Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brothers in Arms demo

Options
  • 26-04-2005 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

clicky

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Brothers in Arms Demo [April 26, 2005, 12:00 pm EDT] - 1 Comment
    A playable demo is now available for Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30, allowing the chance to sample Gearbox Software's World War II first-person shooter (described in the read me as "the first game in the Brothers in Arms game series"). Here's the description of the demo, which also includes a tutorial: "The demo contains the first level of the game, 'Rendevous [sic] with Destiny', where you must parachute into Normandy and head for St Mere l'Eglise. Once you've finished that stage you'll jump ahead to 'Action at Vierville' where you must clear the town of Germans using both your squad and Sgt Risners M5 Stuart tank." The 375 MB download

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They release the Demo a few months after the actual game??? :confused:

Or whats the deal with this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I am aware of todays date.

But why demo released today?

The game has been out for ages.

Edit - I checked out the site and yes as I originally asked - they released the demo a month after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

To hoover up those last few sales from people who held off from buying the game because they thought it looked like ****e? They try the demo for a laugh, find its actually bearable and spend some cash. That would be the logic anyway. I'll give the demo a whirl but given the reviews Ive seen my opinion wont be altered all that much.

Theyre capitalist dogs out to squeeze every possible dime from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Seems a damn fine game to me think ill pick it up tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I think it's pretty good aswell. Not just a straight forward fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

Brothers in Arms is a lot of fun. Damn hard at times though. The squad orders system is a nice new addition to the tired old WWII FPS.

I'm always wary of games that release a demo well after the full title is released, always indicates to me that the game is sub-standard and the makers don't want a demo exposing that fact and eating into their sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

error: invalid compressed data to inflate

bah !

humbug!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I've been playing BiA for a few days now, and while it's a pretty good FPS, my main problem with it is a total lack of atmosphere. It just doesn't feel like 'war' in the same way as CoD or even MoH back in the day. It has completely put me off playing the game any more. That one of the main characters looks like Joker in Full Metal Jacket is just another nail in its coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Downloading.
    Does anyone remember a game called Half Life 2 that was released last November. I cant seem to recall the demo appearing until after the game was released. I may be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Half life 2???? Never heard of it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Actually I take it all back, this game is crap. Surpress, flank, surpress, flank, surpress, flank. Yep that's good for the first 10mins, not for an entire game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Giblet wrote:
    Actually I take it all back, this game is crap. Surpress, flank, surpress, flank, surpress, flank. Yep that's good for the first 10mins, not for an entire game.

ya i wouldnt say crap but not the best shouldnt of bought it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It was better than I thought it would be but not good enough to warrant a purchase.

The tactical aspect is simple and easy to use, primarily because as already said, its a one trick pony - pin down the enemy, flank the enemy. Its even easier with the colour coded enemy which means youll almost never get ambushed or suprised, and it removes the tension from assaults because you *know* theyre pinned.

Ive got to say I did enjoy running up behind tanks and chucking a grenade in the hatch. One of those things that all games should implement.

As for that story driven thing - it would have been enough to have the historical background to levels rather than beating us over the head with philisophical poetry at the start of every level and cliched interactions between squad members. By the end of that second demo level I wanted to kill that overly cheerful tank commander. Whats he so happy about? Only shame was you couldnt complete the level without him alive, so you wouldnt get to see him pathetically attempting to escape the flaming ruin of his tank. Definite missed opportunity there.

Enemy AI seems pretty poor and heavily scripted also. You could be having a raging gun battle with enemy soldiers and their mates just 20 meters away around the corner wont bother you. Approach within X meters and suddenly/inevitably theyll run around the corner and use the handy cover youd think was almost laid out for them.

Oh and it would have been nice that when youre using the tanks machine gun, that the tank would turn/advance/retreat using your movement keys rather than having to use the order system which was very awkward to use to get the tank to set up right.

Anyway, like I said, better than I thought, but still not good enough.

Advertisement