Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firefly Serenity trailer

• 26-04-2005 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Calling all firefly fans...

Serenity Trailer www.apple.com/trailers :D

Oh baby is all I can say.

If you haven't heard of firefly please still check this tailer out...

Roll on October 4th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Oh, man, oh, man... Cheers for the link. Knew this trailer was due out soon, but was
    a nice surprise.

So amazing to see new footage from what was *the* finest cancelled show in history.

I agree, anyone who hasn't seen this show needs to rent/borrow/buy the DVDs
    and gorge before the movie comes out in October.

River really looks like she's come into her own at last.

I know Joss Whedon has said the film will be accessible to even those who didn't watch the show, but I hope he'll still try and tie up some of the loose ends from the series in the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ahgkwqbhklwqhklbhwlkhnew;nbje

Sorry, that was the result of my drool all over my keyboard.

Oh baby, that trailer looks sweet. I liked Firefly, but this just looks so much more slick and hi-octane while retaining the charm I loved about Firefly.
    I know Joss Whedon has said the film will be accessible to even those who didn't watch the show, but I hope he'll still try and tie up some of the loose ends from the series in the movie.

I'm pretty confident Josh Whedon will accomplish both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Hopefully we just might a 2nd season out of it as well as a good film...

uberpixie wrote:
    Hopefully we just might a 2nd season out of it as well as a good film...

Extremely doubtful. If the Serenity film is a success, the next step will be a trilogy of films. From the reports I've been hearing, Josh Whedon is pretty much disillusioned with TV at the moment.

Stark wrote:
    Extremely doubtful. If the Serenity film is a success, the next step will be a trilogy of films. From the reports I've been hearing, Josh Whedon is pretty much disillusioned with TV at the moment.

Wouldn't blame him much after what fox did tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think I'm the only person that's not excited about Serenity. Firefly was a good show, and as far as first seasons go, it was shockingly good, but I don't like the idea of transposing a TV series to film, simply because they're nearly seperate a medium altogether.

Lets put it this way... Imagine if you will Babylon 5 was canned after season 1, and instead of the extraordinary epic plot that evolved over the next 3 seasons, all we got is a movie (and the promise of two more if the first was a success). Christ, that would've been utterly appalling.

Firefly striked me as something that had a much bigger story to tell, and there were loads of plotlines hinted at, and seed of sub-plots dropped in there, so I imagine if it had been given a proper run it couldn't evolved into something far greater.

I think the movie will be a very poor substitute for continuing the show. Just look at how much they tried to cram into Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars, and allthough it was a very good mini-series, it kinda felt like nothing more than a fleeting glace at what could have been. I don't think anyone would disagree that it was very rushed altogether.

So personally, I'm not looking farward to Serenity. It'll be a prick-tease at best.

I think the movie will be a very poor substitute for continuing the show. Just look at how much they tried to cram into Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars, and allthough it was a very good mini-series, it kinda felt like nothing more than a fleeting glace at what could have been. I don't think anyone would disagree that it was very rushed altogether.

I can most definitely agree with that, good as it was, it was no Season 5 :(

I'm looking at Serenity in the same way as I looked at Peacekeeper Wars though: It's better than nothing. A film can also be good in the sense of "No more pissing about, let's shift this baby into overdrive". I don't think Peacekeepr Wars did that well - It was trying to portray an gruelling epic war that would push the characters to the limit, something that would have been portrayed well over the course of a season, but in the space of 3 hours, the "war" seemed like a hissy fit.

Serenity looks like it could be more of a "Star Wars" or "Lord of the Rings" though, an epic in the space of a trilogy of films (I think the trilogy is quite likely). They don't have as much backstory to tie up as Farscape did, so Whedon has more freedom to employ a traditional film-telling model. And I'd line up to see "Serenity" before I line up to see "Star Wars III: Revenge of the Shith" for definite.

I think I'm the only person that's not excited about Serenity. Firefly was a good show, and as far as first seasons go, it was shockingly good, but I don't like the idea of transposing a TV series to film, simply because they're nearly seperate a medium altogether.

Lets put it this way... Imagine if you will Babylon 5 was canned after season 1, and instead of the extraordinary epic plot that evolved over the next 3 seasons, all we got is a movie (and the promise of two more if the first was a success). Christ, that would've been utterly appalling.

Firefly striked me as something that had a much bigger story to tell, and there were loads of plotlines hinted at, and seed of sub-plots dropped in there, so I imagine if it had been given a proper run it couldn't evolved into something far greater.

So personally, I'm not looking farward to Serenity. It'll be a prick-tease at best.

fair point.

What would worry me from the trailer is that the non ass kicking members of the crew got very little screen time in that trailer i.e. the doc, preacher and kalee.

As the film is going to be more actiony than the tv show are some of the crew going to be side lined in the film?

Whatever which way i will be going to see it. I hope it will be good.

But in all honesty I wish it was a 2nd series they were shooting not a film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gaijin

Ok, I kinda see where you are coming from.
    I would rather see what a few seasons on tv could produce than films but fox made sure we wouldn't get that. Also film has its advantages too.

I'd rather the films (notice i say filmS ;) ) than nothing!

Gaijin wrote:
    Ok, I kinda see where you are coming from.
    I would rather see what a few seasons on tv could produce than films but fox made sure we wouldn't get that. Also film has its advantages too.

I'd rather the films (notice i say filmS ;) ) than nothing!

