Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eczema in Babies, any ideas?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Dipsy

i have got my facts straight. liquid parrafin is used in over 95% of creams sold on the market, so why you would bold that bit, i just don't know.

So, because its sold in 95% of creams its ok?? :confused:

I put it in bold because of your previous comment,
    get your facts straight before saying stuff like that. it's just an aqueous base (about as neutral as it gets)
    its hardly an aqueous base :confused:
    as to SLS, it's one of the reasons i mentioned that everyone is different and should try lots of different creams, as some creams work for certain people, others don't. As an example, if i use E45, the itching and redness increases ten fold within a day. i just can't stand that cream.

Agreed! SLS is the worst ingredient and should never be used on eczema!!

To the OP, research the ingredients in anything you use, it makes sense and you need to look at the root cause of the Eczema too. It could be diet, enviromental, stress related or vaccines among other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Dipsy wrote: »
    So, because its sold in 95% of creams its ok?? :confused:

I put it in bold because of your previous comment, its hardly an aqueous base :confused:

i think you're getting hung up on this parrafin business when there really isn't any need to. it just happens to be cheaper than animal or vegetable oil, but is just as good a product, and a lot easier to work with when it comes to making creams.

as for silcox base, well sorry to say but it is an aqueous base. an aqueous base or cream, is done by mixing 3 things: oil (parrafin)+water+emulsifier (emulsifying wax).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sallystar

As a mum of a son with psoriasis, I have learned not to take and cream or lotion (prescribed or unprescribed) for granted. After 20 odd years of thinking I had no allergies (constitution of an ox I thought!), after applying aqueous cream to my son and rubbing it into my hands I came out in a blistering rash all over my palms.
    I would advise any mum or dad to just use a tiny bit of any product on a small area of their childs skin (and your own!) and leave it for about 12 hours to make sure there is no unpleasant reaction. It worked really well for my son though, thankfully he hasn't had a flare-up for 5+ yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Just to say i had bad Eczema as a baby/toddler that bad that i had no hair on my head ( people asked her what she had done to me they i looked that bad they thought i had been burn in a fire) my mother would wake up every morning to find me covered in blood.

I could not touch water and i was bathed in liquid parafin for 3 years. I get flare ups now and then, nothing major and i can control it with aqueous cream and only rarely i have to go to gps to get a steroid cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fruitbowl

Just had to post here.
    I've got three small children with eczema and it has been a nightmare. So difficult to see them so tormented and unable to get a good nights rest. We've tried every lotion, potion and quack going, been to dermatologists and paediatric consultants, slathered on creams, steroids, antibiotics for infections. Some of it was useless, some of it worked temporarily but no prolonged relief.
    Until that is, someone told us about a simple herbal tincture of liquorice and catnip. Apparently the main problem with eczema is to do with the digestive system. We contacted a herbalist locally who made up the mix for us (a lot cheaper than medical creams) You give 2mls in juice or water 3 times per day. After about a week we saw a difference and they've had major relief since. I know what works for one may not work for another but if you're like us you'll give anything a try if there's hope of relief.
    We use Aveeno Dermexa moisturiser twice a day on them to keep the skin well moisturised (vital) They still have little flare ups when there's any stress on the body i.e. sickness, teething, but nothing like they used to have.
    I'm telling everyone I meet about this as it has brought so much relief to our house. Hopefully it will do the same for more of you:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

fruitbowl wrote: »
    Just had to post here.
    I've got three small children with eczema and it has been a nightmare. So difficult to see them so tormented and unable to get a good nights rest. We've tried every lotion, potion and quack going, been to dermatologists and paediatric consultants, slathered on creams, steroids, antibiotics for infections. Some of it was useless, some of it worked temporarily but no prolonged relief.
    Until that is, someone told us about a simple herbal tincture of liquorice and catnip. Apparently the main problem with eczema is to do with the digestive system. We contacted a herbalist locally who made up the mix for us (a lot cheaper than medical creams) You give 2mls in juice or water 3 times per day. After about a week we saw a difference and they've had major relief since. I know what works for one may not work for another but if you're like us you'll give anything a try if there's hope of relief.
    We use Aveeno Dermexa moisturiser twice a day on them to keep the skin well moisturised (vital) They still have little flare ups when there's any stress on the body i.e. sickness, teething, but nothing like they used to have.
    I'm telling everyone I meet about this as it has brought so much relief to our house. Hopefully it will do the same for more of you:)

