult to get a company to sponsor you. There is so much paperwork involved in the visa process it takes too much time for the company.

There's other visas like trainee visas and temporary work visas. So whichever one suits you. There's a good website called visapro.com and it tells you about all the visas and what is required by you to qualify for one. It can be a hard route to go. The US has cracked down a lot on visas since 9/11- the bombers were on J1 Students visas. BUt once you have all the information- the companies, yours, bank details, where you will stay, ties to your native country, you should be ok. Also an idea is to find a lawyer who could file it for you.

But it can be worth the effect. America is a great place for oppurtunity and they love the Irish!!
    I myself am waiting to get a visa for America. And it's been a long tiring process. But I will get there one day!

Good Luck! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Anyone have any idea how US companies feel about filling out that kind of paperwork. I heard from a mate that a H1B costs €10,000. Is that true?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
Advertisement