Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VI and pressure testing

• 26-04-2005 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Does anyone know what is required to be able to do VI and pressure testing and get the stickers when it is done?

We have quite a few tanks coming up for testing next year and are looking for ways to get away from the usual old chancers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I've had 2 tanks fail in Flagship. One tank had its threads fail and the other had its valve fail. Both in my untrained opinion were in perfect condition.

Then on a brand new cylinder from the UK they very nearly failed it. Claimed another turn on the no go valve and it would have failed.

On the other hand i've seen tanks knocking about that look like they came from WW1.

It all seems a bit hit and miss, and being cynical, perhaps a means of revenue generation.

TBH i don't really know scania. I have found first stage to be above board with they dealings so far. I know they do cylinder testing for a guy i used to dive with who started a club. I would say ring them up and try to drive the price down with eh bulk order.

Otherwise get creative with a scanner and a laser printer. After all a VI is just look inside for corrosion, i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Scania

Last time I had my tanks tested the shop claimed one of my tanks was very rusty and you could not read the text on the neck.

First of all of my three tanks it was the only one which hade text which could be read,
    but best of all, there was no way it could be rusty, it is aluminium!

Who is First stage? Haven't heard of them.

The VI is easy, but the presure test is a bit more complicated. To get the stickers you have to prove to CFT that you are set up for testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Miss Polaris

Without brining any operator into disrepute - for Cylinder testing in Ireland and UK and the training being recognised curently by CFT and others is ASSET http://www.scubatechnician.com/

http://www.scubatechnician.com/Main/Grades/CylTstTc.htm

CFT approval will then allow you to use their stickers on tanks (open to clarification on this)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gjim

As a matter of interest, how much does a VI cost? I'm considering buying a secondhand tank from a friend. It would be due a VI in a couple of months and I'd like to work out whether I'm actually saving all that much over buying new.

• Advertisement

I got hit with a mail say it was 30 euronians.... in the last week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭dublinbay

Its only your life that depends on the tanks.................,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Scania

Pity the diveshops do not have much concern for our lives or they would do a proper service!
    Their only concern is to get our money!

Scania wrote:
    Pity the diveshops do not have much concern for our lives or they would do a proper service!
    Their only concern is to get our money!
    Strange that.....when I was selling kit 3 years ago at trade prices no one would buy it????????? Put up the price.....hey presto, kit sold.
    Dive shops have overheads to consider, and yes they can be expensive. But how much is a VI and O2 clean? c. €80.00 for both. Spread over 12 months its c. €7 per month. You have probably spent money on kit that is not needed quicker than you would pay for an inspection that could possibly save your life.
    All in all, its your call. Pay the money or not, but consider this.......if it was a family member who got a nitrox fill from someone who didnt mind the tank was out of service and an accident occurred would you say "ah sure they were bang on, they didnt insist on spending money to certify tank. In fact, lets not mention it as they were not ripping us off"
    In a pigs eye you would. Whats that smell........ah......coffee

Well i think what scania is getting at is that he had a reg serviced by a well known dive shop here in dublin and the reg came back in not good shape.

i'm sure you read the thread but its here anyway.

BTW, i bought kit off you at trade... and loving it mate :D:D:D

<edit>
    Call me cynical, but i'm always worried that a service centre will fail a tank in the hope they will get both the VI/Hydro test charge AND the sale of a new tank.
    </edit>

• Advertisement

Peace wrote:
    Well i think what scania is getting at is that he had a reg serviced by a well known dive shop here in dublin and the reg came back in not good shape.

Didnt read it. If a shop f**** up a job demand they fix it or demand they send it to the manufacturer to fix! Whats the problem? As for VI and O2 ....he can get it done or not get it done, again whats the problem? If he goes to a shop they WILL charge him. Go get certified as an IDEST technician and oxygen service technician and the problem will go away. What I dont get is the bellyaching about this.
    Its simple:
    If you want to decant O2 into a tank it HAS to be in O2 service. No shop worth its salt would let its employees do otherwise. Same with VI stickers.
    Industry standards for compressed gas containers state a 2 1/2 year visual and 5 year hydrostatic tests. Thats EU standard for ALL tanks, not just scuba.
    So Scania has a choice; buy a compressor or get his tanks VIPPED.