Although it's an extreme case, I'll refer you to the death of Gloria Thomas as a warning about eschewing medicine for other treatments. If your doctor prescribed you hydrocortisone and it's working well, I see no reason why you shouldn't listen to their professional advice. If you're worried about what long-term effects it might have, just ask them. They'll know better than members of an internet discussion board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fruitbowl

blubloblu wrote: »
    Although it's an extreme case, I'll refer you to the death of Gloria Thomas as a warning about eschewing medicine for other treatments. If your doctor prescribed you hydrocortisone and it's working well, I see no reason why you shouldn't listen to their professional advice. If you're worried about what long-term effects it might have, just ask them. They'll know better than members of an internet discussion board.

Firstly, thats ridiculous - I hope her parents have been imprisoned for neglect.
    Secondly, it's a mix of two herbs - catnip and liquorice - nothing at all to do with homeopathy.

I have no problem with using steroidal creams - they're great to clear a flare up. An antibiotic is the only thing to clear up an infection caused by the inevitable scratching. Up till recenlty I felt we were single-handedly keeping their manufacturers in business, not to mention the cost of all the GP visits (no medical card). They work well but only as a short-term solution in our case.
    The point I'm trying to make is that since using the mix we haven't needed hc creams or antibiotics because the eczema has been controlled. If you have a child with eczema you'll know that you'll try anything to get some relief for your child. I know what works for one may not work for another and I know only too well how crushing it is to try something that someone else swears by only to discover it doesn't work for you. Each parent is responsible for the well being of their own child. Make your own decision. We're just so relieved to have found something that works for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭alrightcuz

i know this is an old post but incase someone is looking for advice, my son had awful skin he would itch it till it would bleed the doctor said it was eczima , he was one so we were put on the waiting list to see a skin doctor, at night he would have gloves cellotaped to his hands,,, it was awful after 8 months we had enogh we took him to a see a doctor in chinese medicine he cut some of his hair off sent it to be tested came back a week later with a list of things his allergic to the 3 big things were wheat,banannas,orange juice now he couldnt say what kind of a reaction this would cause because everyone is different some get stomach pains some get headaches etc long story short we cut the three of these from his diet an his skin is brillant no more itching no more bleeding ,,,,,, and im still waiting for the skin doctors appointment the test cost 90 euro was worth every penny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Hey I have a suggestion for those who have tried it all and nothing works...coconut oil........it's between €5 to €10 euro for a jar and lasts forever. I got a terrible allergic reaction to Crocs which was almost like a chemical burn, It tried pretty much everything but coconut oil was the only thing that worked, It's anti fungal and anti bacterial so you can put some on and wrap the area in cling film, I have recommended it to so many people with eczema , it is the business for clearing up nappy rash too and you can even cook with it and eat it and it's very good for you. If you don't find it helps eczema (and I reckon you will) you will always be able to find another use for it, you can get it in most health shops or Asian food shops and make sure you get the virgin coconut oil (there's also extra virgin coconut oil but that is the exact same as the virgin so don't be fooled into paying more.)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 millie81

alrightcuz wrote: »
    i know this is an old post but incase someone is looking for advice, my son had awful skin he would itch it till it would bleed the doctor said it was eczima , he was one so we were put on the waiting list to see a skin doctor, at night he would have gloves cellotaped to his hands,,, it was awful after 8 months we had enogh we took him to a see a doctor in chinese medicine he cut some of his hair off sent it to be tested came back a week later with a list of things his allergic to the 3 big things were wheat,banannas,orange juice now he couldnt say what kind of a reaction this would cause because everyone is different some get stomach pains some get headaches etc long story short we cut the three of these from his diet an his skin is brillant no more itching no more bleeding ,,,,,, and im still waiting for the skin doctors appointment the test cost 90 euro was worth every penny

Im resurrecting this thread as I too have a baby with bad ezcema-so bad bad that her skin has gotten infected on occasion from scratching and we've had to get antibiotics to clear it up. Ive tried every loction and potion, doctor etc I know. As I result Id be very interested to hear if anyone else used Chinese medicine as per the post below? Its something I havent tried yet! Many thanks for your help

• Advertisement
Advertisement