Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line fails / No LoS - can I still get BB?

• 26-04-2005 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked a zillion times.

My phone line fails all the online tests for BB availability.
    I'm on the Sandyford exchange in Dublin.
    (I also fail the Irish Broadband Line of Sight tests for their service).
    Is there any way of enabling my line - do Eircom do an individual callout service, or does the whole exchange have to be revamped?
    I know about the trigger programs, but feel that'll take ages. :(
    Any other suggestions how to get BB enabled?
    I'm going to need broadband for working from home soon, so any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

You might want to call up Eircom ADSL sales and see what they can do for you. Allegedly they have a special team to deal with line fails, even though I'm sure they will claim ignorance of this when you call them. They can minimally escalate the line failure to an engineer. If you're in the Gallops, I know somebody who got ADSL from Eircom over a year ago despite the line being marked as a fail.

Oh and NTL covers parts of Sandyford so you probably want to call them as well. They have the best value BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

whiskeyman wrote:
    Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked a zillion times.

My phone line fails all the online tests for BB availability.
    I'm on the Sandyford exchange in Dublin.
    (I also fail the Irish Broadband Line of Sight tests for their service).
    Is there any way of enabling my line - do Eircom do an individual callout service, or does the whole exchange have to be revamped?
    I know about the trigger programs, but feel that'll take ages. :(
    Any other suggestions how to get BB enabled?
    I'm going to need broadband for working from home soon, so any help would be much appreciated.

you may be able to get an engineer to call out if your close nieghbours have broadband - just yesterday one of the guys i worked with has talked an engineer (eircom) to calling out as his line fails but his neighbours both sides have it... might work... all you need is to key in a number thats near to you and try and then phone them up armed with these extra details... it might help persuade them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

have you tried Smart also? i was in your situation till i tried them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

thanks for the advice.
    Just tried my two neighbours lines - one passes, the other fails.
    Am living in an oldish house (1950s), so wonder if this affects the technology / quality of the lines.

Smart is not in my area according to their site...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

AFAIK, It's quite possible for your line to fail when your next-door neighbour's doesn't, because back in the day (i.e. 1950's!) they split the original line to supply multiple telephones lines. As a result the quality of the line wouldn't be sufficient to support BB. Where in Sandyford are you if you failed a LOS with IBB, and when was this test conducted?

It's best to call up Eircom with the mindset that you should have ADSL, instead of thinking of reasons why it might fail. It's possible they will resolve the problem if there even is a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

just call the 1901 number?
    I'll give that a shot. Mind you, they're making a fortune off me on dialup at the moment... I doubt they'll want to change me when they see :p
    Thanks again.

The number I have for ADSL sales is 1800 503 303.

Also read this for inspiration: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2666442&postcount=95

And call NTL if you have cable in the house.

Advertisement