Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL wireless BB trials

• 26-04-2005 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

NTL wireless BB trials are starting this week, speeds and costs are the same as
    the cable based system. :D

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I assume you mean a wireless modem, as in the cable comes into your house as normal and it is then transmitted around the house by Wifi.

There is nothing exciting about tihs, I already have a similiar setup with my own gear on NTL and Eircom already offer this on DSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

bk wrote:
    I assume you mean a wireless modem, as in the cable comes into your house as normal and it is then transmitted around the house by Wifi.

There is nothing exciting about tihs, I already have a similiar setup with my own gear on NTL and Eircom already offer this on DSL.

are you kidding ? :eek: anything new from NTL must be exciting ;)

no joke, Matt Kemp (BB product manager) contacted me yesterday at NTL
    he monitors this forum and seen my post here
    and offered to install the wireless system for my son, I did post it yesterday
    here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

lensman wrote:
    no joke, Matt Kemp (BB product manager) contacted me yesterday at NTL he monitors this forum and seen my post here
    Umm, where does Kemp come into that post?
    and offered to install the wireless system for my son, I did post it yesterday here
    That's wifi, not wireless broadband.

You seem to get a lot of correspondance from Matt Kemp the ntl bb product manager - care to elaborate ;)

And if he does monitor boards then I ask why have ntl chosen not to increase the upload speeds substantially as per oodles of threads and posts from ntl customers and prospective ntl customers?

causal

causal wrote:
    Umm, where does Kemp come into that post?
    That's wifi, not wireless broadband.

You seem to get a lot of correspondance from Matt Kemp the ntl bb product manager - care to elaborate ;)

And if he does monitor boards then I ask why have ntl chosen not to increase the upload speeds substantially as per oodles of threads and posts from ntl customers and prospective ntl customers?

causal

sorry,. the post Matt Kemp responded to is here
    he seen the post and sent me a PM with offers of help one of which was to install "wireless broadband" his words ;) at my son's house or to kick some ass at NTL to get a new appointment to have cable BB installed, we picked
    the latter and yesterday I got in touch with Mr Kemp, 10min later my son got a call from NTL and is at this very moment enjoying the wonders of NTL broadband.

PHEW,...hope that clarifies things :) sorry I ever posted the Fcuking info, folk can be so picky,.. :(:( will think twice next time I hear anything :mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

We don't mean to pick on you, but there is a big difference between Wireless Broadband (as offered by IrishBroadband etc.) and Wifi.

If NTL were moving into Wireless Broadband it would be massive news.

On the other hand NTL offering Wifi gear with their equipment is interesting and good news for new customers, but it certainly isn't ground breaking.

BTW if anyone from NTL is reading this, keep up the good work.

• Advertisement

lensman wrote:
    he seen the post and sent me a PM with offers of help one of which was to install "wireless broadband" his words ;) at my son's house or to kick some ass at NTL to get a new appointment to have cable BB installed, we picked
    the latter and yesterday I got in touch with Mr Kemp, 10min later my son got a call from NTL and is at this very moment enjoying the wonders of NTL broadband.

PHEW,...hope that clarifies things :) sorry I ever posted the Fcuking info, folk can be so picky,.. :(:( will think twice next time I hear anything :mad:
    I don't mean to be picky, tbh my interest was to clarify that someone from ntl is on boards, and I didn't see the post - but if he sent you a PM that explains it :)
    He called it wireless broadband, ha ha shame on him :D having said that iirc Eircom call their wireless router 'wireless broadband' - damned marketing ppl putting spin on techie stuff. On a similar note I heard an ad for IBB on Radio 1 today claiming "8 times faster" broadband - and then they quote their 2Mb upload compared to 256kbps from others. That's the first time I've heard anyone refer to their upload speed. I hope ntl are taking note of that :eek:

Anyway, next time you hear something please do post on :)
    Or Kemp - you do it yourself ;):D

causal

here is a link to other posts on this forum by Matt Kemp

I did check his credentials out when I first got his PM, it could have been anyone taking the P but a call to NTL confirmed that it was genuine.
    Why no PM him with your own inquiries.. :)

Ah nice, thx for referring me to that post :)

causal

Advertisement