Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D is driving me nuts

Options
  • 26-04-2005 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

This board is very close to flying out the window. I've been at it for about a week now. In a nutshell, it will not work. I have the board out on top of the padding it came with on a wooden table top. I have an Antec NeoPower 480W ATX 2.0 hooked up to it (24 pin, 4 pin, molex and floppy 4-pin all connected to board). I have 1 stick of Mushkin PC3200 512mb Level 1 CL2 in Dimm 2. I have also tried a different PC2100 stick. I have my new Winnie 3500+ with an XP-90 on top with a Zalman 92mm fan on that. When I plug in the mains to the PSU, all I get are 2 amber lit led lights - the DRAM Power led and the Standby Power LED. That's it! Nothing, nada. I press the EZ Touch power button and nothing happens. I had this all hooked up in the case with everything else but same results. I've tried reading the manual a few times, tried google and a load of different forums including this one. Nothing. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

I have heard cases of this board being shipped damaged not because of the weak packaging but something to do with the way it is packaged, something about the sound card causing damage to the board. If i was you i would send it in for a replacment, unless you can resolve this problem before the warranty is over.

You say the chip is brand new , try taking this out and see if the board will boot. This will eliminate the chip from being faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Im sure you do, but you have the four pin connector pluged into your motherboard ? i c you have the 24pin pluged in. Friend was having same problem and then found out he forgot the 4pin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

BadCharlie wrote:
    Im sure you do, but you have the four pin connector pluged into your motherboard ? i c you have the 24pin pluged in. Friend was having same problem and then found out he forgot the 4pin!!
    All 4 power connector's are plugged in as in my 1st post

Optikus wrote:
    You say the chip is brand new , try taking this out and see if the board will boot. This will eliminate the chip from being faulty.
    Gonna try that now. XP-90 is not as easy to get off as it is to put on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭DirtyHarry

try taking off a XP120 :(

im waiting for my DFI nF4 Ultra board.......i hope mine will work with no probs....

to rule out ram (porbably isnt your ram but no harm) memtest it.

EDIT try it in another rig as urs wont post......

Otherwise test cpu and then if its not the cpu / ram / etc.....its the board.

Cheers

Optikus wrote:
    Just took the cpu out. Still the same reaction. Only the 2 amber/yellow leds are coming on. No fans spinning and no sign of any other power going through the motherboard. I'm still not sure whether it's the motherboard or PSU but I'm about 90% sure it's the motherboard. Now, I'll probably have to RMA it to JES in Germany. Gonna take ages and all my components are all over the kitchen table and counter!

DirtyHarry wrote:
    try taking off a XP120 :(

im waiting for my DFI nF4 Ultra board.......i hope mine will work with no probs....

to rule out ram (porbably isnt your ram but no harm) memtest it.

Otherwise test cpu and then if its not the cpu / ram / etc.....its the board.

Cheers
    I'll try out my ram tomorrow in another pc but as I said, I tried some other ddr in it. I tried using my older Antec 380W but that gave no power to the motherboard at all as in no leds lit up. Looks like the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Did you go trought the manual for the jumper settings?
    I remember i had to set 1 or 2 when i was doing my build.
    Worht checking up. Sending to jes takes a long time, i think you can send it directlly to dfi to (possibly read it on www.dfi-street.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

i was recommended to buy this mobo... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Sounds like the same problem I was having a month or two ago with an Ultra X-Connect PSU. The lights are on but theres nobody home. The PSU was shot - although I'm still waiting for actual confirmation form Ultra. Do you have another PSU to try it with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

aaf i have a PSU tester so if you want to try it out plus as you know i have the same mobo if your over near the house over the next few as im of work so if you want to try out some of mine in some of yours ...no probs ....let me know

i was recommended to buy this mobo... :(

Don't be put off by one persons problem with this board. Alot of people have it and have experienced no probs. Its a very good board one of the best out atm.. in fact theres one on its way to me from germany right now.

dubdvd wrote:
    aaf i have a PSU tester so if you want to try it out plus as you know i have the same mobo if your over near the house over the next few as im of work so if you want to try out some of mine in some of yours ...no probs ....let me know
    Might take you up on that offer. I'll see if there's any more advice here first.
    jozi wrote:
    Did you go trought the manual for the jumper settings?
    I remember i had to set 1 or 2 when i was doing my build.
    Worht checking up. Sending to jes takes a long time, i think you can send it directlly to dfi to (possibly read it on www.dfi-street.com)
    I've spent a lot of time on dfi-street. Nothing similar to my problem. I have tried changing the the USB jumpers to no effect. I also changed the speaker jumper and I have reset the CMOS jumper a few times and taken out the CMOS battery. Are there any other jumpers that need setting? The manual shows where everything is but doesn't say what exactly needs to be connected. Stumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Make sure the DIMM jumper is at the default setting (not 4v). Also make sure the SLI jumpers are in default positions (1-2 I think).

Did you try the RAM in all slots. I think only one stick works better in slot 1, but I can't be sure.
    Have you posted on DFI-Street, I don't see a similar thread.
    When you reset the CMOS there is a special way you can do it, the jumper must be left in the reset position for at least 10 mins, and I would turn the power on while the jumper is in that position too.
    Trying to think of any caveats that I came across. I'll post here if I remember anything

Don't throw it out, the board is worth it in the end, believe me ;)

WizZard wrote:
    Make sure the DIMM jumper is at the default setting (not 4v). Also make sure the SLI jumpers are in default positions (1-2 I think).

Did you try the RAM in all slots. I think only one stick works better in slot 1, but I can't be sure.
    Have you posted on DFI-Street, I don't see a similar thread.
    When you reset the CMOS there is a special way you can do it, the jumper must be left in the reset position for at least 10 mins, and I would turn the power on while the jumper is in that position too.
    Trying to think of any caveats that I came across. I'll post here if I remember anything

Don't throw it out, the board is worth it in the end, believe me ;)
    I haven't touched the DIMM jumper and I'm pretty certain I double checked that everything was at default before I first tried to boot up. I tried 1 stick of ram in all slots. I might post on DFI-Street aswell. Will try your way of resetting the CMOS but I really don't think that's the problem. I'd say it's either the board or the PSU. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah I leave the CMOS jumper in reset for a lot more than the usually recommended 2-3 seconds

Disconnect all mobo connectors that are unnecessary for boot (usb, ide, floppy, sata, etc)

Use only one memory stick (preferably one you know is working). Try all banks if the manual is not clear about which bank to use for use of 1 stick. Try a graphics car you know is working.

Only connect the 2 PSU powercables, graphics card, power button lead from the case, cpu and memory. Everything else is not necessary to post to BIOS and would make troubleshooting more complicated

yo aaf, have you sorted your problem?

guess what? iv a fu<ked mobo too....join the fricking club i suppose.

im 3 days at it and no luck....iv now posted on 3 tech suport sites (including DFI street) with no luck. bollox to this board. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

he did get it fixed he droped over to me the other day and i tested his psu's with an antec psu tester that i have and we found the problem to be the new ANTEC NEOPOWER he got from komppet to be dead ,so the spare 350 he had ran the mobo and he got it to boot up so a happy ending to this story ...well at least the mobo isnt dead ...but the PSU is 6 feet under :o

I am in the middle of installing OS. Yeah, brought over the essentials to dubdvd's the other night and we discovered the new Antec NeoPower 480W was doa. I just put my old Antec TruePower 380W back into my Sonata and although it's not the min recommended wattage, it's working away and will do so until I get a replacement NeoPower from komplett. I wonder how long it will take to get a replacement? Never had to RMA anything. Anyway, cheers dubdvd!

• Advertisement

lucky you! Well im in the process of trying to find out how i RMA my board. Any chance you know how to? where?

An RMA to Komplett takes about 2+ weeks.....first it goes back to komplett, then its sent to Holland to get looked at / fixed / find out whats wrong. Then they decide to take the finger out and send you out a new one via there cheap ass delivery company (4-5days)

So yeah 2+ weeks! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Nice one you got it all sorted. I know how it feels to build a computer turn it on and no one is home :(

Advertisement