Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS Question

Options
  • 26-04-2005 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Have an old Dell Axim X5 lying around that's not getting much use..one of my mates has a newer model with the Dell Bluetooth GPS which got me thinking about diging the X5 out to use as a Navigation PDA. Did a quick ebay search and am looking at the Compact Flash GPS receiver, because the X5 doesnt have bluetooth.

So my questions are:

Does anyone use the CF GPS cards and any comments on them?

and

Will the software my mate got with the maps (Navteq) work with this CF GPS or what software would people recommend?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

dec2000 wrote:
    Have an old Dell Axim X5 lying around that's not getting much use..one of my mates has a newer model with the Dell Bluetooth GPS which got me thinking about diging the X5 out to use as a Navigation PDA. Did a quick ebay search and am looking at the Compact Flash GPS receiver, because the X5 doesnt have bluetooth.

So my questions are:

Does anyone use the CF GPS cards and any comments on them?

and

Will the software my mate got with the maps (Navteq) work with this CF GPS or what software would people recommend?

Thanks in advance!!
    personally, I'd go with a bluetooth CF adaptor, and a seperate bluetooth gps unit. But in answer to your question, all you need is a gps unit that's NMEA-0183 compatible, (virtually all are).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I've recently got a new PDA with bluetooth GPS receiver and have been looking at maps of the Republic. The Navteq based maps appear to be by far the best for Ireland. I have downloaded the latest beta version of Mapopolis who use the Navteq maps. They also let you download demo versions of the maps. They are due a new release of maps in the next month or so which should greatly improve Ireland coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

yeh was originally thinking on the rout of getting a CF bluetooth but when I saw the GPS thought its would cut out the middle man so to speak...

thanks for the tip on Mapoplis - I'll have a look at that

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭walter

BigMoose wrote:
    I've recently got a new PDA with bluetooth GPS receiver and have been looking at maps of the Republic. The Navteq based maps appear to be by far the best for Ireland. I have downloaded the latest beta version of Mapopolis who use the Navteq maps. They also let you download demo versions of the maps. They are due a new release of maps in the next month or so which should greatly improve Ireland coverage.

try the microsoft pocket street 2005 ,but there is only 2 maps about ireland (dublin and cork)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

The existing Mapopolis maps have some coverage for every county in the Republic. From what I can tell they have all N roads and some R but few smaller. They claim to have maps for the North too but the demo version wouldn't download.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

Downloaded Mapopolis and its pretty detailed alright - the interface is not the nicest around however. Also bought the GlobalSat 307 Compact Flash GPS receiver so look forward to trying it all together.

one question: what is the pilot data pane in mapopolis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

It gives stuff like your heading, altitude, speed etc....

Advertisement