Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where are motorbikes allowed park?

Options
  • 26-04-2005 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭

Where are motorbikes allowed park? In Dublin they aren't allowed park in Pay and Display spaces and most of the rest of the roadspace are other palces wher ethey aren't allowed park?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

in the words of bam margera:
    "wherever the fck they want"

my bike instructor advised me the best place to lock your bike is anywhere you can lock it something.
    a lampost or whatnot will prevent trafficops impounding it for the laugh.
    if you want security,
    most car parks in the cc will allow bikes in for free, assuming they park in the reserved bike space inside,
    just go round the barriers and park at one of the colums,
    or else park on o'connell st with the rest of the bikes,
    eiother at the spike or the garda station

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Anyone know if you must pay for bike parking at the new Dundrum centre?

Also any confirmed secure free carparking in Dublin City Centre carparks?

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Realistically anywhere you can get one in as long as its fairly sensible. I've never been nicked. Not sure what the legal situation is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

a guard told me once that if you see a proper car space (and assuming that you have paid your road tax) you can park there

but realisticly anywhere, but the best places are where their are lots of other bikes around

another good idea is to park near an atm as their are always cameras looking onto your bike for security

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not sure what the legalities are of parking on the path, but in reality there are very few other places to park it.
    Park it parallel to the road, on the side of the road, it becomes a sitting duck for thieves, and is likely to be side-swiped by dozy drivers or cyclists.
    Park it in a parking space, and it's liable to be knocked over by someone or hit by someone who thinks the space is empty and rushes in. It's also an even bigger sitting duck for thieves, as other vehicles provide them with cover.

In reality, locking them to a lampost on/beside the path is the only way you can lock your bike. If it's locked properly, people won't be able to move it/knock it over.

As Chalk says, a good place in the city is on O'Connell St with the other bikes. Also, on the South end of Grafton St, you'll see a rake of bikes parked under the camera, which is a pretty safe place till around 6pm. There are usually couriers hanging around there most of the time too, so no-one's going to mess with the bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cal wrote:
    Also any confirmed secure free carparking in Dublin City Centre carparks?
    The car park on Jervis St. [not the jervis centre] - on the left as you drive down there.
    seamus wrote:
    In reality, locking them to a lampost on/beside the path is the only way you can lock your bike. If it's locked properly, people won't be able to move it/knock it over.
    I remember catching some knacker with the front wheel of a colleagues moped in his hands on Merrion Sq. a few years back.
    She always locked the back to a signpost but this prick wanted the front!!!
    seamus wrote:
    As Chalk says, a good place in the city is on O'Connell St with the other bikes. Also, on the South end of Grafton St, you'll see a rake of bikes parked under the camera, which is a pretty safe place till around 6pm. There are usually couriers hanging around there most of the time too, so no-one's going to mess with the bikes.
    You may get people sitting on it/playing with it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I find a pretty good spot is at College Green taxi rank, right on the island in the middle of dame street. There are bike railings sunk into the ground so you can wrap a chain around it. As it's in the middle of that street, nobody is in a position to stop a van and lift your bike either, and there are no pedestrians to muck about with your bike. Obviously the same case doesn't apply late on a Friday or Saturday night when you have a taxi rank full of drunken idiots, but during the day or early evening it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

seamus wrote:
    If you're gonna park it on O'Connell Street, make sure you don't have any accesories or easily removeable parts, i.e. tax disc holders, helmets, et al...

I had my bike parked there one day, and this fireman who was collecting for charity came over to me, asking if I knew who owned a particular Kwacker sports-bike.. the bike had a helmet locked into the helmet holder on the rear seat, however, some dirty scumbags, cut the strap with a Stanley knife and ran off with it, in full view of everyone in the middle of the afternoon on a Sunday..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

seamus wrote:
    Park it in a parking space, and it's liable to be knocked over by someone or hit by someone who thinks the space is empty and rushes in. It's also an even bigger sitting duck for thieves, as other vehicles provide them with cover.
    Not allowed in the city, but I have to admit, I've never seen it enforced.

