Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ah

Options
  • 26-04-2005 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

out of curiousity whats the deal with all the ****ing spam in AH. It just keeps appearing. Fu.cking annoying if you ask me. :o
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah, down with that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Ok i also well are that this is in someway spam. but AH is getting pretty ridiculous now

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Spam spam, or advertising spam?

What do you propose is done about it?

Link me to an example of this spam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭|Referee|

Theres that guy again (Seamas) he keeps popping up in After hours and ruining sites by closing them, can we stop him, how does he do it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

yeah, and dave mcsavage too.....

if your talking about ad spam support my thread to have referral sites added to the swera filter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

seamus closes entire websites now? Bloody hell, he must have some influence with the World Internet Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

seamus closes entire websites now? Bloody hell, he must have some influence with the World Internet Council.
    he keeps disconncting my wireless midpost aswell.

I did some early construction work on the Global Interweb Superhighway System. They owe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

That's why there was an anti-seamus protest last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I bet he's the jvp of Super-Mega-Hyper-Globonet aswell.

Seriously though, there are two options here:

1. I toughen the current "Moving Threads" stance, and instead of moving threads, they get locked, and the starter banned for a week. If it's not an obviously misposted thread, or the person is a newbie, there'll be leeway.

2. I get even tougher and delete all misposted, completely pointless, or sexual-oriented threads on sight, without warning, and the starter gets banned for a week.

God, I'd love to see the Feedback threads for either of those.

Honestly, if you can think of a better way, I'm all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Mebbe if a thread is deemed 'pointless' like the word association or now locked thread killer one, anything you post in it doesn't increase your post count? That way people who really enjoy it wouldn't mind terribly, and those just doing it to increase post count will get bored and wander off.

Maybe you can only apply that to a whole forum though, a la cuckoos nest/thunderdome.

Shabadu wrote:
    Mebbe if a thread is deemed 'pointless' like the word association or now locked thread killer one, anything you post in it doesn't increase your post count? That way people who really enjoy it wouldn't mind terribly, and those just doing it to increase post count will get bored and wander off.
    If they don't suit the Nest or the Thunderdome, I can throw them in the Bin, where people can still post, but it doesn't add to their postcount.

The word association isn't that pointless. Spammy, yes, but it is a game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Afair the bin is only postable for mods.

I'd go for option 1 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

AH just seems to have become Cuckoo's Nest mark 2. Not that it was ever brimming with deep, insightful threads - but recently, it's really gone to crap!

BuffyBot wrote:
    AH just seems to have become Cuckoo's Nest mark 2. Not that it was ever brimming with deep, insightful threads - but recently, it's really gone to crap!
    Again, suggestions?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Encourage the thread rating system. If it goes below a certain level, bin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

How about the rest of us keep linking to where the thread should have been started, and hopefully people will get the idea. For example, post something like
    " Humour Board " in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, lets take this up a level rather than catagorising threads.

what is the after hours forum for?
    when it was first started, it was for any threads that were not to do with any of the other 3 or 4 forums that had just been started.

in other words, it was actually for all the crappy rubbishy off topic, full of crap shte that people wanted to post. in a way, it still is to this day.

i think you need to think on what it is that the forum is about, and from there, start thinking about what you deem an acceptable thread to have on there.

as far as im concerned, after hours is pretty much the melting pot of generaly rants, raves and ridiculousness, and if it isnt defiantely specific to another forum, should stay there. its high volume, low quality stuff. only things i would really lock are spamming, advertising and and anti social behaviour such insulting or threatening behaviour. its the forum of off-topic posting, of trolling, or stupid polls, and silly threads.
    boards needs it, otherwise it starts to seep into other areas, and quiet frankly, sometimes its even entertaining and fun.

id actually be more leniant than seamus, but i would certainly let the world know that this is humanity at its drunken silliest :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A while back After Hours started getting notions above its station and requested a lackey be brought in to deal with the sillier threads it was being peppered with, from whence sprung The Cuckoo's Nest. The thing is, silliness was made a pre-requisite for posts in TCN, on pain of locking/deletion/recycling and moderators were appointed to maintain a strict level of absurdity, which probably seemed a good idea at the time, but is a bit of a paradox. As a result, TCN has a smallish core of regular posters and is more a mixture of Pear Tree House (or something, I've never been there), Creative Writing and the Amp Appreciation society (founder and chairman : amp) so the pointless run-off from AH has really nowhere left to go and so stays put, gets quickly shuffled to PI and the Recycle Bin or gets locked. Without any real charter, it's the obvious place for crap threads to appear. This wouldn't be an issue if there were simply more active participants posting decent threads in AH (the Mammy's a bisexual thread is a good example) and ignoring the dregs, letting it slip off into second-page obscurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Again, suggestions

Bin, ban, or lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Lock, warn/ban, bin.

Thanks pickarooney.

The vibe I seem to be getting from everyone now, is that if it's a ****e thread (though not pointless enough to be binned) getting too much attention, then I should "make" it die?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

seamus, you should do whatever you and your fellow moderators feel is fitting for the forum.

My fellow moderators will like what I tell them to like!

Except Monty, he scares me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

WWM and Pickarooney seem to have summed up my opinions on AH tbh. I can see why some of the sexual stuff is causing the mods problems but stuff like the threadkiller or word association game seem to be perfectly on-topic for AH to me.

At present it seems that if some people choose to look down on a thread rather than simply ignore it, it's getting binned or shunted off to another forum where it's arguably MORE off-topic. Maybe a revision of the charter in Cuckoos nest to accept anything remotely silly instead of having to be absolutely absurd? (tbh I never read the CN so I've no idea what levels of absurdity it's currently at but I could hazard a guess knowing some of those that post there).

In After Hours (and most other forums tbh) locking or binning threads should be a last resort, used only for threads that are way off-topic for that forum (where there is no forum where it could possibly be on-topic), are border-line (or downright) illegal or are advertising/pimpage etc. Binning a thread because you think it's silly is, tbh, downright silly. If it's that nuts, move it to the Cuckoos nest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Surely if there's a problem with a thread, but the is getting posts & isn't offensive it should be moved to an appropriate forum or the mod could request (or demand) that it be brought private?
    If it's not recieving posts, it'll just fade into the distance naturally.

If it's a spammy thread, but people are obviously interested, it'll get moved to CN - e.g. Poster above you thread, Word Association.

• Advertisement
Advertisement