Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband In the country!

• 26-04-2005 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

I am living in the country (Tipperary) and out of the relms of the high-speed cable broadband network (I think).

Does anyone know what other options are out there for broadband to a single house (not business)which is cheap and reliable? Most likely via satellite....

Slow access is making me :(

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Just to let you know all the p-o-r-n has been deleted off the internet so you might as well stick with dialup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Eh... cheers for that "The General".........

.....but I'm still interested in getting broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Hey there Peter B, Im from TIpperary aswell and am in the exact same situation as you. I am exploring satellite broadband at the moment aswell but it certainly isn't easy in getting it set up.

Where in Tipp are you based?

I'm based in the sticks near enough to Templemore. Heard some info about a company called Astra (I think that's what its called). I understand it only does business connections, eg €99 a month. Looking for something cheaper.

Surely everyone round the country has the same problem who is not in the reach of broadband. They just sticking with dial-up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

My geography of Tipp isnt the best but Chorus Broadband do Thurles and Clonmel anyway, or so the legend goes.

EDIT: as Far as I know Astra is the chain of sats up there into the blue, their Irish sat BB provider is This Lot

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Have you checked out Premier Broadband or FWI?

www.premierbroadband.net
    www.fwi.ie

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I really feel bad for you, it must suck to listen to people in Dublin complain about NTL's 3m products not having a faster upload speed and yet you would be happy with anything.

As OscarBravo said you should try the Wireless operators first. Satellite should really only be your last option if you can't get anything else.

http://www.mediasat.ie/ and http://broadband.digiweb.ie/
    are two satellite providers in Ireland, but they are very expensive.

Im based outside Nenagh in a small townsland which has little or no hope of seeing broadband in the next 3 years and with me only living in a small rural community - Im not going to get enough people interested in getting a community scheme set up, that is why I think I will have to go the Sat Broadband route although as I said it seems to be alot of trouble and expense. I don't mind the expense but I think you need a science degree along with a Phd to align the dish etc.

Peter B, check out this link from there aswell:

Don't know if it will help, but sure give it a go!

http://www.tipperarywan.org/forums/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Maxwell wrote:
    Im based outside Nenagh in a small townsland which has little or no hope of seeing broadband in the next 3 years and with me only living in a small rural community - Im not going to get enough people interested in getting a community scheme set up, that is why I think I will have to go the Sat Broadband route although as I said it seems to be alot of trouble and expense. I don't mind the expense but I think you need a science degree along with a Phd to align the dish etc.

pm sent

jbkenn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

This company here www.premierbb.ie says on their site that they cover the country wirelessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I don't mind the expense but I think you need a science degree along with a Phd to align the dish etc.
    You don't need a Phd but having said that, satellite broadband is rubbish. Your better off contacting the wireless operators mentioned already. Otherwise, try irishwan or get involved in the establishment of a Group Broadband Scheme.

Hey Maxwell - You seem to be in a similar situation as me. Interesting they say satellite is crap. That seems to be the only option for me anyway. Living out in the sticks we have old copper wires which we were told won't be able to support broadband.

How crap is satellite anyway? Reckon I'll just try and ring all the companies who do broadband in my area from www.broadband.gov.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

you could move ... troll ... troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

satellite is good if latency doesnt affect what you need it for ( meaning non-real time applications ) .

Its good if its the only, and i mean only option for you,
    Its good if you move house alot.

Its crap, if there is any wireless/xDSL/cable schemes available to you

Advertisement