Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL - USB or RJ45?

• 27-04-2005 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I recently (well actually 3hrs ago to be exact) changed the cable between my router and my PC. I was using the supplied RJ45 type network cable and it's worked fine for weeks.

However, I wanted to use the network port for a cctv system so I changed the connecting cable to a USB instead, and loaded up the drivers.

Everything's fine... BUT my DSL has 'hung' about 7 times since!
    The USB light looks like its 'flickering' all the time, instead of on steady? (ZyXEL Prestige 600 series) - dunno is this normal??

Has anyone else experienced their connection 'hanging' on USB??
    Or is Network cable better?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

The light flickering is just the usb traffic light. Might not help but but ive heard of this causing probs in the past, check in in device manager and see if the usb ports have power saving when idle on if they do disable on all the ports and see if that helps.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

USB sucks, buy a cheaper switch (€14 from Komplett) or even better a router.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

when I start up my machine, the DSL modem takes a while to settle down and allow me to connect to the service. i.e. the DSL light flashes for a while before it goes solid and until it does I am unable to connect to it. Is this a normal thing for DSL to do or is it something to do with using USB or is it something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

LFCFan wrote:
    when I start up my machine, the DSL modem takes a while to settle down and allow me to connect to the service. i.e. the DSL light flashes for a while before it goes solid and until it does I am unable to connect to it. Is this a normal thing for DSL to do or is it something to do with using USB or is it something else?
    Its not normal.
    Its not USB.

-> Its something else.

I'm using the ZyExel modem that UTV supply. Has anyone else seen this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

when a modem starts up, the light blinks, indicating authentication etc, just like 'dialing up'. Once it is steady the link is connected.

Some other modems have more than 1 light, or will even just have an ACT light, a 'link' light stays on when connected. an ACT-type light blinks, indicating activity etc. Determine what type of light it is that you are looking at before saying 'the light on my modem is blinking all the time, is this normal' , as for routers etc. they can also have a diferent color for a link light, indicating 10Mbps or 100Mbps

JNive wrote:
    Determine what type of light it is that you are looking at before saying 'the light on my modem is blinking all the time, is this normal' ,

I did. I said the DSL light, as in DSL is written below the light. USB is written below the other light which flashes when there is traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

i wasnt actually directing the statement soley at you. My modem has an ADSL link light. i then have a 2nd which is the Ethernet light, and a third which is a Power light. My router has 2 lights per port ( link+act & speed ) a power light, a fault light, a wi-fi act light and 2 WAN lights ( link+act & speed )

Just showing people of the wide variety of lights on modems and routers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

USb is simply rubbish for this kinda thing, use the RJ45 wire. As someone else said get a cheap switch or hub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

As far as I remember: If you use the USB-connection, you loose a bit of CPU-power to the DSL-modem. If you use the RJ45 connection, no resources are wasted. So, USB-BAD, RJ45-GOOD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

qwertz wrote:
    As far as I remember: If you use the USB-connection, you loose a bit of CPU-power to the DSL-modem. If you use the RJ45 connection, no resources are wasted. So, USB-BAD, RJ45-GOOD!
    That's one of the main cons to using the USB connection my CPU would increase in temp by up to 3C when I used the USB connection for my modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭The Security ma

Interesting!

I guess the USB cable will be coming back out again then - and the RJ45 going back in! (Stuff the CCTV system :o )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

1) Get a hub or switch
    2) Get a second network card (PCI)

Take your pick
    ~snapscan

Advertisement