I agree with your points dublinbay...

But isn't there some sort of mumouring on the grape vine about the new Ali tanks being failed due to an old testing procedure...

This is the only reason i'd be aprehensive about getting my tanks tested. i have no worries about the steels... if the fail, i'll just buy a rebreather!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Peace wrote:
    i'll just buy a rebreather!

When you're robbing the bank gimme a bell if you need a hand. I'd fancy one o dem fancy malarkies too!

(BTW - I'm fairly sure the tanks on the rebreather are subject to the same tests! - may need to rob a Securicor truck too!)

Peace wrote:
    I agree with your points dublinbay...

But isn't there some sort of mumouring on the grape vine about the new Ali tanks being failed due to an old testing procedure...

Kevin, as you know I have four 7 ltr alis, none failed yet, If anyone buys a new ali its not due VIP until 2 1/2 years after manufacture date as with steels. If it fails VIP first time out, I would return it to shop with a photo copy of VIP receipt and purchase receipt, although I can see why the paranoia is setting in as certain dive shops encourage 7 ltr steels for stages. Utter strokery, but thats another thread.
    Jack

dublinbay wrote:
    Kevin, as you know I have four 7 ltr alis, none failed yet, If anyone buys a new ali its not due VIP until 2 1/2 years after manufacture date as with steels. If it fails VIP first time out, I would return it to shop with a photo copy of VIP receipt and purchase receipt, although I can see why the paranoia is setting in as certain dive shops encourage 7 ltr steels for stages. Utter strokery, but thats another thread.
    Jack

Who are you getting them tested by?

Also, is there a good reason dive ops are peddling steel 7's rather than ali's?

You're right about the steel 7's, strokealicious! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Peace wrote:

I assumed Jack could test them himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭nitroboy

what good would it do going back to the shop with a failed bottle, a photocopy of a vip receipt and your purchase receipt. if the bottle has failed, toughluck, as far as the shop is concerned you could have been doing anything with the bottle.

nitroboy wrote:
    what good would it do going back to the shop with a failed bottle, a photocopy of a vip receipt and your purchase receipt. if the bottle has failed, toughluck, as far as the shop is concerned you could have been doing anything with the bottle.
    Yes indeed, like taken a hammer to it,dropped it off a cliff,put it in the fire ....
    If a tank is NEW it carries certain guarantees i.e. IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO FAIL ITS FIRST VIP or hydro for that matter if it was filled properly and cared for. If this is the case as with other goods, insist on it being replaced or contact Consumer Advisory ppl. to complain.
    Lambay diving do my VI`s . One of my tanks is an older ali and no problems, but then I`m anal when it comes to my diving kit. Its not as though I can discard my kit in water whenever the mood takes me.
    Jack

Peace wrote:

Also, is there a good reason dive ops are peddling steel 7's rather than ali's?

You're right about the steel 7's, strokealicious! :p

Steel 7`s are a throwback from the "Monkey see,monkey do" school of diving. They are negative in water,pendulous in water,divers drop weight when wearing them and in general are a POS .I GAVE MY 1 AND ONLY 7 STEEL AWAY FREE GRATIS AND FOR NOTHING. :)
    The shops are pushing them for a few reasons
    1) they can buy them cheaper
    2)if you buy them chances are you`ll buy a F.OFF double bladder super duper bungied wing ( another blank IMHO)
    3)The guy selling them probably uses them and cant acknowledge his mistake
    4)the guy selling them is at best uninformed, at worst an utter stroke .
    This is a general Q.....
    Why do divers buy kit to solve problems that should not exist to begin with??????
    If you get the right kit starting off, it all becomes SO much simpler.

Advertisement