Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a house

Options
  • 26-04-2005 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi all
    i am currently looking into buying my first place but there is loads of info i want to find out first
    i now hear a few of the banks are leanding 100% has any one opted for this
    also how much extra cost isa involved eg silcotiors fee ,surviers etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

lynn wrote:
    hi all
    i am currently looking into buying my first place but there is loads of info i want to find out first

You would be better off getting a mortgage broker, having a good long chat and discussing the ins and outs. Where were you planning on buying? There are many good brokers with Mason Estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I dont think any bank will offer you a full 100%. A broker as said will be a good choice as they will sit you down and explain the whole thing to you.
    Solicitors will cost in the reigon of €1500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

at best banks wil offer you 95% of the down payment for the house.

Once you get that out of the way, you need life and house insurance before the deal can be closed. If you have any questions pm me as have just bought a house in galway :)
    Best tip is get a good mortgage advisor as she/he will do most of the work for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Hmmm.. I think Bank of Scotland are doing 100%, if you want to look into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭[InsertHandle]

lynn wrote:
    hi all

Doing the same myself. Dropped into the Morgage company. They said you need 8% yourself and the morgage is the other 92%. They also said that 1st active and perminant TSB are the only banks who are really targeting first time buyers at the moment. I'm making an application tomorrow .. i'll let u know how it goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Moved from AH

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

AFAIK some banks are offering 100% mortgages, but only to what they consider 'professionals', i.e. doctors, dentists, solicitors, accountants, maybe pharmacists.

AFAIK some banks are offering 100% mortgages, but only to what they consider 'professionals', i.e. doctors, dentists, solicitors, accountants, maybe pharmacists.

Are they legally allowed offer 100% mortagages? Afaik, only 92% of the value of the house may be paid using borrowed money. Technically, the rest should come from non-credit funds.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

are you aware that if you earn less than 36 grand a year you are entitled to a Dublin Co. Co. Shared Ownership Scheme loan (I'm presuming you live in Dublin of course, all co. co. do it, but the amount they will give you is different)
    anyways
    dublin co. co. will give you up to 230k to work with, and all you will have to give them is less than 2k deposit - a fantastic way to start off on the property ladder, (speaking from experience here)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

seamus wrote:
    Are they legally allowed offer 100% mortagages? Afaik, only 92% of the value of the house may be paid using borrowed money. Technically, the rest should come from non-credit funds.

its a buy to let product i believe, different rules more of a "home loan" than a mortgage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Try REA or Ferguson & Associates - to kick things off and get some basic info for your particular situation.

As has already been stated, for the most part, only 92% mortgages are available. All the info you need is already available - if you try the mortgage section of the askaboutmoney.com forum, read the previous posts. A few hours there will put you in the picture as to whats possible.

Beruthiel wrote:
    are you aware that if you earn less than 36 grand a year you are entitled to a Dublin Co. Co. Shared Ownership Scheme loan (I'm presuming you live in Dublin of course, all co. co. do it, but the amount they will give you is different)
    anyways
    dublin co. co. will give you up to 230k to work with, and all you will have to give them is less than 2k deposit - a fantastic way to start off on the property ladder, (speaking from experience here)

Link? :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

seamus wrote:
    Link? :)

I wasn't speaking from a link seamus, it was something I did myself a few years back....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

seamus wrote:

They are legally allowed to offer 100%, but most banks only offer them to professional individuals ... In my case [I'm an accountant] I was approved for a loan of 97% based on the fact that I was doing my finals ... If I had waited 2 weeks I would have gotten 100%

When I queried the guy in the bank on this 100%, he said they offer it because professionals "basically print their own money"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

LoneGunM@n wrote:
    They are legally allowed to offer 100%, but most banks only offer them to professional individuals ... In my case [I'm an accountant] I was approved for a loan of 97% based on the fact that I was doing my finals ... If I had waited 2 weeks I would have gotten 100%

final exams? What age were you?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

Beruthiel wrote:
    anyways

Yeah, sounds great until you go and look it up for Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown area

Taken from www.dlrcoco.ie:
    Due to the lack of land, this scheme is not at present operated by the Council but will be considered when appropriate lands become available.

Promises promises

or should I say premises, premises :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

vector wrote:
    final exams? What age were you?

28, why?

why ok then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

LoneGunM@n wrote:
    28, why?

I presume vector thought you were doing your college finals as opposed to your final accountancy exams and it was giving him hope.

Come on Vector I'm right amn't I? :D

• Advertisement

0utshined wrote:
    I presume vector thought you were doing your college finals as opposed to your final accountancy exams and it was giving him hope.

Come on Vector I'm right amn't I? :D

yep you have 0utshined yourself, was wondering how someone doing college exams was buying a house, sort of raises the bar (unless it was a mature student)

vector wrote:
    yep you have 0utshined yourself

ooh, good pun!

It's not unheard of though, I know a girl who bought a house with her boyfriend about two months after she left college but he'd been working fulltime for a few years at that stage. Oh, and she'd studied accountancy!

0utshined wrote:
    ooh, good pun!

It's not unheard of though, I know a girl who bought a house with her boyfriend about two months after she left college but he'd been working fulltime for a few years at that stage. Oh, and she'd studied accountancy!

surely you've heard that pun before?
    or should I say surely this isint the first time its seen the light of day?
    or should I say surely this isint the first time its been outed?
    or should I say surely the heretofore status of the pun wasnt 0?

ok

vector wrote:
    surely you've heard that pun before?
    or should I say surely this isint the first time its seen the light of day?
    or should I say surely this isint the first time its been outed?
    or should I say surely the heretofore status of the pun wasnt 0?

ok

Very ok, the guys got skills! Haven't heard any of them before, they're a bit of an uncouth lot here on Boards ( No, not you reading this post , I meant the others :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Hi,
    You are entitled to a 100% mortgage if you are a doctor accountant etc. Apart from that you have to have 8% deposit and borrow 92% of the value of the property. You are better off talking to an Independent Mortgage Advisor, they can do the leg work for you and back up your application with the lender.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

andyeire wrote:
    Hi,
    You are entitled to a 100% mortgage if you are a doctor accountant etc. Apart from that you have to have 8% deposit and borrow 92% of the value of the property. You are better off talking to an Independent Mortgage Advisor, they can do the leg work for you and back up your application with the lender.
    do southern irish banks give sterling loans and take security on a northern property?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Yes, you can get a sterling loan, but mostly for an investment property, there is only one lender doing it at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 corkqq

:p

I am seeking propery in "rent to buy" , since I am foreigner, so at least I need work for one more year to get citizenship here so as to buy my own home, I wonder if someone can introduce some " rent to buy" service provider in cork, that will be very helpful. my email: corkqq@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

lomb wrote:
    do southern irish banks give sterling loans and take security on a northern property?
    All the main banks have parents / subsidaries in the North.

BOI = BOI
    AIB = First Trust
    National Irish Bank = Northern Bank
    Ulster Bank = Ulster Bank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

corkqq wrote:
    I am seeking propery in "rent to buy"
    I'm not sure what you mean by "rent to buy", that ownership model doesn't exist in the Irish market.

Advertisement