Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prize bonds..worth it?

Options
  • 27-04-2005 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Seeing as the banks are offering a $hite rate of interest and I dont know an awful lot about the stock market would anyone recomend buying prize bonds?
    Any success stories?
    Are the odds really that good?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

Prize bonds are not an investment as such, they are a lottery. The only difference is that it is a cheap lottery to play in that the cost is the inflationary effect on your bond holding.

If you win, obviously it's a great punt (just like the lottery) but it's not an investment. Have you paid off all outstanding loans? That's a much better investment than putting it into a savings account esp. if you are paying payment protection insurance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Mother has a drawer full of them going back to the seventies, never won a penny. I fail to see the logic. I certainly fail to see the logic of buying them as a replacement for bank interest rates. They may be crap, but at least they're guaranteed.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Most portfolios will have a few prize bonds in them but it is not an investment stratagey, more a bit of a punt. They have two main problems if you don't win : 1) there is no interest paid and 2) The real value of your money has decreased. By all means get a few but it's not an investment. If you don't know a whole lot about direct equity investment then maybe you could put some money in a managed fund and buy a couple of books on shares?

Advertisement