Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

P2P Clients?? which is the daddy?

• 27-04-2005 12:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I entered the wonderfull world of file sharing about 6 months ago, in that time i have only used soulseek and more recently bear share. What is everyone else using, eh?

I mainly download dance/house music and so far have heard that soulseek is the best for that kind of tripe, however the figgin service pack 2 thingie on XP is messing up my ability to use soulseek, complete nightmare. What client do you recommend, and i don't want no spyware either!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

DC++ (google)

Once you get used to resuming and finding the best hubs
    then you will like it.

It will take you about a week to get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

dc++ is ok if you have patience

personally i find news groups to be the best, if your lazy like me, and want speed and convenience, but are willing to pay

i use a combination of newsleecher (application), newzbin (message id .nzb files £1 for month) and usenetserver ($3 for 3 days)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ive been using Win-Mx for years. Very user friendly.

Ares is also pretty good but there is like a crisis with regards to incorrectly named files :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭radiospan

Soulseek.

Try to sort out those SP2 problems (switch off the Windows Firewall).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Well I don't use P2P, because I'm a good boy who pays all their royalties, but my friend says Bearshare is the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Tsk, you silly kids. IRC is for the real men. IRC - helping cheapskates download illegal stuff since 1992.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

hostyle wrote:
    Tsk, you silly kids. IRC is for the real men. IRC - helping cheapskates download illegal stuff since 1992.
    Yes, IRC is no good for newbies though. YOu have to know where to go for the good Fserve stuff. Using something like ircspy or packetnews for xdcc shows you a very limited impression of what's available.

To original poster: Emule is the way to go. It can be slow at times, but you can get anything on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Limewire. Hands down. Have never not found a song on it (ahem, to listen to before buying the album). Have tried kazaa, shareaza,bearshare,filedonkey, soulseek and none compare.
    Havent tried DC++ though.

Also use "bitlord" with "peer guardian" and use isohunt.com for the torrents (when looking for the video of the popes inauguration).

Whats with the newsgroups? any links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Soulseek - best p2p proggie out there for music, its the only one i use now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm so sick and tired of telling people not to go on about illegal stuff on this board. Next person that explicitely stats that they download stuff illegally (or through reasonable inferance) gets a ban. That's it.There are two instances of people explicitly stating that they download stuff illegally in this thread.

I'm one twitch away from closing this (otherwise very useful) thread. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

http://www.slyck.com/

That's all you need - tells you everything you want to know about nearly every P2P application.

Go nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Bittorent's the best one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Bitlord.

The Biz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Limewire. Hands down. Have never not found a song on it (ahem, to listen to before buying the album). Have tried kazaa, shareaza,bearshare,filedonkey, soulseek and none compare.
    Havent tried DC++ though.

Also use "bitlord" with "peer guardian" and use isohunt.com for the torrents (when looking for the video of the popes inauguration).

Whats with the newsgroups? any links?

Wow, I'd hate to do a Spyware scan on your system. You do realise, with the exception of perhaps Soulseek, that you have just mentioned about the highest P2P offenders in relation to installing a hell of a load of spyware on computers?

Let us prey for this guy's pc's health. n00b.
    For me DC++ works a treat but it can get a bit tiresome trying to find someone with a decent T1 or T3 to get good speeds from. Bittorrent would be my next port of call but not the default client... get something like BitComet.

Limewire indeed... hahaha.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Yeah id advise downloading Microsoft Antispyware and leave it running constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Fairly illegal tbh.

John

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Brings up that whole can of worms about having some form of discussion about P2P, while not crossing the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

newsgroups piss all over p2p imo.

hi-speed. no uploads. file quality. direct download.

p2p is for cheapskates looking for the most recent Britney track etc :)

that's true to a point. newsgroups content retention is where it suffers - yes its great for the latest x, y and z, but for rarer stuff look to emule or bittorrent (if you're lucky).

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    that's true to a point. newsgroups content retention is where it suffers - yes its great for the latest x, y and z, but for rarer stuff look to emule or bittorrent (if you're lucky).

even with 30 day retention, newsgroup's selection far exceed any p2p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

you're right about that. Retention is a drawback. When i'm looking for something obscure or rare i often have resort to p2p.

