Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up wireless (newbie)

• 26-04-2005 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Hey wanna set up a wireless network at home for 3 computers. Each have different OS. WinXP, Win 98, Win 95.

Is it possible to network up these efficiently or will the different OS screw everything up. Maybe if I sort out broadband (through satellite) I wouldn't mind having that wireless also so it can be used by all 3 computers.

What do I need? Is this all too messy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Flick through old threads here and you should find all the answers you seek.

Briefly:
    Those OS's are no problem.
    Google on Linksys WRT54G for an example of what to use for a wireless home network.
    Your broadband into your house can be any* of Cable, DSL, Wireless, Satellite.

hth,
    causal

*EDIT - assuming they are available in your area :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Thanks very much causal, have had a good look at the Linksys WRT54G

A friend of mine has the Netgear WGT634U.

Not sure which? Can you/anyone recommend one ahead of the other?

The Netgear WGT634U has a usb slot allowing a hard drive, use pen to be connected allowing all networked computers to access it.
    The Linksys WRT54G can has 4 ethernet posts, one which could be connected to a networked printer.

Is there any limit on the number of computers (wireless) networked?

The network provisionally will just be used for file sharing (until I get broadband (if ever) ). How is this done with 3 different operating systems, or is there a server type setup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Peter B wrote:
    The network provisionally will just be used for file sharing (until I get broadband (if ever) ). How is this done with 3 different operating systems, or is there a server type setup?
    The file sharing you can enable on your LAN by using Microsoft file and printer sharing in your network settings on each computer. Even though you have 3 differents OS's (95,98,XP) they are all Microsoft and all have 'file and printer sharing'.
    Note that only the later versions of Win95 had USB support, so if you are going wireless you may not be able to get a wireless usb dongle for it - but you could get a normal PCI-slot wireless receiver instead.

In relation to recommending a wireless router: tbh I don't use wifi so I can't tell you which is best/better :o . I have read many good reports on boards about the linksys WRT54G that is why it's name stuck in my head.

The limit on the number of wireless PC's/network devices you can have on the WRT54G is probably at least (but possibly more than) 40.
    I say this because the User Guide page 29 provides 40 boxes for Wireless MAC Address Filter List. It's not a certain way to determine the limit, but it gives a rough idea.

hth,
    causal

Advertisement