Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of Eyre Sq.

• 26-04-2005 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

The state of Eyre Sq. Last time I was in Galway it looked like a bomb went off in it.
    Anyone know when the renovations will be finished?
    If ever there was a use for the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". And why are they taking so long, I could've done it by myself with a pick axe and shovel in half the time.
    I doubt very much it'll be as good when they're done as when they started.

End of rant.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It was broke - traffic in the town is madness - it may or may not help though - we'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ruadan

Are the workers still on strike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

They should've paid them for several shifts from the beginning, have teams working from 6am till 9pm or so. Put up Arc lighting in the evening or early morning. Pay them well for the hours, keep it on schedule and it'd have been done in 6months tops, and would cost the same if not less than it does now, AND there wouldn't be so much of an impact on the tourist trade.

Muppets.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

got a taxi from eyre square to wards today appalling traffic.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

got a taxi from eyre square to wards today appalling traffic.....

You lazy son of a!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Asok wrote:
    You lazy son of a!

lol ya but i was goin home from an exam with some1 and after we got the bus to eyre square she said there was no way she was walking to wards.so we 'had' to get a taxi and she wouldnt let me pay woo!
    7 euros or a 2 minute walk :) i don't quite follow her choice yet....
    (2nd day in a row it's happened to)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Ruadan wrote:
    Are the workers still on strike?
    Might as well be, the bloody thing hasnt changed in months!
    All they seem to be doing to it is making it smaller and a few new trees, I taught it was fine the way it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ruadan

the trees hardly replace the swathe they cut through the old ones......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

Ruadan wrote:
    the trees hardly replace the swathe they cut through the old ones......

But they did plant some new ones at the top of the square, opposite the Bank of Irealnd and in the middle of the new bus stop area.

Maybe we should go on strike not the workers? A one-day general downing of tools should bring the city to a standstill. It would make a good protest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

The whole state of the place sucks. They've been building for ages and ages and hardly anything is been done. Granted for a while they had to stop for archeological reasons. ie; there were human bones found in an area of Eyre square. What with the area being a gallows until the eighteenth and nineteenth century.

Still doesn't allow, the effin state of the place though.. dust flying everwhere, terrible traffic etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Kharn wrote:
    It was broke - traffic in the town is madness - it may or may not help though - we'll have to wait and see.

And how exactly could it help matters?

Moving traffic effectively one block over (richardson's and fibbers side heading north and Bothar Ui hEithir heading south) is a complete waste of time — all this will achieve is creating further traffic jams on Bothar Ui hEithir as traffic from prospect hill, eyre square, eyre street, eglinton street and college road will end up stuck at the lights at the Fairgreen no matter where they are trying to go.

And pedestrianising the Skeff side of the square so that traffic will have to go around the northern side of the square (the taxi rank) to get down Williamsgate Street (Fallers) is madness — the city council are fcukin idiots. I see the concept of joining the Square to a pedestrianised street, but what's the point when traffic will be allowed up and down Williamsgate street — that's a break in the pedest. zone.

Next, they want to start digging up Williamsgate Street, which was supposed to happen at the beginning of February and finish at the end of May.

The entire thing is supposed to be finished on either Oct 30 or Nov 5, can't remember which — that was always the completion date.

Advertisement