Victor wrote:
    Not allowed in the city, but I have to admit, I've never seen it enforced.
    Bikes aren't allowed to park in parking spaces in the city? Is this a law? Sounds very odd..

• Advertisement

Bikes aren't allowed to park in parking spaces in the city? Is this a law? Sounds very odd..

Surely as we pay the same road tax, and would pay the same parking charges (or no charge outside of hours) we should be entitled to use on street parking..??

I've emailed the council/corpo, see what they say..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

spockety wrote:
    Surely as we pay the same road tax, and would pay the same parking charges (or no charge outside of hours) we should be entitled to use on street parking..??

This is NOT a dis at motorbikes, so please read fully before blowing a fuse.

I dont think bikes should park in car places, because it is a bit of a waste of a spot. What I mean by this is, it would be okay if two or three could share a spot, each with their own fee paid, but 1 bike in 1 car sized spot would not be very sensible.
    But maybe if one spot in every ten was divided into three, with a frame for securely locking bikes? I mean, they easily implemented a rule for a disabled parking, and mother and child parking (i think it is based on a percentage of places), so the same can easily be applied to motorbikes?

prospect wrote:
    This is NOT a dis at motorbikes, so please read fully before blowing a fuse.

I dont think bikes should park in car places, because it is a bit of a waste of a spot. What I mean by this is, it would be okay if two or three could share a spot, each with their own fee paid, but 1 bike in 1 car sized spot would not be very sensible.
    But maybe if one spot in every ten was divided into three, with a frame for securely locking bikes? I mean, they easily implemented a rule for a disabled parking, and mother and child parking (i think it is based on a percentage of places), so the same can easily be applied to motorbikes?

Yep, dedicated bike bays with secure parking would be excellent!

however, lets just for the moment assume for the sake of argument that we live in a city where the council/corporation cannot, will not, or would not implement anything like that despite bikers asking for it (which they have), should bikes be allowed to park in on street parking spots, having paid our road tax like everyone else?

What entitles a single occupant car to take up a single car space that does not entitle a single occupant tax paying bike to take up the same parking spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

im happy enough parking where i like,
    if they made bike bays, then theyed make us use them and fine for not.

just park where you want, its much handier than looking for a spot.
    if you want security use a car par, they let you park beside the columns for free as your not taking up any space

Chalk wrote:
    im happy enough parking where i like,
    if they made bike bays, then theyed make us use them and fine for not.

just park where you want, its much handier than looking for a spot.
    if you want security use a car par, they let you park beside the columns for free as your not taking up any space

Anyone got specific examples of car parks that you can do this in?
    Fleet Street? College of Surgeons?

how do you get in and out, is there enough space to nip around the barrier on entry and exit, or do you have to take a ticket??

spockety wrote:
    Yep, dedicated bike bays with secure parking would be excellent!

however, lets just for the moment assume for the sake of argument that we live in a city where the council/corporation cannot, will not, or would not implement anything like that despite bikers asking for it (which they have), should bikes be allowed to park in on street parking spots, having paid our road tax like everyone else?

What entitles a single occupant car to take up a single car space that does not entitle a single occupant tax paying bike to take up the same parking spot?

That is fair enough, And if i had a bike i would certainly be peeved at the situation.
    The issue here is making the space available for everyone, so if one bike was to take up a full spot, instead of parking at an angle making room for one or possibly two more bikes, then that is reducing the number of spots available for all other motorists cars and bikes alike.

I see no logical reason why the council shouldn't allow this to be the case. It is simple, launch an ad campaign saying bikes can park in car spots. And couple in a habit forming practise of parking in such a way that at least two bikes can share a spot.

Actually, you guys should do it anyway...
    Set the trend bikers, SET THE TREND :)

prospect wrote:
    dont think bikes should park in car places, because it is a bit of a waste of a spot.
    What about particularly large cars that take up more than 1 space (hummers for example, or Maybacks)? What about those drivers who are incapable of parking between two solid white lines? Why not tackle them first?
    prospect wrote:
    Actually, you guys should do it anyway...
    Set the trend bikers, SET THE TREND
    Why don't you SET THE TREND and buy a bike and use that to travel everyday? Then you can also share a parking space with several other vehicles.
    *SET THE TREND*

As both a car driver and bike rider I have absolutely no problem with a bike taking up a parking space. In circumstances where there are few spaces available however, I will always leave these to vehicles that have a greater need for them. Always.

Shouldn't the emphasis be on trying to improve congestion and environmental impact by encouraging commuters to use more motorcycles, rather than facilitating those people who take their cars, by providing them with even more parking spaces?

Why don't you SET THE TREND and buy a bike and use that to travel everyday?

My, My, aren't we on the defensive today!

I don't want to buy a bike because i don't like motorbikes.

All i am doing is offering a logical suggestion. I am not anti motorbikes in any way.

What i am saying is, why use two parking spaces with one bike in each, when two bikes can fit in one space? It makes absoloutly no sence what-so-ever to have one bike per space, which is double the size of the bike.
    This is not from a car drivers point of view, its from a road users point of view. After all, the two spaces could then accommodate 4 bikes!

As for hummers & maybachs, these are very very small minorities, What about if a spaceship wanted to park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

I'd have no qualms about removing a bike from a C A R parking space, and neither should anyone else, it teaches the cheeky f*ckers not to park there again.

If you should accidentally drop the bike ~ just leave it and move onto the next available parking spot. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

528i wrote:
    I'd have no qualms about removing a bike from a C A R parking space, and neither should anyone else, it teaches the cheeky f*ckers not to park there again.

If you should accidentally drop the bike ~ just leave it and move onto the next available parking spot. :cool:

You are the biggest tool i have come across in a very long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Within the boundaries of Cork City Council a two wheeled vehicle (be it mechinally or physically propelled) is not allowed to park in a Council owned parking space, even if it displays a valid vehicular parking disc (Cork uses parking discs and not metres)

This is a technicality and I've never seen any bike clamped or ticketed though.

prospect wrote:
    My, My, aren't we on the defensive today!
    Sorry, yes, I am a bit grumpy today, But I think my point is a fair point (albeit not very diplomatically offered). If you want to increase the number of available parking spaces, then encourage motorcycles, public transport, bicycles, walking and other non-car means of transport. Having more available parking spaces will create more problems than it solves. Oh and like I said, I will never park my bike in a parking space when there are limited numbers of spaces available.

Spaceships should park on top of buildings. Everyone knows that. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

I know of one set of motorcycle parking spaces, on Princes St between the GPO and Penneys. Parking for 6 bikes or so, but generally used by bicycles :rolleyes:
    I'd be slow enough to park in a car parking space; dang cages can hardly see us when we're moving let never mind being stationary! Although I do have to sometimes use a _parking_ space in a supermarket as I won't used a bay for a disabled driver. But I make sure the bike is to the rear of the bay to give the clueless drivers something to see.

I agree with Chalk's point; if they provide dedicated bays, then the coucil are likely to enforce use of them and fine us for not using them. I like to be able to park in the middle of O'Connell St :D Wouldn't do it for long though. Too many philistines about.

The council would really only be able to enforce use of bike parking bays if there was enough supply to meet demand. It's obvious that a 6 bike bay on even 10 streets in the city is not going to be enough to cover the demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

spockety wrote:
    :rolleyes: But the charge for using parking is the Pay and Dispaly fee, nothing to do with tax.
    I've emailed the council/corpo, see what they say..
    I know - I wrote/edited part of the Bye-laws (not the motorbikes bit).

Advertisement