Well yeah.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I have to say I think people may be right in saying that some of the less "involved" crew members dont look to get much screen time. Looking though the trailer, I dont see Book in it anywhere. However I always found Jane to be one of the best in it. I'm glad he seems to get some good screen time. The movie it's self looks class. I cant wait to see it. I've been waiting since they first said they where thinking about making it. I loved the TV series and hope they do it a good justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Cant wait for this. firefly was one of my favourite things on TV. I bought the box set on blahdvd the other day for 19 Euro! Amazing, seemingly Joss has signed on for 3 Firefly movies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

dammit the movies arent loading for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

my stupid company doesnt have quicktime installed, damn them thinking of quiting now! :)

hope its good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Almarsáre

sutty wrote:
    I have to say I think people may be right in saying that some of the less "involved" crew members dont look to get much screen time. Looking though the trailer, I dont see Book in it anywhere.

I don't think we need to worry about these characters not getting enough screen time. The purpose of the trailer is to sell it to those very silly people who have not yet discovered the TV show. In order to do that they have to show the exciting action shots. In saying that, I've heard that there is one character whos part has been reduced due to other commitments when they were filming. I fear this may be Alan Tudyk (Wash) as he was in alot of movies around the time they were in production.

By the way Gaijin, where did you hear it was to be released here on October 4th. imdb have it listed as 4th November.

I wish I was one of the lucky Americans getting to watch it on May 5th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

who are they and how can i convince them?

ps like the sig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

can someone give me the lowdown on why firefly was cancelled (never saw the show despite reading about it numerous times)

bombidol wrote:
    I bought the box set on blahdvd the other day for 19 Euro!

You serious? I checked today and it was €43. I couldn't afford to pay €43 for DVDs at the moment, but I'd gladly shell out €19 for it.

Edit: Just looked up sendit.com and it's £12.99 (approx €19), it's £14.99 off play.com. An absolute bargain :)

madrab wrote:
    who are they and how can i convince them?

ps like the sig

Thanks madrab.

Serenity is playing in 10 theatres in 10 american cities on May 5th. Seattle, Austin, Sacramento, Boston, Altanta, Chicago, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Denver, The Portland of Oregon. Thi tickets went on sale for $10 and are already completely sold out. Joss posted the info at the browncoats boards. I'm so horribly jealous.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    can someone give me the lowdown on why firefly was cancelled (never saw the show despite reading about it numerous times)

The show was cancelled because of a combination of the following reasons.
    1. It was aired in the Friday night death slot
    2. The episodes were aired out of order. The pilot aired last
    3. The episodes were interupted for sports events
    4. The executives didn't understand it.

which all sums up in to FOX TV are completely stupid.

You should check out the book Finding Serenity. I got it last week and its really good.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1932100431/qid=1114610973/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-7205341-4167353

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gaijin

I don't think we need to worry about these characters not getting enough screen time. The purpose of the trailer is to sell it to those very silly people who have not yet discovered the TV show. In order to do that they have to show the exciting action shots. In saying that, I've heard that there is one character whos part has been reduced due to other commitments when they were filming. I fear this may be Alan Tudyk (Wash) as he was in alot of movies around the time they were in production.

By the way Gaijin, where did you hear it was to be released here on October 4th. imdb have it listed as 4th November.

As far as I know it was bumped up to be closer to the september US release. Heard about it on the browncoats message board!

http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/serenity/

Ya gots to be a member to read the boards...well worth signing up to.

Whats this about test screening in may??? Surely it cant be finished in post-production?
    Is it still going out in Sep???
    Why are there people getting to see it 5/6 months before me???!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Just saw it there.

Looking pretty good. I'm looking forward to it.

Gaijin wrote:
    As far as I know it was bumped up to be closer to the september US release. Heard about it on the browncoats message board!

http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/serenity/

Ya gots to be a member to read the boards...well worth signing up to.

Whats this about test screening in may??? Surely it cant be finished in post-production?
    Is it still going out in Sep???
    Why are there people getting to see it 5/6 months before me???!!!

How did I miss that post. That has made my day. A month less of waiting.

The original release date for the movie was April 30th so while its not completely finished, its pretty much done. Joss gives the reason for the May 5th screenings as follows.
    You probably have some questions. How is this possible? What cities exactly will it be in? What are these changes my body is going through? All valid. It's possible because some clown put a bunch of Universal execs in a theater full of Browncoats and dude, they came out SWEATING, they never seen energy like that. They loved it, and even though they were already wicked supportive of the movie (see: earlier posts re: we're making the movie) they simply weren't ready for you guys. When I whinged on about pushing the date and everyone here was posting about "what do we do till September", they agreed to let me sneak it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Stark wrote:
    And I'd line up to see "Serenity" before I line up to see "Star Wars III: Revenge of the Shith" for definite.

Couldn't agree more. Much as I love Star Wars, the new trilogy has been disappointing for me. Firefly managed to create a much stronger resonance with me on TV in 15 episodes than the new Star Wars movies ever could.

Which just goes to show, it's all about characters and story. I agree with Almarsáre that the reason characters aren't given a wider profile in the trailer is because it's not selling those, it's selling the action elements of the movie. I do believe Whedon is sensible enough to ensure all of the characters we love have a decent amount of screen time.

Would prefer a second series to more movies if the option was available - there are just some things TV does *better*, like the slowly-expanding arcs discussed above, but given that it's movies or nothing - and that the Serenity trailer is looking like a pretty slick production - I'd gladly take it.

Cheers for the book link above, Almarsáre - looks excellent. Have just put in an order for that, and a €19 second set of the DVD. (Have a region 1 one and although there's no difference between the two, at that price it'd make a pretty cool present for someone down the line.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I actually bothered to download the trailer now. I must say, although I'm reserving judgement untill I've seen it, I'm hoping to eat my own words by then. ;)

Advertisement