Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope Benedict XVI (was...yeah)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

If you go to www.truthforyouth.com and go to the part on homosexuality it says that people musn't hate gays as that is a sin but to hate them is also a sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That site made me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

HeyYou wrote:
    Eh, matthew? That only happens if all the people with AIDS keep to themselves entirely and no new infections occur.
    But the amounts will increase until there AIDS is in the minority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

Piste wrote:
    If you go to www.truthforyouth.com and go to the part on homosexuality it says that people musn't hate gays as that is a sin but to hate them is also a sin.

Is that not the same thing twice?..
    "Don't hate them - that's a sin"
    "Hating them is a sin"
    Or that just me?..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

But the amounts will increase until there AIDS is in the minority
    That makes ABSOLUTELY no sense. seeing as one can be HIV positive for years and years and not develop AIDS, thats a completely false statement to make.

• Advertisement

Whoopsies, that should have read ''people musn't hate gays as that is a sin but to support them is also a sin.''

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

how can the pope take some of the blame for the AIDS crisis for speaking out against contraception, when he is equally in support of abstinence altogether?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Contraception is more fun than abstinence?

Complete abstinence is idealistic, contraception is not. if you tell people that they have two choices to not get HIV/AIDS: a)Not have sex or b)Have sex but with protection, what do you think they will do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

I also agree with Ana because the problem in Africa is digustingly ****ed up.
    Plenty of things in Africa are FUBAR. Oh well, ho hum, it's their culture, can't interfere, unless you're the UN, in which case you're probably doing more harm than good.

• Advertisement

Au Contraire, a lot of things are ****ed in Africa at the moment as a result of famine which is a result of climate change which is a result of global warming and the like which is a result of release of certain gases into the atmosphere by richer countries. By cutting down on energy use, yes we can interfere. If people go about educating people in safe sex and all that Jazz it will help the AIDS crisis slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This story is in today's Sunday Times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-1592856,00.html

which raises the very obvious question as stated in the article

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Piste wrote:
    Au Contraire, a lot of things are ****ed in Africa at the moment as a result of famine
    Try to solve this famine by giving them food and you end up with Mogadishu, 1993*. Local tinpot dictator starts stealing food supplies, attempts are made to stop him, and you end up with helicopters falling out of the sky and thousands of casualties (18 Americans KIA, 78 WIA, 1 MIA, along with over 500 Somalians dead and over 1000 wounded)

*For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, go watch Black Hawk Down, and actually pay attention to what they're saying. Even better, read the book

Unfortunately, many try to solve the third world problems of Africa with a first world solution. It's fine sitting in your chair saying "send them food, send them condoms, all will be fine then", but it's another getting it to them without having to shoot all the people you're supposedly trying to save, because it's the only thing they understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭HeyYou

Matthew also forgot that AIDS is passed down for mmother to child, so the only way his thing could be true is if people with AIDS werent' allowed have kids and weren't allowed to sleep with anyone except other AIDS patients. Which won't happen.

Here's the thing though. The Catholic Church is a take-it-or-leave-it organisation. Nobody's forcing people to be members of it; if they don't like it, they can leave whenever they like. It's an organisation wiht doctrinal rules to protect, why should it have to pander to the will of the majority if it flies in the face of its teachings?

I'm not taking either side here (yet), just playing Devil's Advocate again.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Oisín Collins

As I heard in the UL Debating IV's, the Catholic church is concerned with the matter of saving souls. To them, using a condom is a sin, and is worse than dieing from AIDS contracted by unprotected sex.

"There is a thing, worse than AIDS, and that's called hell.
    And there is a thing, better than using a condom, and that's called heaven"

Aren't IV's (Intervarsities) fun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

ColHol wrote:
    how can the pope take some of the blame for the AIDS crisis for speaking out against contraception, when he is equally in support of abstinence altogether?
    yes, abstinence is extremely idealistic and even though i am an utter idealist (at heart, anyway), abstinence isn't going to work, least of all in sub saharan africa. this goes beyond the church adapting to modern times blahblahblah, this is a question of culture and the ideas of sex and of family (separately, please, you bunch of sickos) in terms of the wider community.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

True, but people are trying to say that theyre such great catholics for not using condoms, but if theyre such great catholics why dont they abstain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

ColHol: People of what marital status?

Ois&#237 wrote: »
    Aren't IV's (Intervarsities) fun?

Not in UL they're not! What were you doing there anyway? Come to Dublin if you want a real IV.

I just thought twas funny that when people disagree with the position of the Curch on something, they demand the Church changes to accomodate them against its own doctrine. Why not leave? Ian Paisley did :D

HeyYou wrote:
    Not in UL they're not! What were you doing there anyway? Come to Dublin if you want a real IV.

I was debating, I'm in UL!!! And it WAS fun!

HeyYou wrote:
    Why not leave? Ian Paisley did :D

I dont think I've ever heard a worse argument for leaving the Catholic Church! ;)

• Advertisement

You're in college? Weren't you in CTYI last year? Or have I gone totally crazy?

And seriously, the UL "IV" is the worst out of the five big Irish IVs. I know, I've been to them all. Come to Dublin (or Cork) for a good one. And I don't think Paisley was ever a Catholic... I think he left some other controversial religion whose name I can't remember...Islam, that's it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

i want to go get myself excommunicated. because, well, in the eyes of the catholic church, i'm still a member. in fact, i am a "lapsed catholic" - so to remedy this, i want to go get excommunicated :) not cus i really care, but its just a little point :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Moon the Pope! One of my ambitions in life.

GENIUS!!! That should be a reunion!!

I am in college, AND I was at CTYI last year. You haven't lost it yet big guy. I only got into debating in time for the UL IV's this year, you'll see me around next year I imagine!!

Pah stupid near exam time IVs...
    Who's Hey You? Forgive my ignorance... :o

Also bring on Rottweiler moonage, just hope he doesn't bite! :D

I'm Irwin, nice to meet you :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Starbabe

Irwin's cool. GSOH. :D

*shakes hand*
    I'm Plunky. Pleasure to make your acquaintance! I'm Rosie's older brother. You may remember her from such classes as Advertising '04...

Advertisement