For large files, ISOs (linux) etc. newsgroups win out for me.

not wanting to get a banning here, but it depends on what you want. For example if I want a particular linux iso from 1972 or something - I would be relying on someone to have posted it to usenet in the last 30 days. Or if i want an linux iso album that is a bit obscure.

Haivng extensively used newsgroups, I do love them. The ability to download at 4MB/s is great (note big "B"). But for rarer stuff emule.

Bittorrent has a tendency to group things together. So if i wanted an entire season / series of linux isos then that would probably be the best.

So in summary, yes usenet has a huge selection of stuff. 99.5% of which I have no interest in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

quarryman wrote:
    newsgroups piss all over p2p imo

Provided you can actually access them. Can name one free irish news server with alt.binary.* on it? Or non-irish for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    not wanting to get a banning here, but it depends on what you want. For example if I want a particular linux iso from 1972 or something - I would be relying on someone to have posted it to usenet in the last 30 days. Or if i want an linux iso album that is a bit obscure.

Haivng extensively used newsgroups, I do love them. The ability to download at 4MB/s is great (note big "B"). But for rarer stuff emule.

Bittorrent has a tendency to group things together. So if i wanted an entire season / series of linux isos then that would probably be the best.

So in summary, yes usenet has a huge selection of stuff. 99.5% of which I have no interest in.

Bittorrent groups things together but if you have a decent client you can pick and choose what files you want to download. Use Azureus.

i know that. I'm merely saying if i was interested in something... for the sake of completion...

hostyle wrote:
    Provided you can actually access them. Can name one free irish news server with alt.binary.* on it? Or non-irish for that matter.

yes, you gotta pay :(

newshosting, usenetserver and giganews are good

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jayneemac

Achilles wrote:

Limewire Pro has no spyware!

Win-MX is complete garbage - que up a file & you might get it a month later.

Sort out SP2 & continue using Soulseek :D

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

<snip>

So if i wanted an entire season / series of linux isos then that would probably be the best.

OMG.

The only reason you're not getting a banning is that I'm pissin' myself here.

Seriously though...funny or otherwise....next offence (by reasonable inference) gets a banning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Wow, I'd hate to do a Spyware scan on your system. You do realise, with the exception of perhaps Soulseek, that you have just mentioned about the highest P2P offenders in relation to installing a hell of a load of spyware on computers?
    No, I didnt know that. Ive been using both (limewire and bitlord) for quite some time and have no spyware. At all. In fact the last time I did it wasnt from using P2P. Limewire has not had spyware since version 3, its at least over a year since it went to 4, currently at 4.8.1, and even when at version 3 the spyware was easily unbundled if you knew what to do. Did you not know that? n00b.
    (cant speak for the other software I mentioned as I stopped using them after I didnt like their performance)
    Let us prey for this guy's pc's health. n00b.
    You dont need to prey for me at all. My pc is fine because I keep it so. Does one only stop becoming a n00b when they know everything? I didnt know I was in such exalted company.
    For me DC++ works a treat but it can get a bit tiresome trying to find someone with a decent T1 or T3 to get good speeds from. Bittorrent would be my next port of call but not the default client... get something like BitComet.
    Or indeed another alternative client, bitlord, which I suggested in my first post.
    I use Limewire because Ive never not been able to find something on it. Ever. Its also now recognised as the most used client on the gnutella network.

However, each to their own and if DC++ rocks your boat then fine but provide some evidence as to why you feel you need to laugh at others.

<have just read Khannies post on banning and have tried to deliberately not mention downloading by inference or otherwise, although its a bit like not mentioning driving when talking about whats your favorite car. Im probably running a fine line but had to defend myself>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I am also a Limewire devotee and before i got the good, albeit ironic, idea to use Limewire to download Limewire Pro, Adaware was always running on my pc to keep it tip-top... and it still is :D

Rhyme wrote:
    I am also a Limewire devotee and before i got the good, albeit ironic, idea to use Limewire to download Limewire Pro, Adaware was always running on my pc to keep it tip-top... and it still is :D
    ensmallen your sig man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    ensmallen your sig man.
    Done and dusted... ill make a smaller one later

Rhyme wrote:
    I am also a Limewire devotee and before i got the good, albeit ironic, idea to use Limewire to download Limewire Pro

Right. THAT'S ******* IT.

One ban coming up.

Edit: I'm also closing the thread, like I said I would. Enough is enough. You are all putting the whole boards.ie community in danger by explicitly discussing illegal activity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement