Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing baby's name

Options
  • 26-04-2005 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

does anyone have an opinion on the rights and wrongs of changing the first name of a one-year old? under pending civil registration laws, it will be possible to do this. this query involves (perhaps) adding a new name to front of current first name, possibly calling child by both together, and then dropping the second after a while. opinions gratefully received.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

well if the child is registered you cant change their name only they can at 18 throw d pole*

*not sure of spelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Many people are know as and called a name that is not on thier birthcert.
    My own uncle got a shock on his wedding day when he was asked did he take
    'Julia Mary' as his wife and not 'Sheila'.

You can change the name of a child by deedpole, which makes it the childs legal name, but you must ensure to present those documents along with the birthcert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

well in 2000 i enquired about changing my daughters name later on and i was told that once the birth cert is made up deedpole is for people 18+ to change their name.

Well I know some one who did it two years agon in 2003.
    She had the childs surname changed to her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Why do you want to, out of curiousity?We had our sons name picked out for months before he was born. When he was about 5 months old I started feeling I'd made a mistake, but it passed after about a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

some info here that might help - although I think there is new legislation on the way in the next few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Shabadu wrote:
    Why do you want to, out of curiousity?We had our sons name picked out for months before he was born. When he was about 5 months old I started feeling I'd made a mistake, but it passed after about a month.

Mistake?

How do you make a mistake on a childs name, unless you called him Mary or somesuch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 linzi

to answer Shabadu's query re: why change baby's name: we had a name chosen during pg, but at the last minute changed it as it was getting extremely popular. however, i now wish i had chosen that one, despite its popularity.

thanks Angry Penguin and others for info so far.

to kasintahu: any reasonable name chosen for a baby is not a mistake, as you say. but it is possible to feel you mistakenly chose one name over another.

Naming our children is one of the biggest things really.
    Would we have grown up differently or
    Toughts of ourselves differently if our own parents had of name use otherwise?
    Being a Janet has had several effects on my life that no other name could have. I was meant to be called something completely deferent by the accounting of my parents but apparently a few hours old I looked like a Janet.

A person's name is caught up with thier identity, that of thier family, thier culture and of in most cases where they are from.
    Every child should have a story to be told them about thier name,
    What it means, where it comes from, why that name.

But what we are named by our parents and what we are called and what is on our butchers is not always the same thing.
    A name can be changed by usage alone.

Advertisement